Yahoo draft review

BlainThePain

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-best-and-worst-of-the-2010-draft?urn=nfl,236463

With the 2010 NFL draft in the rear-view, here's a quick look at the thrill of (early) victory and the agony of defeat (at least, on paper). Judging drafts right after they happen is a goofy exercise ... but nonetheless, here's how things look right now.

Best Overall Drafts

Seattle Seahawks: A win from start to finish. The Seahawks addressed just about every team need, and there were many of them. Getting Russell Okung(notes) and Earl Thomas(notes) in the first round was great, and Golden Tate(notes) could be a second-round steal, but the trades may make the biggest early difference. The Seahawks dealt a fourth-round pick for Titans running back LenDale White(notes), and a fifth-rounder for Jets speedster Leon Washington(notes). Depth picks helped their secondary greatly. For a first draft together, head coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider hit it out of the park - on several different occasions.

Cincinnati Bengals: An unheralded bounty of value. First-round tight end Jermaine Gresham(notes) will be a matchup nightmare at the next level, reminiscent of Antonio Gates(notes). End Carlos Dunlap(notes) has ridiculous athleticism, and should put the rest together under defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. The sleeper pick here is sixth-round receiver Dezmon Briscoe, who should develop into an attractive short-area and red zone target.

Oakland Raiders: And we're not even grading on a curve! Giving up Kirk Morrison(notes) for a Ziploc bag and a couple of Kit Kat bars was a bad move, but it was totally mitigated by getting Jason Campbell(notes) for a fourth-round pick ... in 2012! And instead of grabbing athletic freaks with limited football skills, Oakland addressed needs in its interior run defense, and took the projects later on. This is the kind of draft that could make the Raiders an upset special, if not a competitive team, in the short term. All we want to know is, who locked Al Davis in a closet?

San Francisco 49ers: Last year, the 49ers went a little pass-happy, running more shotgun than you'd ever expect from a Mike Singletary team. In this draft, they turned everything around and went smashmouth to the extreme. Tackle Anthony Davis and guard Mike Iupati(notes) should shore up the NFL's worst run-blocking line (and Frank Gore(notes) was still productive behind it). Safety Taylor Mays(notes) would have been a first-round reach, but he's a great fit and a good value in the second round. Underrated players like linebacker Navorro Bowman(notes) and running back Anthony Dixon round out a draft that should have the Niners competing hard for an NFC West title this season.

Worst Overall Drafts

Denver Broncos: To have a truly weird draft, a team must begin with an inexplicable first-round reach. Though Tim Tebow's(notes) intangibles are off the charts, there are far too many questions about his throwing mechanics in a long-term sense to spend a first-round pick on him, especially when you, as Denver did, trade multiple later picks to get him. Demaryius Thomas(notes) is a good deep receiver, but none of the three current Denver quarterbacks have good deep arms.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Big first-round reach, Part 2, with Tyson Alualu(notes) taken with the 10th overall pick. The Jags have spent far too much draft currency on their front seven and still show inconclusive results, a trend that continues through this draft.

Washington Redskins/New York Jets: Both teams made significant free agency moves, but unloaded talent on draft day that they may have been better off keeping. Both first-round picks (Trent Williams(notes) to the Redskins; Kyle Wilson(notes) to the Jets) are impressive, but the general sense in the NFL is that you build through the draft and augment through free agency. Both teams are expected to make playoff runs this season, and the ramifications will be interesting if they fall short.

Chicago Bears: Okay, let's get this straight. The Bears trade pretty much everything, up to and including George Halas' first leather helmet, for quarterback Jay Cutler(notes). They have needs all over their roster, despite a very active free agency plunge. And in their draft, which didn't start until the 75th overall pick, they spend one of their five picks on ... Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour, who refused to throw at the combine because he wasn't familiar with the receivers. Ouch, guys.

Biggest Reaches

Florida QB Tim Tebow: See above. When you have this many needs, and you blow multiple picks to get a quarterback that is at least one full season away from being a legit NFL starter ... well, let's just say that I wouldn't mind playing poker with Josh McDaniels sometime.

USF DE Jason Pierre-Paul(notes): The Giants took this pure pass rusher 15th overall with the more versatile Derrick Morgan(notes) still on the board. Pierre-Paul has a dynamic first step off the edge, but he's not good in run support and seems befuddled by line stunts and loops.

Alabama OLB Rolando McClain(notes): It's not so much that McClain isn't worth a top 10 pick, but in going eighth overall to the Raiders, Oakland gets a 3-4 inside guy and jettisons Kirk Morrison, breaking even in the end.

Cal DE/DT Tyson Alualu: Alualu can be a dynamic 4-3 tackle, but most mocks had him a full round below where the Jaguars took him with the 10th overall pick. There was word that the Titans were looking hard at Alualu down at 16, but this is another questionable move with possibly better positional talent still on the board.

Biggest Steals

Boise State CB Kyle Wilson: the Jets get a guy compared to an embryonic Darrelle Revis(notes) by some experts with the 29th overall pick. Some had Wilson going top 10. If the Jets' secondary wasn't already illegal with Revis and Antonio Cromartie(notes), Wilson should push the envelope.

