Lewis Contract Extension Coming

HoosierCat

But, but, wait, isn't he suppose to be our new GM ??

I mean I thought that was one of those "in stone" kind of things.

Everyone talks about it, so I just figured that was that. <_<

Seriously though, I can't say as I care one way or another.

I can't recall another coach, in the history of coaching, being so mediocre for the duration that he has and kept his job.

Very very meh.

Also, no QB or WR at #24 ??

Can't say as that should be a surprise to anyone.

Trying to tie up a bit of continuity at the top of the coaching hierachy now that Zimmer and Gruden have gone????

Context. Please evaluate Marvin's tenure thus far based on all factors. His record sucks? Please look at the years prior to his tenure. How's his record look in comparison to, say, Shula and that old guy in Pittsburgh?

Please take into account that he isn't given the resources the coach of New England or Dallas is given. Heck, he has to coach the senior bowl and is heavily involved in scouting. And his competence and success in evaluating talent and drafting is pretty great.

Also, please be aware that you aren't extending Marvin Lewis circa 2006. The Marvin Lewis you are extending has had 3 consecutive playoff seasons, just won the division, and his players respect him and want to play for him and the Bengals.

Let's face it, the whole organization was a dumpster fire when Marvin got here. He knows how to hire the right people, and the culture has done a 180.

True that Marvin Playoff = Epic Faceplant, but that can and will be fixed, hopefully by a 6'5" rifle armed quarterback. (those last few words were for you, Hoosier).

Well, we had the 6-5 rifle-armed QB and didn't win with him either. At least Red is getting us to the postseason on a regular basis, so I'll take it.

As for Lewis, I agree that mediocre is an accomplishment in Cincy. Especially when you've got an organization that was, up to the last three years, willing to sign everyone short of serial killers in their quest for cheap talent.

I'm not a Marvin hater, but I have less of a problem with the idea that it's time to move on with each passing year.

Context. Please evaluate Marvin's tenure thus far based on all factors. His record sucks? Please look at the years prior to his tenure. How's his record look in comparison to, say, Shula and that old guy in Pittsburgh?

Please take into account that he isn't given the resources the coach of New England or Dallas is given. Heck, he has to coach the senior bowl and is heavily involved in scouting. And his competence and success in evaluating talent and drafting is pretty great.

Also, please be aware that you aren't extending Marvin Lewis circa 2006. The Marvin Lewis you are extending has had 3 consecutive playoff seasons, just won the division, and his players respect him and want to play for him and the Bengals.

Let's face it, the whole organization was a dumpster fire when Marvin got here. He knows how to hire the right people, and the culture has done a 180.

True that Marvin Playoff = Epic Faceplant, but that can and will be fixed, hopefully by a 6'5" rifle armed quarterback. (those last few words were for you, Hoosier).

Sure Marvin has done better than those that came before him, but should that be the benchmark of expectations ??

I know that's not what you are trying to argue, but I just don't care in this context.

I'm appreciative of Marvin's efforts here and love that we now have a team in contention each year, but at some point there must be more.

It can't all be on the shoulders of Dalton. At some point the coaching staff has to be held responsible as well.

The part of this that has me thinking that it's very meh, is that there isn't anyone else I can think of to replace him.

They just let Zimmer go, but as I've mentioned numerous times, that wasn't going to happen the way fans always thought it would with Marvin as GM.

So I will be happy for the continuity and wish him and the team great success obviously.

However, I still ask what other coach has been given the opportunity he has without any results ??

How many years ?? How many playoffs win ?? If the benchmark is a championship, he's failed miserably in his tenure.

I know that others coaches have as well, but how many of them have been given the same amount of time ??

We can dream of that QB for the time being homie, until Marvin talks MB into extending Dalton's contract!!!

That will seal the deal for no SB for several years ahead!!!!

Marvins gotta be tied up ... to lose Gruden and Zimmer one off season and then Marvin walks the next would potentially nosedive the team.

I'm not a Marvin hater but I dispair at the post-season record (and time management and challenges in games0 but I believe this is a sensible move to put stability and continuity into the team. I'll take it.

Maybe another good draft (and Marvin does pretty well in the drafts) and we'll all have something more positive to focus on.

Has anyone been following this bizarre story out of SF, where the 9ers reportedly almost traded Harbaugh to the Clowns?

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/report-harbaughs-future-with-49ers-remains-uncertain/

I'm gobsmacked that the 9ers are hesitating to extend Harbaugh and are giving any consideration to replacing him. It's like the anti-Cincy.

Has anyone been following this bizarre story out of SF, where the 9ers reportedly almost traded Harbaugh to the Clowns?

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/report-harbaughs-future-with-49ers-remains-uncertain/

I'm gobsmacked that the 9ers are hesitating to extend Harbaugh and are giving any consideration to replacing him. It's like the anti-Cincy.

I'm down with that! IF YOU CAN'T WIN THE BIG ONE, NEXT MAN UP!!!!! Right Cobbie???

IF the Bengals' extend both Marvin and/or Dalton before training camp, I will officially and permanently retire as a Bengals' fan (much to the delight of some here I'm sure) and root against them, that's how much I will despise Mike Brown, more so than I already do.

No reason to sign either of them until after next season. So start by finding a long term potential replacement for Dalton in April or in FA.

Easy explanation Harbaugh is a douche.

Easy explanation Harbaugh is a douche.

Exactly. I remember the Super Bowl brothers stories that were out last year. Raven Harbaugh was reminiscing about how much they moved as kids. He said he didn't like it much, but SF Harbaugh didn't mind because by the time they moved SF Harbaugh had used up whatever "new kid" goodwill had been extended to him, and had no friends or prospects for friends. Asked to explain, he essentially said his brother is an ass. The abuse he dished out to the Detroit coach Jim Schwartz during that hand shake was reprehensible.