Steelers @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to think that we'll come out with a fire under our ass after this debacle. It would do this team a lot of good to just demolish the Steelers on our field in prime time.

We need to see a lot more Giovanni Bernard next week. He was clearly the more effective player today.

Obviously, need to cut down on the major mistakes. We blew this game today. Dalton was very good, the pass protection was good, we had the game in hand. The stupid mistakes are what gave Chicago the game. I don't know that I've ever seen a more classic example of us beating ourselves. I have a feeling we'll bounce back next week.

The defense got handed a bag of dog s**t based on the offensive turnovers...

That was the game.

Even could have overcome the first two but the Sanu fumble was killer.

Oh and also, Rey can please be benched or outright cut. Nope. Done now.

Steelers lost their starting center today, Pouncey with torn ACL and MCL.

Isn't that the same injury the LSU center we signed as college free agent had suffered.. Ben something....

That's not a nice injury. Hard to recover from.

Hoping Vontaze is ok this week. Things swell up and hurt way more tomorrow and Tuesday....

My thoughts on the first game and what we need to do to improve for next week’s game!

- Wondering why we resigned Maualuga, I don’t see any improvement on his play! Would Vincent Rey be a better fit or do we have someone on the practice squad that would be a better play maker for us?

- Orson Charles needs to improve and show us fans why the coaches picked him over Conner!!

- I know Giovani Bernard is only a rookie, but I think he needs to be the starter or get more playing time. He had some big runs that got called back because of dumb penalties!!

- Green had a good game. Sanu needs to protect the rock! I didn’t see any balls thrown to Tate, was he in the game (other than ST)?

- Dre Kirkpatrick needs to be more discipline! His 15 yard penalty resulted in points for the Bears!

- We got no sacks! – D line needs to put more pressure on the QB! Tackling wasn’t too bad at all.

- DB’s need to cover better.

- Adam Jones had a great punt return only to be called back on a stupid penalty!!

- It was nice to see Dalton use different assets all day!!

So if we’re going to beat the Steelers we need to do the following:

- Play a full game of football. Start fast and end the game strong! Tired of just barely getting by teams or just barely losing to teams. Let’s just go out, make a statement and dominate the Steelers!

- Focus on time management and time outs! Stop wasting time outs on stupid mistakes!

- Protect the ball

- Put and keep pressure on Ben all day and do not let him out of the pocket!! DB’s have to cover!!

- Avoid mistakes and do not retaliate if someone says or does something to you. We all know tat 99% of the time, the second person gets caught and flagged!!

I saw improvement in Maualuga's play. I also saw him singlehandedly end the game with an inexplicably stupid loss of discipline. The former justifies his continued presence. The latter justifies his being benched for a quarter or a half or something. I hope Marvin hits him hard somehow.

I saw improvement in Maualuga's play. I also saw him singlehandedly end the game with an inexplicably stupid loss of discipline. The former justifies his continued presence. The latter justifies his being benched for a quarter or a half or something. I hope Marvin hits him hard somehow.

It was a stupid play, no doubt. But Kirkpatrick's was just as bad, in my eyes.

Just saw that Stevens Howling the steelers RB is out for the year as well with an ACL

When you posted that, I thought, Dwyer will be back tomorrow. And sure enough...

One week ago, the Pittsburgh Steelers wanted nothing more to do with Jonathan Dwyer, but the events on Sunday changed all that.

NFL Media's Steve Wyche reported Monday that the running back was expected to re-sign with the Steelers, according to a source with knowledge of the developments, after the team lost LaRod Stephens-Howling for the season with a torn ACL.

See, I knew there was a reason I drafted this guy in FF... :lol:

Was skimming Pitt PG sportwriter Ed Bouchette's twitter feed from yesterday and ran across this gem:

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette 18h

#Steelers potentially one score down at 10-2 but fans now streaming out of Heinz Field with 9 minutes to go

Can I hear one more time about how the Bengals fan base sucks?

I wonder how this will impact the Monday night crowd; usually games at PBS vs. Pitt are half Steeler fans.

Finally, here's Bouchette's thoughts on how fcked the Steelers are with all the injuries:

OK, so the #Steelers will re-sign RB Jonathan Dwyer. But they need so much more. Now what do they do? They need to start with their line. This team needs help, especially in pass blocking. Ben Roethlisberger actually looked good despite getting sacked five times. That absolutely cannot continue. If they have to chuck the whole zone blocking scheme and re-sign Max Starks, something’s got to be done before this thing really goes into the dumpster.

The Steelers had two healthy halfbacks in Isaac Redman and Felix Jones before recalling Dwyer, who was cut Aug. 31.

