Improved Players?

gregcook68

Two part question:

1. Without researching stats, which players, other than Huber and Pacman, do you feel had a better 2014 than a 2013?

2. With 3 major players out for the season this year, and assuming, you see things as I do, that there aren't a whole lot of players that had a better year this year, if they were to get a win on Sunday, which would be a milestone and, in my opinion, make this year a better overall year than last year, what would you attribute it to?

1. None really. I don't know that I would say even Huber or Jones. I don't think that anyone stepped up noticeably. Maybe Dunlap. At least he seemed least effected by MJ being gone and Geno not being 100%. And Whit did have a better year than his last 2-3.

OTOH I thought Moobs backslid noticeably this year before getting hurt. FNR and LNR too. Gio had a down year but I think he was misused badly. Sanu has been night and day. First half of the season he was on fire, now he's an iceberg.

2. If they win my bet is that it will be due to them actually following through on the commitment to the run. They actually did it this year, let's see if they keep it up.

1. None really. I don't know that I would say even Huber or Jones. I don't think that anyone stepped up noticeably. Maybe Dunlap. At least he seemed least effected by MJ being gone and Geno not being 100%. And Whit did have a better year than his last 2-3.

OTOH I thought Moobs backslid noticeably this year before getting hurt. FNR and LNR too. Gio had a down year but I think he was misused badly. Sanu has been night and day. First half of the season he was on fire, now he's an iceberg.

2. If they win my bet is that it will be due to them actually following through on the commitment to the run. They actually did it this year, let's see if they keep it up.

I keep wondering about Sanu is it because the gameplan is not about him, he dosnt get open, Dalton does not see him, they are miss using him. I would think he should be the slot guy on 3rd downs like they used him before. Very confused on why he has dissapered!

I was hoping the depth would be better on this team, was really hoping Hunt would step up when he played but have yet to see it. FNR has his moments, but there are times like against Pitt where he just gets lost, LNR has been much better as of late. Gio really has been misused very badly, Hue started out the year using him great, but I don't know what happened.

I really wanted to see Dalton improve, and I thought he started out great this year was so excited, but as the season moved on I feel like he has gotten worse. There are times when he shines, then makes stupid mistakes. His passes of late have been sailing on him, wouldn't be a huge deal but they seem to be getting picked off. I want him to succeed so bad, and there are times when I think he can, hopefully he shows something in the playoffs.

Cris Collinsworth (can't stand him) said last night that some were saying because of the running game this year Dalton dosnt like it because he can't get into a rthem, anybody believe this? Did somebody really say this, I can't believe it?

I'd lump Dalton in with everyone else. I do think this was a better year in that we saw more consistency from him, but it was as Average Andy. Good and Bad Andy each only really showed up once. Mostly he was Meh Andy.

It might have helped if both the WR and TE positions hadn't been injury disasters. I think that had more impact than a focus on the running game.

I'd lump Dalton in with everyone else. I do think this was a better year in that we saw more consistency from him, but it was as Average Andy. Good and Bad Andy each only really showed up once. Mostly he was Meh Andy.

It might have helped if both the WR and TE positions hadn't been injury disasters. I think that had more impact than a focus on the running game.

That is true I would like to see him with a full team out there, the injuries really screwed that up.

During camp him and Eifert were tearing it up over the middle like so many other teams have had success with and Jones would helped AJ.

Gresham just isn't athletic enough to pull that off.

Maybe I'm the only one that believes this, but when Burfict is 'right', his presence brings so much more to that defense way beyond his physical football talent.

He knows the defense better than anyone and runs and inspires it greatly.

He was never 'right' after that hit on Flacco and I hope he can come back to form next year.

That Iloka's name isn't at the top of the list just goes to show how little people notice his play.

He's had an absolute stellar season and if I might be a little overzealous in using "stellar", i'm not far off.

This coming from a 5th round safety that many didn't really give much thought to, including myself.

He's really come on and stabilized that safety position.

I agree about Iloka - he has had a great season. Really starting to make a name for himself. Also think FNR has stepped it up with his best season yet at a critical time for the Bengals LB corp (due to injuries). On offense, Hue has done a great job getting the most out of most of the guys he has, notwithstanding the tendency to run plays to Green at the expense of all others when he's out there. Even Gresham has had a decent season. For me one of the biggest difference-makers is in one of the least flashy positions - Hewett. Love what this guy has brought and really think he has made a huge impact.

