Lions DT Nick Fairley to Visit

HoosierCat

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think willy's point is that if there's a guy you want, quit dicking around and do the deal. Before 4 yesterday there were a hundred different deals already nailed down and this could have been one of them.

But once again the Bengals are behind the times. Usually the second tier of FA starts a week or so in. This year it started today. Now they're stuck in old school visits and bidding wars with teams fighting over the few remaining good players left. And they never win those because they refuse to do business like most of the rest of the league.

Or, maybe the Bengals tried and the agent said no under the assumption that there would be a bidding war.

Maybe the agent had already heard from all 6 teams over a week ago and knew it was going this way. Perhaps his client wanted to wait until free agency officially began and he was able to make official visits.

Who knows.

I get sick of all the assumptions that the Bengals FO are a bunch of lazy imbeciles.

Maybe they'll get Fairley and maybe they won't. But, seeing as how they got the first visit, it seems as if they've put forth an appropriate amount of effort.

I'm not calling the lazy but considering the evidence (results) I think it's fair to allege imbecility. At least misguided arrogance. Just look at the Hall deal the they are anchored with. Indefensible.

Or perhaps they don't value the same thing(s) that you value.

Well obviously. That's kind of the whole idea behind differences of opinion. There is no right or wrong here. But there is clear need and some obvious easy they can address it and in my view the team is not making it known the "how" and "why" of their approach. Which is their choice. Of course.

Why do you seem so quick to defend the moves or lack of. Moves this team makes? You say tings that imply you are personally offended by fans views. I don't get it.

I mentioned this before in that getting a deal done requires both sides actually wanting that to happen.

I suspect that the Bengals aren't the only team that hosts a player only to see them move on to another team.

It's something exclusive to Cincinnati.

That being said, the point I make about Fairley is that, HE IS HERE.

Do whatever needs to be done and if satisfied, work the shit out of a deal.

There is still no guarantee things will get done, but work it and go from there.

I think they will do just that and if he leaves, it will be on them and not the Bengals.

I get sick of all the assumptions that the Bengals FO are a bunch of lazy imbeciles.

How long have you been following this team? It's hardly an "assumption" that they routinely fumble things in free agency. Shoot, you only have to go all the way back to last year to find the most recent example, the blown tender decision on Andrew Hawkins. And it isn't about being "lazy imbeciles," words I'll thank you not to put in my mouth. It's about a refusal to do business in a way that's competitive with the rest of the league.

How did they "fumble" on Andrew Hawkins? The Bengals put a value on him and the Browns exceeded that. Whether you agree with the Bengals or the Browns on that one, it's hardly a "fumble".

Did they "fumble" on Carson Palmer? Or Geno Atkins? Or Michael Johnson? Or Anthony Collins? Vontaze Burfict? Clint Boling?

"A refusal to do business in a way that's competitive with the rest of the league."? What league are you talking about? The handful of teams that sign a bunch of guys in free agency every year or the league as a whole? The majority of the teams out there do not make big splashes. The Bengals over the past several seasons have simply said they don't buy into that philosophy. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "routine fumbling" but moreso of having a player development philosophy and sticking to it.

This season Marvin said they were going to handle things differently. Every single shred of evidence we have up to this point seems to indicate that he was telling the truth.

Maybe they'll get Fairley and maybe they won't. But they certainly seem to be putting forth the effort and their track record over the past several seasons is one of offering players fair and competitive contracts when they believe the fit is good.

I think the lazy imbecile implication has been made strongly and consistently by several members around here. If that's not what you intended to imply, then cool...I wasn't talking to you.

I think willy's point is that if there's a guy you want, quit dicking around and do the deal. Before 4 yesterday there were a hundred different deals already nailed down and this could have been one of them.

But once again the Bengals are behind the times. Usually the second tier of FA starts a week or so in. This year it started today. Now they're stuck in old school visits and bidding wars with teams fighting over the few remaining good players left. And they never win those because they refuse to do business like most of the rest of the league.

Or, maybe the Bengals tried and the agent said no under the assumption that there would be a bidding war.

Maybe the agent had already heard from all 6 teams over a week ago and knew it was going this way. Perhaps his client wanted to wait until free agency officially began and he was able to make official visits.

Who knows.

Maybe they'll get Fairley and maybe they won't. But, seeing as how they got the first visit, it seems as if they've put forth an appropriate amount of effort.

I'm not calling the lazy but considering the evidence (results) I think it's fair to allege imbecility. At least misguided arrogance. Just look at the Hall deal the they are anchored with. Indefensible.

Or perhaps they don't value the same thing(s) that you value.

Well obviously. That's kind of the whole idea behind differences of opinion. There is no right or wrong here. But there is clear need and some obvious easy they can address it and in my view the team is not making it known the "how" and "why" of their approach. Which is their choice. Of course.

Why do you seem so quick to defend the moves or lack of. Moves this team makes? You say tings that imply you are personally offended by fans views. I don't get it.

I'm not offended. Just annoyed when people seem to think they know what's happening behind closed doors.

