2015 Draft Priorities

TJJackson

it's a slow day at work.

Slow week. It's going to get busy in a hurry soon, tho.

Re free agency, I agree that this is the year to bust the proverbial move. Go get a veteran pass-catcher, WR or TE I don't care, and a top vet DE. Maybe get both a TE and WR since at the latter you're looking for a reliable No. 2, not a No. 1. Keep Winston around (he'd be cheap) and you might even risk putting off OT to next year and taking an impact guy at 21 instead. Think DT or LB.

Won't happen but I can always dream...

*cough* larryfitzgerald *cough*

In his column Hobs specifically said no Larry because we have to pay Green. Insert sad trombone sound here.

cutting Hall is a nice downpayment on AJ's extension.

Fitzgerald, should the Cardinals part ways with him, is easily affordable in the 3-4M/yr range, the cap is going up to nearly 140M

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a slow day at work.

Slow week. It's going to get busy in a hurry soon, tho.

Re free agency, I agree that this is the year to bust the proverbial move. Go get a veteran pass-catcher, WR or TE I don't care, and a top vet DE. Maybe get both a TE and WR since at the latter you're looking for a reliable No. 2, not a No. 1. Keep Winston around (he'd be cheap) and you might even risk putting off OT to next year and taking an impact guy at 21 instead. Think DT or LB.

Won't happen but I can always dream...

*cough* larryfitzgerald *cough*

In his column Hobs specifically said no Larry because we have to pay Green. Insert sad trombone sound here.

cutting Hall is a nice downpayment on AJ's extension.

Fitzgerald, should the Cardinals part ways with him, is easily affordable in the 3-4M/yr range, the cap is going up to nearly 140M

They won't, and shouldn't, cut Hall.

They should re-negotiate his contract, however.

I dont think Fitzgerald even considers playing for the Bengals for any amount of money

The reason - Andy Dalton

Fitzgerald has had weak play from the quarterback position for most of his career. I doubt he wants to return to another team in a similar state. He's made money, so this time around I bet he wants to play for a perennial winner with a strong QB that needs an upgrade at WR

Thinking - New England

Cmon Army u know the $7 million they'd save cutting Hall needs to be hoarded to sign our 2015 rooks in 2019...

You mean Skyline ?? However, as much as I don't think Hall is earning his money and probably will continue to decline, i'd rather see them redo his contract to keep him around for depth. If he's unwilling to renegotiate his contract, then sure, say goodbye.

I've heard as much as a 3rd and 4th, but that might be overshooting it a bit.

I can't see anything less than a 3 and 4 given the size of the contracts Collins and Johnson got in Tampa

I can conceive of two 3s, actually

2 thirds ?? Now you're just toying with my emotions.

This team could do some real damage there.

I dont think Fitzgerald even considers playing for the Bengals for any amount of money

The reason - Andy Dalton

I can think of many reason Fitz wouldn't want to come here, but Dalton isn't one of them. Let's look at some numbers real quick:

Green

2014: 69/1,041/6

2013: 98/1,426/11

M. Jones

2014: n/a

2013: 51/712/10

People are complaining that the Bengals were too conservative in their playcalling in 2014, but it's tough to be aggressive when one of your two vertical threats is out all year and the team makes zero effort to replace him. Dalton obviously had no problem throwing lots of scores downfield when he had two threats in 2013 and I don't see why anyone would think a Green + Fitzgerald combo wouldn't be as effective (if not more so).

Interesting aside:look at the rest of the Bengals' top receivers for the last two seasons:

Sanu

2014: 56/790/5

2013: 47/455/2

Gresham

2014: 62/460/5

2013: 46/458/4

Bernard

2014: 43/349/2

2013: 56/512/3

Eifert

2014: 3/37/0

2013: 39/445/2

Hill

2014: 27/215/0

2013: n/a

Tate

2014: 17/193/1

2013: 1/6/0

Hawkins

2014: 63/824/2 (for Cleveland, not counted in 2014 total below)

2013: 12/199/0

TOTALS

2014: 2,044/13

2013: 2,075/11

Their production from 2013 to 2014 was virtually identical. The big drop in passing TDs in 2014 is almost completely due to the loss of Marvin Jones, with an assist from the three games that Green missed. The more I look at things, the more convinced I am that for the offense, a proven veteran who is a vertical threat or a top draft WR prospect is an absolute must this offseason. They simply cannot risk not being able to take the top off the defense again in 2015.

Well, as Hair always said, we are the bastard sons of Paul Brown.

Wide receiver.

Wide receiver.

Wide Receiver.

Devin Funchess - is he likely to fall to the 21st pick and would he be a viable or serious option for Cincy either as a wideout or a TE??

Unless there is another AJ Green sitting there at their spot I say go defense. Lots of holes need to be addressed. They dropped out of the top ten this year for a reason. Follow the model of thevRavens and Steelers and go after those "system" guys to upgrade and fill the pipeline for the defensive roster.