Texas FS Earl Thomas: Called the draft's most instinctive safety by the NFL Network's Mike Mayock (a former NFL safety himself), Thomas could have easily gone in the top 10 as well. Seahawks general manager John Schneider, talking from the team facility on Thursday night, sounded stunned that Thomas was there for him to take with the 14th overall pick.

Tennessee DT Dan Williams(notes): Thought by many to be taken in the first 15 because he projected well as a 3-4 nose tackle, Williams fell to the Arizona Cardinals at the 26th pick. This was great news for a Cards team that had trouble stopping the run and lost several valuable players in the offseason.

USC OT Charles Brown(notes): While there are questions about his inline power-blocking, few expected Brown, the former tight end, to fall to the end of the second round. But that's where the Saints found him with the 64th overall pick. He's a good fit as a quick left tackle, and this might push Jermon Bushrod(notes) over to the right side.

Here's what Mel had to say:

Summary: Everywhere you look on the Cincy draft board, you see players you assumed would go much higher. Maybe no team outside of Baltimore did so much given its position. At No. 21, the Bengals got the draft's best tight end. At No. 60, they got a significant talent in Carlos Dunlap, a guy at one time considered a lock for the top 10. Problem is he rarely played like it, off-field issues aside. Poor Brandon Ghee was the last guy in the green room, which means most of us thought he could be at least a second-round pick. The Bengals nabbed him at No. 96. Roddrick Muckelroy is a decent pick at No. 131, and I also like the Dezmon Briscoe pick late in the sixth round.

Now with all that, what grade do you think he gave us? A? Nope. B? Nope. C? Yup. :wacko:

Here's what Mel had to say:

Summary: Everywhere you look on the Cincy draft board, you see players you assumed would go much higher. Maybe no team outside of Baltimore did so much given its position. At No. 21, the Bengals got the draft's best tight end. At No. 60, they got a significant talent in Carlos Dunlap, a guy at one time considered a lock for the top 10. Problem is he rarely played like it, off-field issues aside. Poor Brandon Ghee was the last guy in the green room, which means most of us thought he could be at least a second-round pick. The Bengals nabbed him at No. 96. Roddrick Muckelroy is a decent pick at No. 131, and I also like the Dezmon Briscoe pick late in the sixth round.

Now with all that, what grade do you think he gave us? A? Nope. B? Nope. C? Yup. :wacko:

I'd say C sounds about right. There are way to many questions to be any higher, but there is potential in every pick also.

We hit all needs besides Safety,We got some great value at times... for not moving not surprised :P I know I liked our draft ^_^

I guess Zimmer knows something about our safeties that we don't. At least I hope it's so...

Scouts Inc. at espn has some statistical system to analyze the draft. I'm not an "insider" so I dont know the details but I've read they ranked the Bengals as the 7th-best draft overall.

The system ranks teams based on how many picks they had, the value ranking for each pick, points for making trades, rankings based on the needs of the team and all of that gives you a final average. They had the Bengals tied at #7. When I looked at how they broke down the Bengals final average, this is the key thing I read and I paraphrase (slightly):

The Bengals landed the ONLY player in this draft who was a value at their MOST PRESSING NEED. (Gresham)

On a side note to ranking the drafts, Kiper gave us an overall gread a "C", which didn't even put the Bengals in his top 20 drafts of 2010.

We hit all needs besides Safety,We got some great value at times... for not moving not surprised :P I know I liked our draft ^_^

I guess Zimmer knows something about our safeties that we don't. At least I hope it's so...

Or at least about the health of our safeties. I actually think Roy played very well, as did Crocker, when they were in there, but quality depth is still an obvious issue.

There's a blurb in that draft review that talks about the Jets and the players they let go during the draft. Fanaca and Washington.

It's going to be REALLY interesting to see how the Jets look this year with them getting rid of some of the core of their team. Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Alan Fanaca. Also adding in Holmes and Comrartie. This isn't the same team.

I think they have a hard time duplicating their 3 game magical run at the end of last year. I think they are doing way too much overanalyzing in efforts to improve. Subsequently, screwing up their team chemistry because of the moves.

I hope they fall flat on their faces.

Or at least about the health of our safeties. I actually think Roy played very well, as did Crocker, when they were in there, but quality depth is still an obvious issue

Roy looked like a stud before he got injured even his pass coverage looked fine,Truthfully if Roy could stay healthy I'd loved to see stay bengal for next 3-5 years

There's a blurb in that draft review that talks about the Jets and the players they let go during the draft. Fanaca and Washington.

It's going to be REALLY interesting to see how the Jets look this year with them getting rid of some of the core of their team. Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Alan Fanaca. Also adding in Holmes and Comrartie. This isn't the same team.

I think they have a hard time duplicating their 3 game magical run at the end of last year. I think they are doing way too much overanalyzing in efforts to improve. Subsequently, screwing up their team chemistry because of the moves.

It feels like the Jets are running their team like it's franchise mode in Madden.

It works great in the game. We'll see how it works in real life. God knows Dan Snyder tried it.