No, there have not been huge superstars with gaudy stats this year. If they are able to take the next step and finally win a playoff game this year it won't be because of that - the biggest difference with this team has been the ability to bounce back in the face of adversity. This team is WAY better at that than any Bengals team of the recent past, or possibly any Bengals team ever. I think that has been the difference.

That, and a good FB! :bengal:/>

Good point Walrus. This team has gotten down, but has done well in coming back out and making good on the "next chance".

How many fans probably thought they were going to fold against the Broncos after the pick 6 ??

Instead they came out, got back into the game, and then took the lead.

I know this is an overused cliche, but this year, this team, even with the injuries could play WITH ANYONE, IF they hold on to the football!!!

I know there will always be injuries, but very seldom do 3 major starters go out for the season like this year, at the beginning of the season!

Hoping next year will bring better blessings in the area of season ending injuries.

Iloka played very well, but you could see that coming on last year. I'm just not seeing anyone who IMO took their game to the next level. I do see several guys who I hoped would but didn't:

Margus Hunt. Easily the biggest disappointment.

Devon Still. I know he's had a lot to deal with but he doesn't bring anything to the conversation.

I'd put some others already mentioned like Moobs and Dalton here too.

Most of these guys didn't play poorly, they just sort of hovered in terms of quality of play.

I think you can even put AJ in this group too. This was probably his worst year, though injuries and not having Marvin Jones contributed to that.

All that said, they still won 10.5 games and made the playoffs. So they gotta be doing something right.

Two part question:

1. Without researching stats, which players, other than Huber and Pacman, do you feel had a better 2014 than a 2013?

2. With 3 major players out for the season this year, and assuming, you see things as I do, that there aren't a whole lot of players that had a better year this year, if they were to get a win on Sunday, which would be a milestone and, in my opinion, make this year a better overall year than last year, what would you attribute it to?

I think there ws progress from Dre this season, he is still a work in progress but I thought he was better this year than last. I think we definately saw improvement this year from Sanu, there was time earlier this season where he was the offensive MVP. Brandon Thompson seemed improved but that might have been him getting healthier.

Coaching. I thought the coaches as a whole did a great job under difficult circumstances. Hue was excellent most of the season (excepting the Indy and New England games) and Marvin had his best year yet IMHO.

Also, while we can't sensibly call it an "improvement", I want to commend Russell Bodine for a solid rookie season. He was worry #1 for many people in Bengaldom perhaps including me, and while he hasn't been perfect he was absolutely steady. Credit to the oft-maligned Paul Alexander.

The rookie class in general did some good things this year. If I were to rank them...

1.) Jeremy Hill -- duh. Over the second half of the season he might have been the most productive running back in the NFL.

2.) Russell Bodine -- contributor to a good running game, contrary to expectation, and didn't make himself noticed for the wrong reasons very often in pass protection. Bad snaps a non-issue. The offensive line in general had a fine season and he was making their calls.

3.) Darqueze Dennard -- quiet in limited opportunities defensively, but did some nice things in special teams coverage.

4.) Will Clarke -- also limited opportunities, but he seemed to find his way into the play relatively often considering that.

5.) James Wright -- he made the play that should have beaten Carolina.

Yes, have to love what we saw from the rookies this season and gives much hope moving forward.

It's not hard to see this team being a player in the post season for many seasons.

Flowers got playing time this year at LB as well, so at least they have an idea of what they have in him.

While I don't view McCarron as a starter any time soon (barring injury) I think he will be a solid backup.

I just wish the team would put aside some loyalty to the vets that are clearly not what they use to be and get the younger guys involved more.

Kirkpatrick has definitely come on in the last couple of games. With Newman and Hall a combined eight billion years old that's good to see.

Re the rookies, Hill is easily the breakout guy. If I am Jeremy this offseason I run, do not walk, to Tiki Barber's front door and ask him to coach me up on ball security. If he can improve there, the sky's the limit.

Bodine still has some brain cramps but overall held up well for a rookie.

Wright is the sleeper. If he hadn't gotten hurt I think we would be missing Marvin Jones a lot less.