Getting Jones and Eifert back and losing Gresham will help the offense right away.

Getting Jones and Eifert back and losing Gresham will help the offense right away.

That's for sure - but what if the injury curse hits again? We're pretty thin on the ground at these spots too so we need to address them at some stage.

Just thinking out loud but would an upgrade of the Offence (Line, TE, WRs) automatically improve the Defence ?? Given that pass rush and LB's still need to be added/upgraded.

I'm really not sure how the Bengals will go in the draft whether it will be D or O in the early rounds ...... suppose with so many needs the Best Player Available scheme is the only way to go

Whistling might loudly past that graveyard. Gresham may not be all that but he's the best TE on the roster. And we have no idea when and how much either of the other two return.

Whistling might loudly past that graveyard. Gresham may not be all that but he's the best TE on the roster. And we have no idea when and how much either of the other two return.

That might be true but he's got nothing on Eifert in regards to upside.

I know I said...

Wide receiver.

Wide receiver.

Wide Receiver.

...but I was looking at drafthistory.com over the weekend and it struck me that, wow, the Bengals absolutely suck at drafting wideouts.

In the Lewis era, there's been exactly one (1) WR success story, and that's AJ Green.

Otherwise, they've wasted third-round picks on Kelly Washington, Chris Henry and Jordan Shipley, a second-rounder on Bongmaster J and a fourth on Bubba Caldwell. None of these guys were worth a second contract, and a couple of them probably weren't worth their first.

Sanu could end up in that group, we'll see. Jury is still out on Jones. If he pans out he would be the first late-round wide receiver drafted who amounted to anything since Housh in '01.

OT looking better all the time...

I know I said...

Wide receiver.

Wide receiver.

Wide Receiver.

...but I was looking at drafthistory.com over the weekend and it struck me that, wow, the Bengals absolutely suck at drafting wideouts.

In the Lewis era, there's been exactly one (1) WR success story, and that's AJ Green.

Otherwise, they've wasted third-round picks on Kelly Washington, Chris Henry and Jordan Shipley, a second-rounder on Bongmaster J and a fourth on Bubba Caldwell. None of these guys were worth a second contract, and a couple of them probably weren't worth their first.

Sanu could end up in that group, we'll see. Jury is still out on Jones. If he pans out he would be the first late-round wide receiver drafted who amounted to anything since Housh in '01.

OT looking better all the time...

Sanu is a slot receiver. When he's in the slot he's a different player.

Upside is great but offers no guarantees. I hope Eifert comes on but right now he can't even get on the field.

Really I would prefer they look at WR and TE in FA but have little hope they will.

I think they need one early in the draft AND in FA. Time to move on from the lifetime backups they've been tethered to in the past 4 years. The Whalens, Sanzenbackups, the Tates, etc.

They are truly committed to Dalton, so much they got his backfield squared away for the next 5 or so years. No it's time to fix the WR group.

Draft: guys who create legit NFL mis-matches

Sammie Coates

Devin Funchess

FA: The issue I see is they need to lock Green up to a long term deal, and that might offset them against signing an outsider.

Players who have very real production and would help create a 1a/1b combo with AJ, with Jones as a "#2/3" to permit him time to get back from injury.

1. Randall Cobb - would be ideal, though it's unlikely he hits the market

2. Jeremy Maclin - would also be a great fit, but he too probably won't hit the market

3. Denarius Moore - could be interesting, has had flashes but there is no one throwing him the ball over the last couple years in Oakland.

Others: Torrey Smith? interesting option there.

I think the complexion of the draft last year, as Hue's fingerprints on it. And, if he stays, he could impact their decisions to go after the "right" kind of WR.

• 2 weeks later...

Good read today from Hobs re drafting a WR.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/On-the-fence/048ae1c9-967a-4ac1-8380-5d66bdfa865d

Good news is that they appear to be admitting (at least to themselves) that Marvin Jones' return is a question mark:

No one is saying it, but there is a bit of uneasiness as they wait for Jones to return. His foot has now been cut into twice after he had ankle surgery and a broken bone in his foot and, simply put, no one knows if that is going to impact his game-breaking speed until they see him in the spring.

But...

But the first returns are encouraging and the Bengals don’t appear to be looking to take a wide receiver in the first round or even the second round. But after that would seem to be an opportune time.

The problem, of course,is that they need a guy with speed and...

CBS Sports draft guru Rob Rang says there isn’t a lot of speed in this year’s class and the Senior Bowl is a reflection.

Potential guys mentioned are Ohio State's Devin Smith (Rang doesn't think he'll get out of the second, tho he gives him a third round grade), Washington State WR Vince Mayle (questionable speed) and Duke's Jamison Crowder (fast but roughly the size of a GI Joe action figure).

Story closes with a note from rehab guy Nick Cosgray saying Jones is coming along well, so there's that. Still, I say wither bring in a vet in FA or splurge on DE or OT in FA so you can take a WR in the first two rounds. But they rarely listen to me...