DRAFT GRADES ROUND BY ROUND

vettespd20

For what it's worth, I am not seeing the "reach" that many of you are complaining of.

Apparently, Kindle or Mays, for instance, would have been reaches, as they are still there heading into round 2...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B

It feels to me like they have decided that the answer to TJ's departure lies with the TE rather than slot receiver. IMO we already have a decent slot receiver and (while I'm still slightly surprised they didn't go Dez) they don't feel the need to get a logjam at speed receiver. If they had gone with Dez, I can honestly say I'd have some butterflies for the next few months as it would be the classic high risk-high reward scenario. I would've like the value of the pick, but I'd be concerned about him getting into trouble/holding out/being a general jackass. It looks like Gresham is far from that type of personality and that's a plus. Again, this looks to me like they want to work underneath and, as opposed to Coffman being a bust, they're likely to go 2 TE a lot this season. The heady days of 2005 over the top to Chad are probably a thing of the past. This team looks like it's shoring up to be a running and short to medium route passing team for the next 5 years. And I don't have too much of a problem with that. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they go RB with one of the 3rd rounders.

What am I missing? How is this a slam dunk? Why is Gresham so much better than Coffman? I agree Palmer needs weapons, but with Dez Bryant sitting there. I just am not sure. I am missing the Gresham brilliance.

C-

Coffman had a whole year and couldn't get on the field so he'd sure as hell be better than Coffman. I hope Chase turns it around but you can't be sure. You can't say that after 9 months of non football play that Coffman will magically become a player that he wasn't in 2009

What am I missing? How is this a slam dunk? Why is Gresham so much better than Coffman? I agree Palmer needs weapons, but with Dez Bryant sitting there. I just am not sure. I am missing the Gresham brilliance.

C-

Coffman had a whole year and couldn't get on the field so he'd sure as hell be better than Coffman. I hope Chase turns it around but you can't be sure. You can't say that after 9 months of non football play that Coffman will magically become a player that he wasn't in 2009

The problem there is that Gresham has not played football for a year also. Whichever one is the least rusty and can learn the scheme the best will be the TE that has the best early season. Since it is Coffman's 2nd year learning the system, I would say he will have a better start to the year.

C-

The problem there is that Gresham has not played football for a year also. Whichever one is the least rusty and can learn the scheme the best will be the TE that has the best early season. Since it is Coffman's 2nd year learning the system, I would say he will have a better start to the year.

For the most part, neither has Dez Bryant but that fact doesn't seem to bother anyone.

C-

For the most part, neither has Dez Bryant but that fact doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Gresham was injured. Bryant was not. That is the difference.

B+

They had one glaring need on this team. And they got a guy who can at least capably fill it. He may be even better than that, we'll see. But if he has to, he can start and I'm confident he'll be effective. For a draft pick in the 20s, that is good.

Gresham will be better than Coffman the moment he signs his contract. Coffman has bust written all over him, and if there was any doubt the Bengals just answered it with the pick of Gresham.

If you remember Hard Knocks, the tight ends coach was a teammate and close friend of Coffman's father (may have had some influence on why we picked him). He said he'd known Chase for pretty much the kid's whole life. My point is he surely got every bit of attention and effort he could get from his position coach, and he still couldn't get on the field, even for special teams. He's just not physical enough in a postition that requires it. Gresham = Problem Solved.

C-

I didnt want a WR in the 1st round either. I was hoping for a S, OG or a LB (inside or out, whatever the team thinks Rey would not be playing in the future). So that is what I am still looking for in the second round, now.

The value is questionable if some sources are believed, rock solid if you believe others. But there are medical issues to consider, and no matter how serious you feel they might be they were enough to keep Gresham sidelined for a year, and for that reason alone it isn't a clean pick.

I'll give it a B...with a chance of bumping to an A depending on how the rest of the draft falls.

Sam Bradford? Much more serious injury considering his position than Gresham's. I've heard no red flags regarding Gresham's injury. In fact the Bengals didn't even feel the need to bring him in for a second visit thus they were very confident of his health.

If I'm grading for just this pick... well, it's hard to be objective because I simply didn't want Gresham. And if McCoy is available at the comp pick in the 3rd round tonight, I'm really going to have trouble - but it is what it is, so I'll try to refrain from bias.

The TE position was clearly the one position that most needed addressed in this draft. I don't know if it's fair to call Gresham a "reach" because if that's who the Bengals wanted, that's when they had to take him. I very much doubt he would have made it out of the 1st round, and might have been taken with the 22nd pick.

That said, he wasn't the BPA, so it feels a little like the Levi Jones pick. Sure, it was the pick that addressed the biggest need, but was it the best value?

I'm still very concerned about his history of knee problems, but from what I have read, he a willing and able blocker, and I think if he's healthy, he will be coached up.

I doubt he ever reaches the Antonio Gates comparisons I have heard, but he's a hall of famer - so it's unfair to hold the 21st pick to that standard.

All in all, I'd give it no better than a B because I don't think he was the BPA, but it's hard to throw a fit about filling one of the only glaring needs for this team. However, the injury concerns are big for me in the 1st round... so I give it a C+, and hope he pans out.

One thing that I think is getting lost in the debate over Gresham is that the Bengals have done just about everything but sell their collective souls to the devil to avoid doing what they did yesterday. Recall a couple years back, when Marvin nutshelled the challenge of getting a "complete" TE: either you use a high pick on a top prospect, or you wait and draft some guy who can catch and then teach him to block.

