2015 Draft Priorities

TJJackson

So I took a spin around the mockosphere today now that the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl are done. First think that popped out was that the idea of the Bengals taking a DB is bizarrely finding traction. Names mentioned include:

Yuri Wright, CB, Colorado

Ronald Darby, CB, Florida

Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State

Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford

I have no idea where this is coming from but apparently our pass defense sucks and we have a big need there. Needless to say, these people are crazy. At the same time that DB has gone up, OT has gone down. Over more than a dozen mocks I saw just one, TJ Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh. Then there's the guy who thinks Bodine sucked so bad we'll take Cameron Erving, C, Florida State, in the first. I'm thinking not.

A couple linebackers came up, Vic Beasley, LB, Clemson and Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington. I don't think Beasley will be there at 21 and Shaq's an interesting possibility. But I agree with Hobs they've been shying away from first round backers. That leaves the d-line, the only place that names came up more than once in my survey:

Alvin “Bud” Dupree, DE, Kentucky x4

Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State x2

Dante Fowler Jr., DE, Florida

Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma

So Dupree seems to be the leading choice out there right now. I have a feeling I'd like him a lot better as a second round pick (and no, he won't make it there). I think he could make an instant impact as a situational rusher, but he's not an every-down guy at this point.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read today from Hobs re drafting a WR.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/On-the-fence/048ae1c9-967a-4ac1-8380-5d66bdfa865d

Good news is that they appear to be admitting (at least to themselves) that Marvin Jones' return is a question mark:

No one is saying it, but there is a bit of uneasiness as they wait for Jones to return. His foot has now been cut into twice after he had ankle surgery and a broken bone in his foot and, simply put, no one knows if that is going to impact his game-breaking speed until they see him in the spring.

But...

But the first returns are encouraging and the Bengals don’t appear to be looking to take a wide receiver in the first round or even the second round. But after that would seem to be an opportune time.

The problem, of course,is that they need a guy with speed and...

CBS Sports draft guru Rob Rang says there isn’t a lot of speed in this year’s class and the Senior Bowl is a reflection.

Potential guys mentioned are Ohio State's Devin Smith (Rang doesn't think he'll get out of the second, tho he gives him a third round grade), Washington State WR Vince Mayle (questionable speed) and Duke's Jamison Crowder (fast but roughly the size of a GI Joe action figure).

Story closes with a note from rehab guy Nick Cosgray saying Jones is coming along well, so there's that. Still, I say wither bring in a vet in FA or splurge on DE or OT in FA so you can take a WR in the first two rounds. But they rarely listen to me...

Would like see to Jones unaffected, but, if push came to shove, would be willing to give him up for a 100% healthy Burfict. Harder to replace him as opposed to Jones.

• 2 weeks later...

How signing Outhouse could have fkd the Bengals out of a comp pick for Collins.

/>http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/02/07/cincinnati-bengals-football/22950443/

I'm going to be pissed if signing that bum costs us a fourth.

Pissed is an understatement brother !!!

Cost us a 4th round comp pick ?? Newhouse ??

Get the f*ck outta here !!!

If that happens and he wasn't a free agent, I would cut him just for that.

How signing Outhouse could have fkd the Bengals out of a comp pick for Collins.

http://www.cincinnat...tball/22950443/

I'm going to be pissed if signing that bum costs us a fourth.

Pissed is an understatement brother !!!

Cost us a 4th round comp pick ?? Newhouse ??

Get the f*ck outta here !!!

If that happens and he wasn't a free agent, I would cut him just for that.

There should be an out that says if your team had to go out and get an unemployed union rep to replace you then the team does not have to give up a comp pick for your sorry ass.

• 2 weeks later...