1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Welcome to the 2013 NFL draft (Bengalszone Style) !!!

This is the place to discuss everything there is about who the Bengals are going to draft in the FIRST round.

Once again, let's try to keep things as organized as we can and if there are problems through the next several days, let me or one of the Mods know.

Thanks and here's to hoping this draft is a good one !!!

Is there a player that you are really hoping falls in the 1st ??

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This pick is the most broad prospectively among all first rounders in the Marvin era, by my measure. It could be anyone among about 15 guys.

These are the most likely three I think. One of them will be there:

Kenny Vaccaro

Cordarrelle Patterson

D.J. Fluker

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Fluker is there for the first second round pick, so there's a decent chance the Bengals pass on OT with that in mind. There are so many of them, one will probably drop. This is obviously impacted heavily by Andre Smith.

What I don't want in the first round is for the Bengals to settle. If Vaccaro is gone and they had their mind set on safety, don't just automatically reach for Elam or Reid or Cyprien. Keep the options as wide open as possible.

Agree that this pick could go in many different directions and none of them would probably surprise me much.

The thing that always gets me jazzed up in the first round is seeing who falls.

Nothing would please me more than seeing one of the top rated Guards (Warmack or Cooper) fall.

Then again, they would probably just trade down.

What I don't want in the first round is for the Bengals to settle. If Vaccaro is gone and they had their mind set on safety, don't just automatically reach for Elam or Reid or Cyprien. Keep the options as wide open as possible.

I will second this.

The draft is just to deep at certain positions (most of our needs) to reach for any player.

Cyprien was nowhere to be found a month ago.

Maybe a late round pick and then BOOM, he's a first round talent.

I guess he could be, but his small school status actually bothers me.

I know that can be blown out of proportion, but i'd rather pass if it's all the same.

I understand that but if you believe what Marvin says about what he wants in a safety, then Vaccaro and Cyprien are the guys. I just don't see Elam or Reid being what Marvin is looking for. Hey who knows should be fun seeing what they do. Still think they can move back in this draft get more picks, and still get a good player.

I actually hope they move back, Atlanta is looking to move not really sure how far though. If Vaccaro is still there, then take him, if not move back and get a guy like Cyprien, or the best player available. In the mean time they can pick up another 3rd round pick or so, which will be great for depth.

The more I look at it, the more I would like to see a trade down as well.

There simply isn't that much difference in the players from 21-32 in my opinion.

Minus someone falling that no one saw coming, it probably won't happen.

If someone does fall, the argument could most certainly be made to just take that player.

There really isn't much that is going to bother me in the first.

I really, really dont want a WR or a DE at 21, though I know several good ones will be available at 21

Make that 3 reallys if you're talking DT or QB

Lacy would be a major reach

Ogletree is not in consideration in any round. Odell v2.

I don't like OT Fluker (cant pass block) or OT Watson (25yrs old and yet still raw) here

I like Cooper the offensive guard, Vaccaro, or Arthur Brown - seen Brown mocked as high as 11 and as low as 3rd round - here.

I would not mind a blue chip corner here __if__ Vaccaro is gone

Or a trade down as long as it nets us a 3

I'd also like to see them trade away some of their later picks to move back up into 4, to pick up another potential starter. Keep a 6 for PK Sturgis - our PK needs some competition

A WR won't bother me if we trade down, because there is depth.

It would depend on the DE.

NO WAY do they take either DT or QB in the 1st.

OT wouldn't surprise me even though I wouldn't care for it with the depth in the draft.

I could envision one of the top two OG's falling (just like last year) only to see us pass on them.

I like Elam and Reid as well, but I'm not sure if that's Marvin's kind of safety. Too me safety has to be a huge priority, unless they get Kerry Rhoads after the draft. I would love Vaccaro in the first, or if Cyprien is there in the second would be awesome. Either way this should be fun!

I would be over-joyed if Tavon Austin fell to 21, but it's almost a guarantee that won't happen. I would like Justin Hunter as well (Chris Henry anyone?) at 21. According to Hobson, ML seems confident that Andre Smith will be signed before the draft, which would clear the picture a lot more. Playmakers are at a premium in this draft, and if we pass on a safety in the first (I agree that safety should be a priority), there will be guys in the second, like Cyprien or Elam or Reid, who will fill the need as well as Vaccarro could have. Get the playmaker! Make this offense feared! I really like Sanu, but making him the #2 WR based on four (great) games is foolish. Marvin Jones flashes, but I consider him unproven as well. Hunter is my choice for the 21st pick. Or Fluker. Geez, I can't make up my mind. I guess it's nice to be able to draft for depth for once B)

If the draft falls with Vaccaro, Cooper, Austin, Jones, Fluker (though the Twitter incident gives me some pause because i don't believe his account was hacked) all gone (and it is shaping up to look that way) trade down with a Buffalo or Philadelphia or Arizona looking to grab a QB back into the early second. Grab another third and maybe something for next year and take advantage of the depth in this draft.