It feels like the Jets are running their team like it's franchise mode in Madden.

It works great in the game. We'll see how it works in real life. God knows Dan Snyder tried it.

Lets hope it plays out the same way.

Not to mention that almost every QB goes through a sophomore slump.

Exactly.

Now he can go from the #31 ranked QB to the #32 ranked QB.

The Jets aren't sneaking up on anyone this year. All the attention they are attracting to themselves, Fat Rex's comments, Hard Knocks, aren't helping the cause.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are flying under the radar, keeping their mouths shut, and reloading.

Exactly.

The Jets aren't sneaking up on anyone this year. All the attention they are attracting to themselves, Fat Rex's comments, Hard Knocks, aren't helping the cause.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are flying under the radar, keeping their mouths shut, and reloading.

Flacco didn't have much of a slump 14 td 12 int to 21 td 12 int...But I could see Jets abandoning the run game throwing it much more which would be a mistake.

Exactly.

Flacco didn't have much of a slump 14 td 12 int to 21 td 12 int...But I could see Jets abandoning the run game throwing it much more which would be a mistake.

I agree with you there. It's possible Sanchez shows consistent improvement. However, Flacco IMHO, is a much more complete QB.

Exactly.

I agree with you there. It's possible Sanchez shows consistent improvement. However, Flacco IMHO, is a much more complete QB.

Ya and Ravens also didn't try turn him in to Payton Manning his 2nd season but simply played to the offenses Strengths...give the ball to Ray Rice!

With adding all these Wide Receivers I could see Jets wanting to pass it more,Rather then running ball down peoples throats.

Listening to the tail of of Colin Cowherd this morning, he was listing off winners and losers of the draft.

I thought it was pretty funny that one of the winners he listed was not a team, but a person. He said he thought Carson Palmer made out better than any other individual player on the draft weekend.

I thought it was clever, kind of funny - and also true. I guess if you're going to have a $100 million QB, you want to give the guy weapons. Still wish it had played out differently, but I do think, if nothing else, we're going to see a better Carson Palmer this year.

Or at least about the health of our safeties. I actually think Roy played very well, as did Crocker, when they were in there, but quality depth is still an obvious issue

Roy looked like a stud before he got injured even his pass coverage looked fine,Truthfully if Roy could stay healthy I'd loved to see stay bengal for next 3-5 years

I'm with you. Although I say 5 years would likely be too much, but 3 years is good. I think he still has it in him.

This from Hobson's blog:

Look for the Bengals to look for a few things between now and training camp:

A contract with veteran tight end Reggie Kelly. Not taking USC’s Anthony McCoy in the fifth round seemed to indicate that.

A veteran running back in the Larry Johnson mold who can lug it 25 times if Cedric Benson has to sit out a few games. Brian Leonard and Bernard Scott are perfect spot players, but the Bengals need a backup bellcow. Which would seem to suggest they’ll go with four running backs and one fullback.

The fullback is Fui Vakapuna and while the Bengals have had interest in re-signing Jeremi Johnson, it doesn’t look to be mutual or they would have got it done before the draft.

They’re probably in the market for a fourth safety. Tom Nelson was a different player after he got hurt.

Wow, a bell cow running back ?? Even a safety ?? Really ??

So there was nothing in the draft at those positions, but we now have to go out and get those guys huh ??

They must have just realized they needed them yesterday... <_<

Bullsh*t, Bullsh*t, Bullsh* !!!

This from Hobson's blog:

Look for the Bengals to look for a few things between now and training camp:

A contract with veteran tight end Reggie Kelly. Not taking USC’s Anthony McCoy in the fifth round seemed to indicate that.

A veteran running back in the Larry Johnson mold who can lug it 25 times if Cedric Benson has to sit out a few games. Brian Leonard and Bernard Scott are perfect spot players, but the Bengals need a backup bellcow. Which would seem to suggest they’ll go with four running backs and one fullback.

The fullback is Fui Vakapuna and while the Bengals have had interest in re-signing Jeremi Johnson, it doesn’t look to be mutual or they would have got it done before the draft.

They’re probably in the market for a fourth safety. Tom Nelson was a different player after he got hurt.

Wow, a bell cow running back ?? Even a safety ?? Really ??

So there was nothing in the draft at those positions, but we now have to go out and get those guys huh ??

They must have just realized they needed them yesterday... <_<

Bullsh*t, Bullsh*t, Bullsh* !!!

Meh. After the 4th round went by, I didn't expect them to get anything at those positions to get me terribly excited.

There are plenty of decent free agents out there, that I didn't really expect them to even take a look at. If Hobson is saying they will - it makes me feel a lot better.

Unless they reload the positions of "guy who tapes other teams walk-throughs", and "guy who tapes and steals other teams' sideline signs", I think the Patriots are just another NFL team.

I think the depth of their cheating is unknown. Go back and look at how they've done once they were caught and fined half a million bucks. They quit cheating, and suddenly you don't hear announcers saying the Patriots are so good, it looks like they know what the other team is doing. They did know what the other team was doing. But they don't anymore, so I don't find them particularly intimidating.