Opnions are one thing. Uninformed opinions are something else entirely. Maybe I misread, but you seemed to be giving Katie Blackburn a hard time, because she waited too long on Fairley. That irritates me since you don't have the slightest idea what Katie has been doing over the past month. At all.

You are just automatically assuming the worst.

If that's not what you meant, then ignore me.

How did they "fumble" on Andrew Hawkins? The Bengals put a value on him and the Browns exceeded that.

No, they put the wrong RFA tender on him in the first place, a fact they have admitted. If you want I will go find the link.

Did they "fumble" on Carson Palmer? Or Geno Atkins? Or Michael Johnson? Or Anthony Collins? Vontaze Burfict? Clint Boling?

Good question. Let's see, Carson walked off with their money and screwed the team. Atkins signed and immediately got hurt, which by Hobsonian logic indicates we should never sign our own again. MJ left and our dline went to crap. Collins left and his replacement was so bad they had to drag the president of the player's union off the couch to fill in. Hopefully Boling works out better.

"A refusal to do business in a way that's competitive with the rest of the league."? What league are you talking about?

The one that gives signing bonuses and amortizes them over time. The one that routinely does simple restructurings. The one that cuts aging and/or injured vets with big cap numbers. You know, the NFL.

This season Marvin said they were going to handle things differently. Every single shred of evidence we have up to this point seems to indicate that he was telling the truth.

Does it? You just listed four of their own players above that they retained before or in free agency. So the Maualuga, Nugent and Boling signings aren't really anything new. AJ Hawk is exactly the kind of bargain pickup they are known for. They did seem to learn something from Hawkins and so put the second round tender on Lamur. But Marvin said this would be a an offseason in which the focus was on getting better. It was not a status quo conversation. It's only two days in so we're hardly done yet, but right now I don't see much to suggest that's the case.

How did they "fumble" on Andrew Hawkins? The Bengals put a value on him and the Browns exceeded that.

No, they put the wrong RFA tender on him in the first place, a fact they have admitted. If you want I will go find the link.

Good question. Let's see, Carson walked off with their money and screwed the team. Atkins signed and immediately got hurt, which by Hobsonian logic indicates we should never sign our own again. MJ left and our dline went to crap. Collins left and his replacement was so bad they had to drag the president of the player's union off the couch to fill in. Hopefully Boling works out better.

"A refusal to do business in a way that's competitive with the rest of the league."? What league are you talking about?

The one that gives signing bonuses and amortizes them over time. The one that routinely does simple restructurings. The one that cuts aging and/or injured vets with big cap numbers. You know, the NFL.

Does it? You just listed four of their own players above that they retained before or in free agency. So the Maualuga, Nugent and Boling signings aren't really anything new. AJ Hawk is exactly the kind of bargain pickup they are known for. They did seem to learn something from Hawkins and so put the second round tender on Lamur. But Marvin said this would be a an offseason in which the focus was on getting better. It was not a status quo conversation. It's only two days in so we're hardly done yet, but right now I don't see much to suggest that's the case.

Maybe you're right on Hawkins. Either way, I believe the Browns grossly overpaid for him. He would never have been missed around here had we not had all of the injuries to our receivers.

They got a kings ransom for Carson Palmer. Best move the Bengals have ever made as I'm pretty sure you've said multiple times. If you didn't say it, then you and our long-departed HairOnFire actually agreed on something.

Everyone praised the Geno Atkins move. Couldn't believe the Bengals ponied up cash for a top-tier DT. His injury has nothing to do with the decision they made at the time.

They let AC go because Tampa overpaid for him. The Bengals reportedly offered him a fair contract. How'd that one turn out for Tampa?

They let Michael Johnson go because they thought Carlos Dunlap was better and dumping top dollar into two DEs was a stretch as most all agreed with. Did they mess that one up? Our d-line went to crap, not because they let go of Michael Johnson, but because Atkins was no longer the force in the middle that they had hoped he would be. Speaking of which, it's something they are actively trying to correct. Good for them. We'll see if it works out.

I see a series of very sound moves.

I get that you don't like their fiscal approach, but I don't see it stopping them from signing anyone that they really want to sign. They routinely make fair offers and often times are successful. No, they aren't the team that's going to go out and make $70 million offers to guys like Revis. I don't see that as a failing.

If they constantly had big-name free agents coming through their doors without landing any of them, then I'd understand the complaints far more easily.

Kevin Goheen confirmed Fairley is still at PBS. Was touring the locker room while Hawk was giving an interview to the media.

Positive news he's still there

There's money available should the Bengals wish to access it.

If they want Fairley AND Johnson they can do the deals I'm sure ...... Hobson says they can sign one of them, so if the juggle/restructure/cut or whatever they can get both in my opinion. ANd boy would I love to see THAT d-line

Kevin Goheen confirmed Fairley is still at PBS. Was touring the locker room while Hawk was giving an interview to the media.

what's the latest ...is Fairley still in the building ??

Now Hobson is saying that talks with Fairley are on hold until they see if they can sign Michael Johnson?

Sounds...odd...

