Lions DT Nick Fairley to Visit

HoosierCat

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another few considerations in the Fairley / Johnson / Hall situation.

1. Was Halls contract in the early years "team friendly"? I'm just wondering if there was a gentleman's agreement that Hall didn't earn his worth in the early years so that could be why he's not (as far as we are aware) being put under pressure to renegotiate his current years deal.

2. What f the medical team aren't so sure of Fairley's or Johnson's recovery from injury? Although the player and the agent may be wanting big bucks perhaps the Bengals doctors have flagged up some concerns for the players longevity.

3. What if the Bengals would like Fairly at a team friendly price, which he may or may not entertain, as the Bengals consider they can get a DT in the draft.

4. What if Fairley and/or Johnson want to test the market and see what other teams are offering. Using other teams as leverage to get the Bengals to stump up more coin?

I don't know the answer to any of the above, I'm just playing devils advocate and pondering what may be going on behind the scenes. I would have loved a Hall re-structure and a Fairley and MJ signing yesterday ....which was totally possible, plausible, feasible....but nada happened on either front. WHY????

The thing is we keep bringing up Hall, but I just don't see them doing anything with him. I would be very suprised to see anything happen to him, we know what should happen, but it won't.

Hence my asking the question - "why?"

Did he "take one for the team" in the first year or so of his contract ? - which could be why the organisation is honouring this years pay out ???

The thing with hall is he got paid for two seasons worth of elite CB money to heal. That is quite honorable by the Bengals.

I'm not saying it isn't, what I am questioning is WHY he's not being asked/forced to restructure

The thing with hall is he got paid for two seasons worth of elite CB money to heal. That is quite honorable by the Bengals.

I'm not saying it isn't, what I am questioning is WHY he's not being asked/forced to restructure

It would cost ownership money.

Every year, the NFL cuts each of the teams a check for their portion (1/32nd) of total shared revenues. Under the CBA, a little less than half of that must be given to the players. The rest belongs to the owners.

For the Bengals, whatever the players' amount is, is what will be spent on players that year. When it's gone, it's gone. (This is "pay as you go.")

When a deal gets redone to lower a cap hit, you are typically converting part of the deal to signing bonus that can then be amortized over several years. You are effectively drawing down some future players' money to pay a guy now. But you don't yet have a check for that money. So you have to draw on your (the owners') own resources to pay that bonus. You get paid back over time, but in the 2 or 3 or how many ever years that takes, that's "your" money that isn't in your account earning you a return.

Cool, cut Hall.

Do I think that's the best option ?? No.

However, would you rather have Hall or a combination of Fairley and MJ ??

I've always like Hall, but almost 10 million ??

Like Gresham; Buh Bye, but this would come with savings.

Seeing Browner sign in NO for half of what they pay Hall makes my head hurt. This front office just does not get the chess game they need to be playing. It'd not checkers, people. It's different, even though it's the same playing surface. Good lord.

This wait and see approach is bull crap!

It's frustrating as hell...but at the moment you have to admit they've called things with Fairley pretty well.

Sky's comparison of Fairley to Moobs is looking more and more dead on. Both guys were high picks with some success, but both had weight and motivation issues dog them into FA. And the market for Fairley seems as soft as the market was for Smith. He's getting some calls and some looks, but no one is offering a pot of gold. That isn't to say he will eventually find his way back to Cincy (though he could). Given how soft his market is shaping up, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back in Motown, despite the Lions saying they've moved on.

To add to the above,reports are that talks between the Skins and DT Terrance Knighton are going nowhere fast, either. No deal is expected today and there are supposedly some other teams interested in him. In short the whole DT market (minus Suh of course) seems soft.

Suh took all the sizzle away from the DT market. Which could mean Fairley could be had on a bargain in another few days.

Let it settle down and grab him that bit cheaper.

Still no plan for TE or for a vet FA QB. I kind of wanted a guy like Tyrod Taylor but saw he was snapped up. Oh well, maybe can flush more cash on Campbell or a the like.

Suh took all the sizzle away from the DT market. Which could mean Fairley could be had on a bargain in another few days.

Let it settle down and grab him that bit cheaper.

Aahhh - the old "let the market come to you" ploy

On the forum "Ramsondemand" St.Louis fans thinking Fairley has signed and its waiting to be announced

" Apparently, he spent the night here and the visit continues today.

Seems like a long time to just kick the tires."

" got an alert earlier this evening that Jim Thomas and Nick Wagoner were following Nick Fairley on Twitter. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but the only other time I am alerted to when that happens is after a player has signed. They don't usually follow everyone under the sun. To me that means something is up."

"Souce texts back Fairley #Rams deal "immenant "

— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) March 13, 2015"