2017/18 Campaign concerns.....

combatbengal

#1 I know it was only preseason and we just ran basic plays but we looked like crap!

#2 I love Eifert but this guy seems to be always hurt and yet he's hurt again!

#3 We drafted Ross @ #1 and he was already broke. He recovered from that and now he's injured again.

#4 Jones and Burfict suspended again! Now I don't think Burfict should be suspended but that really doesn't matter. He won't be contributing until Oct. We could be 0-3 by then. Fingers crossed we're not!

#5 Our DB's scare me.

#6 Tackling seems to still be a huge concern.

#7 3rd string QB is out - we can't have Andy go down!

Positives:

#1 Mixon looks good!

#2 Green is healthy!

#3 Kicking game looks better this season!

#4 That Rookie on the D-line got a sack in every preseason game!

#5 Marvin is on his last year of his contract; he needs to perform!

something that may make you feel better.

I scanned through the 53 and I only see 3 guys under 200 lbs in a skill position.  Only 3 guys under 6 foot.  And everyone else is playing is tall (not DTs) , strong, and fast for their position.  

Driskell  with the broken thumb is 6'4 and 238.  That's bigger than Andy and McCarron but you've seen his speed and athleticism. I think that's why he keeps on.  He's like that guy Reggie McNeal except he's got the accuracy and presence to play QB as well as the athleticism.

You should all stop watching the preseason.  I recorded game 4 and then just hit delete.

We have one concern and one concern only:  o-line.  

We knew it before the preseason and it hasn't changed any.  If they figure out how to put lipstick on that pig, then we've got a chance to be really good.  If not, then we're looking at another top 10 pick.  

Still, I'm far more excited about this team than I was last year.  I think we knocked this draft out of the park and I'm excited to see Mixon and the new defensive talent getting real NFL snaps.

• Like 1

That's pretty well put.  I think everyone sees the same thing.  One other point is our D bent a bunch last year and didn't break that often BUT... they were shit on 3rd down.  Bending aside, they got to stop some offenses earlier just to save themselves for late in the game... and later in the season.

Bend don't break is the defense of the future for the NFL.    You can't do anything without risking a penalty, it seems.    The best defense today is make them snap the ball as many times as possible and then capitalize on a mistake.

With the Burfict suspension,  IF that's really going to be the standard of defenseless receiver or unnecessary roughness shallow drag routes will dominate the league.   I've said it for a while but D-line in pass rush resemble Volleyball blocking schemes more and more each year.

The risk/reward for contacting a QB is now slanted to the Offense.    Now if potential pass catchers are able to cross through a defense in zone coverage around 5 yards with no contact (only hand checks), forget it.   Your best defense is to try to bat the pass down instead of trying to get a hit on the QB.   You'll never get there in time and QB/Receiver timing will be impossible to disrupt.   70% completion percentage will become the low water mark of Qbing eventually. 

They need to evaluate 1st and 10 then and make 13 yards or something.   IF that's the standard, which I doubt it will seemed like a Burfict witch hunt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Bend don't break is the defense of the future for the NFL.    You can't do anything without risking a penalty, it seems.    The best defense today is make them snap the ball as many times as possible and then capitalize on a mistake.

With the Burfict suspension,  IF that's really going to be the standard of defenseless receiver or unnecessary roughness shallow drag routes will dominate the league.   I've said it for a while but D-line in pass rush resemble Volleyball blocking schemes more and more each year.

The risk/reward for contacting a QB is now slanted to the Offense.    Now if potential pass catchers are able to cross through a defense in zone coverage around 5 yards with no contact (only hand checks), forget it.   Your best defense is to try to bat the pass down instead of trying to get a hit on the QB.   You'll never get there in time and QB/Receiver timing will be impossible to disrupt.   70% completion percentage will become the low water mark of Qbing eventually. 

They need to evaluate 1st and 10 then and make 13 yards or something.   IF that's the standard, which I doubt it will seemed like a Burfict witch hunt.

No way will that be the standard.  It was definitely a league hit job on Burfict.

• Like 1