Alabama trounces Notre Dame

Certainly not what expected from the Irish. While I thought it would be a tough game, I really thought it would be close.

It wasn't even a fun game to watch. Well, unless you are an Alabama fan of course.

Just about every championship game of the past 7 years has featured an SEC team trouncing their overrated opponent. Why would you be surprised? There were plenty of signs pointing to exactly that. ND would have had 4 or 5 losses and played in the Music City or Gator Bowl if they were in the SEC

Because I expected a Brian Kelly coached team to fare better than that showing last night.

He's an above average coach who gets top 5 recruiting classes each year.

This won't be the last time he has them there.

I'm a big Brian Kelly fan and think he'll be the best ND head coach since Lou Holtz but he doesn't have a reputation of being a guy who has his teams ready to play on Bowl gamedays. He was clearly outgunned here. If teams were switched and Kelly was coaching AL, the Crimson Tide still would have won easily. ND was over ranked going into that game. They should have lost a couple times including to Pitt who got blown out by Ole Miss. They can thank their Irish luck for USC not having the services of Barkley

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the bizarre coda to the game: Highly-touted ND LB Manti T'eo, who got abused in the game, got a lot of play earlier in the year for soldiering on after the tragic death of his girlfriend. Except the whole thing was a hoax and while he claims he was pranked, there's evidence to suggest he was in on it.

/>http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

And here is the bizarre coda to the game: Highly-touted ND LB Manti T'eo, who got abused in the game, got a lot of play earlier in the year for soldiering on after the tragic death of his girlfriend. Except the whole thing was a hoax and while he claims he was pranked, there's evidence to suggest he was in on it.

/>http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

One of the wierdest things I've read. The question I keep asking is, why would this guy do this? It gets him almost nothing.

Well, assuming he's not just a dope who got catfished (and lucky me I just found out about that tonight)!the leading theories are that 1. It was to boost his Heisman chances and $$$$ in the draft or 2. He's gay and this was some sort of cover. Time will tell I suppose.