John Malecki, I'm told, won't be coming back. Cody Wallace, rejected by Tampa Bay and signed last week, could be their next starting center. If they start Kelvin Beachum there, they lose their flexibility with him, especially at tight end. Ugh.

Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

The Steelers are a dumpster fire. Only one solution - Some tough talk from their coach about how they'll have to chew on it for a while, own it, experience it, then come out and play Steeler football!

He's a typical example of NFL coaches - If you have a quarterback you are some kind of genius. If you don't have a quarterback, you can't coach (until you get hired as an assistant again by a team that does have a quarterback). No one knows this better than Cowher. He struggled to find a guy, finally did, won a Super Bowl and got the hell out for good.

The Steelers coach inherited a quarterback. Nothing less, nothing more. When Ben retires, he should probably do the same.

Which brings me to Bellicheck. Dude was mediocre at Cleveland. Goes to New England, his immobile statue gets hurt and Brady comes in. Bellicheck wasn't even playing the guy until injuries forced it. Brady turns out to be about the best quarterback the league has seen in years, and Bellicheck is considered some kind of mad scientist. Again, bottom line - when Brady retires, Bellicheck should, and probably will, do the same.

All these injuries to the Steelers? It hurts them, but you know what? They still have a chance. And they still have a chance for one reason - Ben Roethlisberger. He can sling it, he can win you games. Which is my big complaint about our Dilfer 2.0. He's just not that guy who can carry a team through difficult times. Those guys don't grow on trees (unless you're Indianapolis), so we're fully invested in Andy.

The Steelers coach inherited a quarterback. Nothing less, nothing more. When Ben retires, he should probably do the same.

This is lazy. Yes, Ben has an amazing skill set that has definitely won them some games.

But they won Super Bowls thanks to defense and the ability to run the ball. Ben was just along for the ride:

2005 - 9/21 - 0 TD - 2 INT - 22.6 QB Rating - W - They actually WON this game?

2008 - 21/30 - 1 TD - 1 INT - 93.2 QB Rating - W - Not bad. Not spectacular.

2010 - 25/40 - 2 TD - 2 INT - 77.4 QB Rating - L - Again, pretty meh overall.

Do we honestly think Dalton isn't capable of this kind of performance?

No, he hasn't shown well yet in the playoffs. He also hasn't been surrounded by the same teams that Woerthlisberger has had the privelege of playing with. Let's see what happens this year before declaring that we know his ultimate ceiling.

The Steelers are a dumpster fire. Only one solution - Some tough talk from their coach about how they'll have to chew on it for a while, own it, experience it, then come out and play Steeler football!

And they might be able to do that in, oh, 2015 or so. I'm not going to write the Steelers' epitaph after one week, but there were plenty of people questioning this team coming into the year. Pittsburgh has had cap issues the last couple of years, which has led to a loss of talent, and their last few drafts have been "mehs." Quick, can you name one bona-fide, up-and-coming star on the Pitt roster? Yeah, me neither. Polamulu and Big Jen are all-pros, but they are 32 and 31 respectively and they can't do it alone.

That said, I expect Monday night to be a dogfight. The Bengals are p*ssed and the Steelers are desperate. Pitt hasn't lost its first two games since 2002 (after which they proceeded to go 10-3-1); the Bengals have only lost their first two once in the past 10 seasons (the horrid 2008 campaign). But in this case I think p*ssed beats desperate. Since 2008, the Bengals have dropped three of four openers. Each of those times they have bounced back strongly no matter the caliber of the competition. in 2009 they smashed GB, the eventual NFCN champ, 31-24. In 2010 they dealt a 15-10 loss to Baltimore, one of only four Balti losses that year. And last year they wrecked Cleveland in a 34-27 game that wasn't that close.

I'm thinking Bengals 27, Steelers 17.

I really feel like defense needs to dictate this game from the start. They played great run defense, but there pass defense was bad. I'm hoping they can pressure Ben all night and make him, make mistakes. I'm just ready for this defense to take over the season!

Would love to see more running with Bernard, and for Andy to continue where he left off. I love the 2 TE sets, it worked well yesterday. Offense line continue to pass protect like they did, but run blocking needs to improve.

No mistakes, when mistakes are made this team has a hard time coming back from them.

No mistakes, when mistakes are made this team has a hard time coming back from them.

Sorry volcom, but I have to disagree. One thing that stood out at me was how resilient they were yesterday. For example, one thing that I think got lost due to Green's second pick was that throw came on a first and 10 that they picked up after a Cook false start pushed them back to a first and 15 three plays earlier. On their opening drive of the third quarter (which ended in a TD) they fought their way out of a first and 20 prompted by a Gilligan hold. That score put them up 21-10 in the third despite losing the turnover battle 0-2 in the first half.

The issue wasn't that they couldn't come back from mistakes, it was that they couldn't stop making fresh ones.