THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

I wanna do Jessica Alba but she doesn't wanna do me back...Doesn't change the fact I really REALLY want Jessica alba..

SO well there was little to no chance coughlin was going to end up here doesn't mean Mikey didn't like him simply he doesn't wanna take the extra steps to win.

All I'm relating is what the scuttlebutt was at the time. IIRC Coughlin was the first candidate they interviewed, and reports were that he came in guns blazing, with plans not only for the team on the field but also a revamp of operations further up the chain to create something resembling a real pro football organization. In short, Tom was only going to work for Mikey on his terms, and that was a nonstarter.

Mularkey was interviewed not once, but twice -- once while Pittsburgh was still active in the playoffs and again after they had been knocked out. Word was that after the second interview, he had actually been offered the job, but as that year's hot young offensive coordinator he had other teams interested and wanted to do some other interviews before committing. The Bengals didn't want to wait, and so ended up giving the job to Marvin (who was alleged to be Katie & Troy's favorite). Mularkey would end up flaming out in Buffalo.

Hmmm Mularkey that does sound morel ike a Mike Brown hire.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget Coughlin...If Marvin is gone, I say pony up some dough and lure "The Chin" from the broadcasting booth. With Tomlin winning a SuperBowl with most of Cowher's players, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the chance to show him up twice a year, and who knows the AFC North better?...Also, a guy like Cowher has a ton of NFL connections, so I'm sure he could help the Bengals land a quality GM, and O-Coordinator.....But that would mean Mikey would give up too much power and $$$ so it's just a pipe dream.

If Cowher comes back I look for him to land in Carolina. He's got a house nearby and I think one of his daughters goes to school at NC State.

I really doubt he would come here and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays put in broadcasting. Coaching in the NFL is a no win proposition.

If Cowher comes back I look for him to land in Carolina. He's got a house nearby and I think one of his daughters goes to school at NC State.

I really doubt he would come here and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays put in broadcasting. Coaching in the NFL is a no win proposition.

Not only that but NC would probably give him the power he wants.

From Lance's blog

Marvin....last 17 games

The Bengals are 3-14 in their last 17 games, including the playoff loss to the Jets.

That is the worst 17 games stretch of Marvin's coaching career.

The Bengals were 5-12 in a stretch that ran from the final three games of 2006 (0-3) through the first 14 games of 2007 (5-9).

The Bengals were 4-12-1 in a stretch that ran from the final four games of 2007 (3-1) through the first 13 games of 2008 (1-11-1)

I think in 2007 at back end of that stretch I was loud on this board at showing him the door. Don't think I was wrong then, still don't. Same issues have cropped up, lack of discipline, lack of attention to detail, team tuning coaches out.

I think it's hilarious how you pull s**t out of thin air, then link it to the Bengals despite the fact that there's no justifiable reason to do so.

I dunno, Hair, seems like exactly the kind of thing that the man known both as the Redeemer and as Son-of-a-Genius would do.......

No it doesn't. But wallowing in this kind of stuff sounds exactly like the type of we Bengal fans like to do....when we're not writing equally stupid stuff about wanting someone to die because a football team is lousy.

Look, as a fanbase I know we're collectively down in the dumps and we have very good reasons to be so. But some of the stuff being uttered recently by BengalNation is embarrassing. And plenty of other stuff, including Hoosier's Wanny rant, may not meet the standards needed to be considered embarrassing, but it still qualifies as mindless pablum.

Point blank, if things have gotten so bad that some of you can no longer stand it there's only one thing left for you to do. Kill yourself....as a fan.

And if you care about those you're leaving behind then don't bother leaving a suicide note. Rather, let your silence speak for you.

No it doesn't.

Well, I remain convinced that it does.

You talk about Bengal fans doing/saying stupid stuff, but bottom line -- I see Bengals management doing stupid things year in and year out, and in my opinion as a direct result, we have one of the very worst W-L records in the NFL over the last 20 years.

I do look forward to new management, hopefully in my lifetime. I'm younger than Son-of-a-Genius is, so chances are good I will see this happen, eventually.

I see Bengals management doing stupid things year in and year out,

Speaking of the potential for further acts of front office stupidity, how about the prospect of no change at all?

"I have a job here and I don't know why everybody speculates," said Lewis on his conference call with Pittsburgh media Wednesday. "Mike (Brown) and I will come to an arrangement and when we come to that arrangement everyone will know about it, regarding the future of the football team here.

"It has not been something I have focused much at all on during the season and it is not a thing I am comfortable with talking about, my own situations."

You can almost here the "theme" from the front office now, pointing out all the close losses, the flood of injuries, the reliance on young'uns and latecomers (Gresham, Shipley, Owens) on offense, they just need to stay the course/catch some breaks/get a new yoke so the ox can pull the cart out of the ditch, etc.

I think the arrangement Marvin is talking about will be an announcement on the Monday after the Bengals final game that he and MB have decided go there separate ways but they're "still friends. It was not a firing or a resignation but a mutual parting of the ways.

Whatever...