The safety you are going to pick in the second is going to be the same grade as the guy you get @21. Personally I like D J Swearinger and Phillip Thomas (Shamarko Thomas is out no way Lewis drafts a 5' 9" safety he likes big DBs he has stated that repeatedly) @ 52.

Take your RB with one high second and the OLB with the other. Take your Safety with your natural 2nd there's good value there. Take Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick or Brian Schwenke with your high third and whichever WR is there with your natural third and you have filled your holes with players that give good value and the rest of the draft be aggressive with talent take some risks knowing that these are luxury picks.

I actually hope they move back, Atlanta is looking to move not really sure how far though. If Vaccaro is still there, then take him, if not move back and get a guy like Cyprien, or the best player available. In the mean time they can pick up another 3rd round pick or so, which will be great for depth.

If they do move down, I hope they get picks for next year or bundle it together with some of the lower rounders to get another 3rd rounder this year. There is no need for extra picks this year, at least half of the draftees will be cut after preseason already, why add more middle tier picks.

This is the year I would like to see them trade up into the second round with some of the extra picks from lower in the draft. If that involves trading out of the first to get some extras picks and ending up with 3 or 4 second round picks, sure I would love that.

I had a whole post ready to submit and the 2 year old just deleted it all with one push of the button. DANG IT DANG IT DANG IT !!!

Without retyping the whole thing, I will simply say that I think there is too much depth at the Bengals positions of need to reach for anyone in the 1st.

Barring one of the 2 top OG's falling, I can certainly see a trade down and maybe all the way out of the first round.

Don't like the WR's early or none are there ?? Fine, what about Da'Rick Rogers ??

Miss out on a safety ?? Rambo is the safety I want anyway, so good.

RB in the first ?? Don't be silly, there are at least 4-5 RB's that will fit what we do and can be had in the 2nd or 3rd even.

OLB ?? Yep, the 2nd round as well.

OT or Center ?? You guessed it, plenty of those later as well.

My point is, most of these guys could be had in the 2nd or 3rd and maybe either trading back, packaging picks to move back up, or maybe a combination of both of those would be the way to go. I know that's asking a lot and requires a team willing to do a deal, but that's where I am in regards to the first round.

So who are we taking ?? :lol:

Oh yeah, Eric Reid might be the player considered in the first round I hate the most.

Isn't Taylor Mays still on the team ?? We don't need another.

When the concern for the safety you are getting ready to select is his absolute liability in pass coverage, don't we know how this story ends ??

Do we really need our first round pick ending up as a really good teams player ??

NO TO REID !!

I had a whole post ready to submit and the 2 year old just deleted it all with one push of the button. DANG IT DANG IT DANG IT !!!

Without retyping the whole thing, I will simply say that I think there is too much depth at the Bengals positions of need to reach for anyone in the 1st.

Barring one of the 2 top OG's falling, I can certainly see a trade down and maybe all the way out of the first round.

Don't like the WR's early or none are there ?? Fine, what about Da'Rick Rogers ??

Miss out on a safety ?? Rambo is the safety I want anyway, so good.

RB in the first ?? Don't be silly, there are at least 4-5 RB's that will fit what we do and can be had in the 2nd or 3rd even.

OLB ?? Yep, the 2nd round as well.

OT or Center ?? You guessed it, plenty of those later as well.

My point is, most of these guys could be had in the 2nd or 3rd and maybe either trading back, packaging picks to move back up, or maybe a combination of both of those would be the way to go. I know that's asking a lot and requires a team willing to do a deal, but that's where I am in regards to the first round.

So who are we taking ?? laugh.gif

I'll bet it was a great post too, lol.

It's a really weird draft because there aren't that many guys that stand out. I have probably looked at 10 to 15 mock drafts and they are all completely different. I did find one at USAToday http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/24/mock-draft-luke-joeckel-geno-smith-ryan-nassib/2108223/ and the writer actually had about four or five trades which is unusual for a mock. So it just depends on who is there on the board.

Tyler Eifert is an intriguing possibility if he is still there at 23. You may not get the burner WR to stretch the field with him but perhaps he plays more to Dalton's strengths. He may not have Gresham's raw skill but I believe he's a better receiver and could be split wide a lot and used in the two TE sets like NE. I still think they will take a wide receiver because they will be limited on offense until they get a game breaking RB or someone to free up Green. And there are no great RB's worth taking that high and no guarantee that you will find someone better than BScott later.

The other option is to go defense by taking a safety or a LB. I just don't see MB giving first round money to a safety and unless they feel like the guy they draft can supplant Maualuga (or Harrison next year), they probably don't want take someone that won't contribute right away.

The quirk in the whole thing is the status of Andre Smith. Will they take his replacement this year? Would they consider moving up to take a G or T at the top third of the draft. I hope not but that may be the safe pick in the end.

I still feel like WR is the choice and Keenan Allen keeps coming up as the choice if he is still there.