Not sure how a guy with 4 sacks last year, or who has only had more than 4 sacks twice in his entire career, "improves" them much, when they desperately need another stud DT, in other words am not sure you let him prevent you from improving your team with a rush signing?

Also, seeing the $6.8 mil cap hit for ReyM, and $1M for Winston, and $5.5m for Boling, makes me cringe. All 3 of those guys were expendable in my opinion, and don't "improve" your team at all from last year.

My guess is, after the cap gets Hobsonified, Fairley takes time to see what he can get elsewhere.

Now Hobson is saying that talks with Fairley are on hold until they see if they can sign Michael Johnson?

Sounds...odd...

Not sure how a guy with 4 sacks last year, or who has only had more than 4 sacks twice in his entire career, "improves" them much, when they desperately need another stud DT, in other words am not sure you let him prevent you from improving your team with a rush signing?

Also, seeing the $6.8 mil cap hit for ReyM, and $1M for Winston, and $5.5m for Boling, makes me cringe. All 3 of those guys were expendable in my opinion, and don't "improve" your team at all from last year.

My guess is, after the cap gets Hobsonified, Fairley takes time to see what he can get elsewhere.

Fairley isn't going to throw up 12-15 sacks, but he will play huge in he run game and is an upgrade over Still an Thompson for certain. He's not Suh but he is more ismilar to Atkins, IMHO.

At this point, makes no sense to complain about Rey, they wanted him so that's that. I think bringing Hawk in will push Rey adn that's a good thing. Probably the smrtest move ws giving Lamur a 2mr round tender, as i consider him a real sleeper. Once Burfict is back and there is even a modicum of a pass rush, Lamur will shine really bright.Get Dennard and Kirkpatrick rolling and maybe we'll see more coverage sacks, hopefully.

Boling is a core component on the line. He is an excellent run blocker and the fact that he'd been pursued should indicate how well regarded he was. I, for one, amd stoked he returns. He will improve in pass pro, so things look up there. Winston is another smart depth signing, hard to not like him. Gone are the days when it was Roland who was the key depth player. Again, hard to think this is a bad move.

Only thing making me truly cringe at this point is the lack of clarity on the Hall contract. They've paid him almost $30M and most of that has gone o him during his injury rehab (obviously not his fault but it's clear hes not the player he once was) I think they need to clarify their plans for him and his contract. Thye have Kirkpatrick and Dennard both seemingly ready to step up and continuing o fund Hall at such a high level burns money they'd b able to channel into improving the pass rush or even into a vet WR, or even more QB depth. Anything but paying elite money for an aging, rebuilt CB who has clearly lost a step or two. Put it thins way, would the Bengals, or any team, ofer Hall a similar deal if he were on the street today? Heck no. Hard to criticize Hall for playing out the string but the last i checked the Bengals can void any contract at any time, especially for the betterment of the team. This is the ugly business side of things that must happen, lest the Bengals woul prefer disadvantage themselves, while th rest of the league operates quite on the contrary.

Sounds...odd...

Fairley isn't going to throw up 12-15 sacks, but he will play huge in he run game and is an upgrade over Still an Thompson for certain. He's not Suh but he is more ismilar to Atkins, IMHO.

At this point, makes no sense to complain about Rey, they wanted him so that's that. I think bringing Hawk in will push Rey adn that's a good thing. Probably the smrtest move ws giving Lamur a 2mr round tender, as i consider him a real sleeper. Once Burfict is back and there is even a modicum of a pass rush, Lamur will shine really bright.Get Dennard and Kirkpatrick rolling and maybe we'll see more coverage sacks, hopefully.

Boling is a core component on the line. He is an excellent run blocker and the fact that he'd been pursued should indicate how well regarded he was. I, for one, amd stoked he returns. He will improve in pass pro, so things look up there. Winston is another smart depth signing, hard to not like him. Gone are the days when it was Roland who was the key depth player. Again, hard to think this is a bad move.

Only thing making me truly cringe at this point is the lack of clarity on the Hall contract. They've paid him almost $30M and most of that has gone o him during his injury rehab (obviously not his fault but it's clear hes not the player he once was) I think they need to clarify their plans for him and his contract. Thye have Kirkpatrick and Dennard both seemingly ready to step up and continuing o fund Hall at such a high level burns money they'd b able to channel into improving the pass rush or even into a vet WR, or even more QB depth. Anything but paying elite money for an aging, rebuilt CB who has clearly lost a step or two. Put it thins way, would the Bengals, or any team, ofer Hall a similar deal if he were on the street today? Heck no. Hard to criticize Hall for playing out the string but the last i checked the Bengals can void any contract at any time, especially for the betterment of the team. This is the ugly business side of things that must happen, lest the Bengals woul prefer disadvantage themselves, while th rest of the league operates quite on the contrary.

agree all with all of that King, I definitely saw Kirkpatrick (who had been hurt previously and never got a chance to really develop) and Dennard showing that they need to play. I have loved Hall, but he is not what he was and commands too much money at this point. I would be happy to sign Fairly and re-sign MJ and call it a day until the draft.