3rd Round: Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia

STRENGTHS: Possesses a rangy, athletic build with a broad wingspan. Good initial explosion off the snap. Can cross the face of left tackles, forcing them wide and creating gaps for stunting or blitzing teammates, as well as zip inside for an impressive counter-move. Shows some core flexibility to dip under the reach of pass-blockers and flashes good hand use to rip free from their grasp. Attentive, especially in the passing game. Has learned to use his length and overall athleticism to distract quarterbacks, waving his arms and timing his leap in an attempt to tip passes at the line of scrimmage... jumped from zero to three to seven PBUs over his three seasons as a starter... Good strength to hold up surprisingly well in the running game. Anchors well, locking out would-be blockers and keeping his knees bent and butt down to create a pile. Hard worker.

WEAKNESSES: Too stiff to change directions fluidly so that while he is capable of rushing upfield, Clarke struggles to turn the corner and truly wreak havoc off the edge. Possesses a very rangy build and may struggle to gain weight. Reacts surprisingly well to cut-blocks, showing good recognition but his long legs leave him prone to these against quicker, more technically refined athletes he'll face in the NFL.

COMPARES TO: Chandler Jones, New England Patriots - Jones has quickly developed into one of the league's better young pass rushers as his 11.5 sacks in 2013 can attest. Think of Clarke as a poor man's version, whose sack total will probably hover close to half of Jones' in a given year once he acclimates to the NFL. Scouts will love Clarke's length and dedication, however, two traits which have helped Jones become successful so quickly.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Notre Dame's Zach Martin was the most consistent offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl but the one defender who consistently gave him trouble was Clarke, who was able to get into the veteran left tackle's chest due to the reach advantage provided by his 33 3/8" arms.

Clarke isn't just long, he's strong. He's the only player in WVU history to have earned recognition as an Iron Mountaineer three times over his career. This type of commitment can be seen in the steady improvements he made on the field, as well, as the three year starter saw his production rise each season, culminating with an impressive senior campaign in which Clarke ranked second in the Big 12 in tackles for losses with 17, including six sacks. In 41 career games, Clarke produced 111 tackles, 29 tackles for losses and 9 1/2 sacks.

Due to his length, strength and work ethic proponents of the 3-4 and 4-3, alike find Clarke highly intriguing. In either case, his trim waistline makes him best suited to remaining outside at defensive end.

Played defensive line and tight end as a Pennsylvania prep. Redshirted in 2009. Saw his first West Virginia action in 2010, playing in four early games and collecting two tackles, one-half tackle for loss and zero sacks. Suffered a high ankle sprain against Marshall and missed the remainder of the year. Moved into a starting role in 2011 and recorded 34 tackles, five tackles for loss and two sacks with one pass batted away in 13 games (11 starts). Was the listed starter at defensive end in seven games and at defensive tackle in four contests. Registered a sack in the Orange Bowl against Clemson. Was a starting defensive end in 2012 and had 26 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and one sack with three passes batted in 12 games (11 starts). Missed one game with a right MCL sprain. Started all 12 games for the Mountaineers at defensive tackle in 2013 and recorded 49 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and six sacks with three passes batted and one forced fumble.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Has a long, athletic, muscular frame. Very good movement skills for his size. Flashes the ability to penetrate or stack and shed. Gives effort in pursuit and ranges to make tackles. Solid personal and football character -- has leadership traits. Smart and coachable. Durable three-year starter.

WEAKNESSES Does not play to his size -- plays too tall and does not generate power through his core. Shrivels against double teams and is too easily uprooted. Needs to play with better pop and power in his hands. Linear, vanilla rusher -- does not have a variety of moves to defeat and accelerate off blocks.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE Looks the part with desirable length and musculature to warrant consideration as a developmental five-technique in a one-gapping 3-4 scheme or base end in a 4-3 front, though he will have to make significant strides with his technique and improve his run defense to be more than just a guy.

-Nolan Nawrocki

He's not a replacement for MJ. He's a replacement for Hunt. Depth pick.

If the Bengals are staying true to their board, he was the best guy available.

Not in love with it, but who knows. Who was screaming "Pro Bowler!" when Atkins was taken in the 4th round in 2010?

yep, projected as 5-6, taken in r3.... big reach right there.

He's an average guy, who addresses a need and typifies their desired size/proportions.

Would rather have a guy who's slid, and will have a chip, even if not prototypical size/shape for the position.

This has waste/bust all over it, especially with guys like Jeffcoat, Yankey, Richardson sitting there...

He's an average guy, who addresses a need and typifies their desired size/proportions.

Would rather have a guy who's slid, and will have a chip, even if not prototypical size/shape for the position.

This has waste/bust all over it, especially with guys like Jeffcoat, Yankey, Richardson sitting there...

Ill trust them evem if not fan...hopefully paul can learn to develop guysthis year

Shrug. Mayock had him in the third. It's all speculation at this point.

Yeah, I don't get the sense that there was a firm consensus on this guy from the "experts". That said, they do all agree that he's strong, hard-working, coachable, a good leader and good character. That, for the Bengals, seems to have translated into enough potential to burn a 3rd roundd pick.

To me, he's meh on tape - but hard work can take you far. We'll see what it gets him.

wrong. He was projected as a 3-4 round pick by most. and you are already calling him a bust. genius!

I'm betting they see upside in him. Similar style pick to Hunt last year.

Sucks if you were hoping that they'd draft a starter ready OG or quality OT depth to replace Collins...like I was.

they have 6 more picks. but you just had to start whining after 3.

I'm betting they see upside in him. Similar style pick to Hunt last year.

Sucks if you were hoping that they'd draft a starter ready OG or quality OT depth to replace Collins...like I was.

they have 6 more picks. but you just had to start whining after 3.

Hi, sunshine.

I wanted an interior lineman at this point but I had Clarke in the 110 range so it really wasn't a reach. I guess for me it comes down to this, if the Bengals can get a good center (one left IMHO) and another good lineman I will be fine with this draft.

I wanted an interior lineman at this point but I had Clarke in the 110 range so it really wasn't a reach. I guess for me it comes down to this, if the Bengals can get a good center (one left IMHO) and another good lineman I will be fine with this draft.

Honestly, I think the Bengals are fine with Pollack at center. They may be more likely to draft a guard/tackle...someone with versatility.

The wildcard is Moch. He could put it together and then they'd have a different kind of weapon, based on speed, not reach.

Dunlap and Hunt, Gilberry and Moch. I bet Geathers ends up cut, gotta keep Clarke. Won't keep 6 DEs.

Clarke will stick based on his selection spot but I don't expect too much for a year or two.