Bengals @ Cardinals Game Thread

gregcook68

Sanu and Gresham stepped up tonight. As for backups, maybe Hamilton makes the team. Campbell looked the part at Qb. Hill had flashes against the Cards backups. Was much happier with Clark than before. Hunt had good moments. RJ Stanford probably isn't the best backup corner. Exposed.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought that was a really strong offensive showing from the starters. Arizona D is no joke - and were #1 against the run last year. The starting field position was awful for 5 out of the 6 drives, and Dalton responded by taking care of the ball, no crippling turnover, and took them on two long drives for points. Very impressive. It looked like an AFC north style game - and on the road - the kind of game that usually rattles this team.

Also, loved Hue sticking with the run in the 2nd quarter after the running debacle in the 1st quarter. And started to see dividends. I sure don't miss the guy who is coaching in DC. At. all.

Hues play calling is a million times better than Jay Tecmo IT! Gruden.

Agreed. The playcalling seemed to flow better. Even when the offense was struggling, it didn't have that flailing feeling of the last few years. You could see what they were trying to establish. One thing I really liked was the way the passing game attacked the middle of the field. We haven't seen a lot of that lately. It's either been go long or quick, short throws outside the hashmarks. Last night we saw Sanu running some very Houshmanzadeh-esque deep crosses, Green on at least one shallow crossing route and of course that gorgeous seam pass to Jermaine. The one time the did throw a quick sideline pass was backed up in their own territory and it got good yardage. Funny how that works when you aren't throwing it every damn play.

Thought that was a really strong offensive showing from the starters. Arizona D is no joke - and were #1 against the run last year. The starting field position was awful for 5 out of the 6 drives, and Dalton responded by taking care of the ball, no crippling turnover, and took them on two long drives for points. Very impressive. It looked like an AFC north style game - and on the road - the kind of game that usually rattles this team.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "strong," but you are right, all things considered it was a very solid showing. The endless bad field position gave them multiple opportunities to kill themselves with a turnover -- and they declined time and again. And I think the commitment to the run, even though it wasn't working well early on, was a big part of that. Hue isn't just dumping the game on Andy's shoulders after a few runs get stuffed. He is making it clear he expects his run game to contribute as well.

Thought the 1st team D got lucky early.

Very, very lucky. If Palmer had been a touch more accurate, or Newman not gotten away with a little bump on (IIRC) Floyd, the Cards would have scored. The lack of pressure was disappointing; Carson's a statue and they mostly couldn't get near him. It was good to see Geno out there, but as I suspected he is half a season away (Hall looks a step slow too, no surprise). Newman had a mostly good night but his lack of speed is showing. OTOH I thought Nelson looked good, First Name Rey came to play, Lamur looks ready. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, one more thing that hasn't been mentioned: yes, it's just preseason, but this was also a Sunday night game. You know, one of those "bright lights" prime-time affairs in which the Bengals offense notoriously melts down. Didn't happen last night. That's a good omen.

They looked alot like they usually look. Untimely penalties, bend but don't break defense, some good plays from Dalton and some terrible ones when he is under pressure.

They should handle the teams they should beat and will struggle against the good teams, Broncos, Patriots, Ravens, Saints, etc.

This is an 8-8, 9-7 team. They should be in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season but they certainly haven't turned any corners into being in the "elite" team level. Not yet, at least.

Oh, one more thing that hasn't been mentioned: yes, it's just preseason, but this was also a Sunday night game. You know, one of those "bright lights" prime-time affairs in which the Bengals offense notoriously melts down. Didn't happen last night. That's a good omen.

Bengals win a bright lights game that nobody actually cares who wins? yippee.

wake me when it's Oct 5.

Well, feel free to be as excited (or not) as you want, but let's not pretend that had Dalton produced, say, Carson's stat line (7/19 for 92 yards and a pick, QB rating of 31.0) that the story on every Bengals blog, forum and radio talk show wouldn't be "Dalton shits the bed in prime time again!"

Watching Carson blow it was music to my eyeballs.

It's amazing to me to see how little he's changed from 2010. Same Old Palmer: great throw, great throw, great throw, WTF was that???? And "that" of course was Fitzgerald channeling Chad in a miscommunication that went for six the other way.

He should have just stayed retired.

Well, feel free to be as excited (or not) as you want, but let's not pretend that had Dalton produced, say, Carson's stat line (7/19 for 92 yards and a pick, QB rating of 31.0) that the story on every Bengals blog, forum and radio talk show wouldn't be "Dalton shits the bed in prime time again!"

OTOH, I'm not quite popping the bubbly because Dalton "Did not shit the bed in prime time".

OTOH, I'm not quite popping the bubbly because Dalton "Did not shit the bed in prime time".

Not asking you to. Like I said, just a good omen. Cross your fingers that he plays well when it counts.

True. I do think he looks ready to take the step.

Dalton amazed me mainly in his composure in the face of just utter stupidity from Michele Tafoya. It went something like, "Andy, you're good and all, but how do you live with yourself in light of the fact you've never won a playoff game?"

He was like, /Very slight, barely perceptible grimace/ "Get to playoffs, more corporate robot speak, etc."

It truly was a moronic question. All the stuff she could have asked - new OC, Jones out, wife launched offspring number 1, Hill is a sledgehammer, Andre may get you killed if he ever crawls out from the Sizzler buffet, Mike Brown in the hospital, brutal schedule this year can you handle it, my room number is 32 at the Holiday Inn Express will you be by later to fuck me, Eifert is about the size of a building think you can get the ball anywhere near him, new center sucks as bad as old center, Mohamed Sanu beast-like, laughing at Palmer like the rest of us, etc. etc. - but instead it was a question for which there is actually no answer. How do you win a playoff game? You just do, Michele.

It was illustrative of the ESPNing and the dumbing down of basic sports "journalism". Eat shit world of stupid dumbasses who can't ask anything but the most banal, most group-think questions. Like you're being somehow "controversial", like you're a real journalist because you're asking the "hard question." Bullshit. It wasn't even a question.

That question is, in relation to all the questions she could have asked, what Kim Kardashian is in relation to all the brilliant female writers today, the great musicians, the great actresses. It was a steaming pile of crass obviousness, it was a clumsy grope for relevancy, it was a redundant misinterpretation of what "information" actually is.

Go jump in a river Michele Tafoya. I'll miss the "insight" into the NFL you've provided through the years about as much as I miss the "L" in your first name, which is to say, not one bit.

Did you catch the segment on the sideline with Peterson?

Reporter: so Patrick say something inflammatory about Richard Sherman.

Peterson: he's a good corner.

Reporter: no, really, we know you can't stand him, call him a dick on national TV!

Peterson: I'm just blessed to be here.

Reporter: oh come on, Sherman is a giant douchenozzle, right?

Peterson: the dome looks really nice, don't you think?

Reporter: say Sherman is an asshole! Damn you Peterson SAY IT!!!!

Peterson: excuse me, I'm gonna get some Gatorade now, bye.