The Bengals have been trying to do the latter since at least Matt Schobel, with no success. They paid Reggie Kelly to come up from Atlanta, and part of the reason at the time was that Kelly thought he was a better receiver than he got credit for, and wanted to show it. Two years ago, they chased down RFA Ben Utecht in yet another FA shot at an all-around TE.

So Gresham has been a long time coming -- and it isn't like the team didn't spend a lot of time, money and effort to avoid him.

Recall a couple years back, when Marvin nutshelled the challenge of getting a "complete" TE: either you use a high pick on a top prospect, or you wait and draft some guy who can catch and then teach him to block.

Since you handled the part about teaching a receiver to block I'll focus on the cost. And the risk. Because the bust percentage of 1st round TE's is pretty high, and many of those who don't bust still manage to disappoint their teams with average production or lengthy history of injuries. Plus, the teams that draft 1st round TE's eventually find themselves confronted with the same questions they faced on draft day. Cost versus production. And that results in only the very very best 1st round TE's signing 2nd contracts with the teams that drafted them.

At #21 the Bengals are betting on Gresham being a great player, not a good one.

Gresham A- was a need got the best Tight End on Draft and some considered best since Vernon Davis came out

Dunlap B Boom or Bust has all tools to be great player,I trust in Zimmer turning this guy in to great End

Shipley B Very Productive Shifty feed with good field vision will be a good 3# WR

Ghee B Well I heard he was supposed be 2nd/3rd rounder another boom or Bust but Coyle has done a great job with our DB's and Zimmer was former DB couch so I trust they really liked this guy if they felt to take him here.

Overall:B

Because the bust percentage of 1st round TE's is pretty high,

I don't see this

Brandon Pettigrew Only one year under his belt but was a Solid Producer played in 11 games.

Dustin Keller Great player who help kill ys

Greg Olsen I wouldn't call Olsen a bust he's a good player and can produce Problem is the team he plays for

Vernon Davis One of biggest threats at TE atm

Marcedes Lewis Solid Producer on a bad offense

Heath Miller Great Tight End though under used by his team still has taken part in beating us plenty of times

Kellen Winslow His talent was there his bustness came from his bad character

Bejamin Watson Solid Producer

Dallas Clark One of best receiving tight ends in football

Jeremy Shockey I wouldn't lable him a bust just a douche bag.

Daniel Graham He produced and was a good blocking Tight End

Jerramy Stevens Was a bust but again his biggest problem he was a douchebag who was full of himself.

So I'm not seeing the high bust value at position? 2 out of 11?

Gresham: C-

I've made my concerns about his injury history known. I'm also a little miffed by the quality of TE that was still available at the end of the 3rd. They could have taken their pick of Dickerson, McCoy, Pitta, and Hernandez... and had a 1st round defender to show for it.

Dunlap: B+

I might like this pick more than most... but I think he's going to be good. He's got all the talent in the world... he just needs someone to motivate him. I believe Marvin and Zimmer can get the most out of him.

Shipley: B-

I like this kid a lot. I think he has tools to take advantage of nickle corners, and is known for having the strongest hands in the draft, as well as being a superb route runner (two things that can't be said about Caldwell). The Bengals still don't have a true vertical threat, so this doesn't fix the passing game... but I do like him a lot.

Ghee: C

Not sure about him. He's talented, but will he get much playing time over Trent? I doubt it. Good depth I suppose, but there were greater needs. If the Bengals determined he was the BPA, I can't complain too much. Was hoping for someone for the front seven though.

1. Gresham = B

Addressed a franchise weakness.

2. Dunlap = C-

Didn't like some of the questions about lack of drive or motor at times.

3. Shipley = B-

Could become a Kevin Walter type of third down receiver.

4. Ghee = B-

Could be a good special teamer on FGs and Punts with his quickness off the edge.

Overall I think there is a lot of potential but I would like to see a guy in the 2nd pick that has a real chance to start. Hopefully Zimmer saw something in Dunlap that he liked and I will defer to his judgment until proven otherwise.

Interesting that the team didn't take an O-lineman or safety in the 2nd. They must feel pretty good with what they have right now.

Also did anyone really think the Bengals were going to take Colt McCoy in the 3rd? I think one of the ESPN crew mentioned that before they picked Shipley.

I'm calling it a night after this, but here we go...

Gresham- B (Fills a need with a starter, but there were other players there)

Dunlap- C (Unmotivated, undisciplined, don't know where he fits)

Shipley- D+ (Will NEVER be a #1 or #2 and we now have at least 3 slot receivers)

Ghee- D+ (Forgot we still had Jones on the roster, so not sure he provides any upgrade)

With that thought in mind, I average our draft through the first 4 picks as a "C".

Not exactly what I had in mind and I can't believe they didn't make better use of their picks. Meanwhile, other teams simply find a way to make multiple trades both up and down and even manage to get rid of lower end picks for higher picks in next years draft. I was more than happy to see what happened last year, but I think they were sitting on their hands hoping lightning would strike twice and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Makes me question just how lucky we got last year if truth be known.

Dunlap- C (Unmotivated, undisciplined, don't know where he fits)

I think people are making too much of the "unmotivated" "undisciplined" talk. He wasn't as producive as he should have been, but his nickname was "Freak 2" after a guy named Kearse who came from Florida. Maybe you've heard of him?

He's got more ability right now than Geathers will ever have. They just need to coach him up a little. He'll be a hell of a starter one day. For now, Odom, Geathers, M. Johnson, and Dunlap will be a hell of a rotation. I do think the pass rush got better today.

Ghee- D+ (Forgot we still had Jones on the roster, so not sure he provides any upgrade)

I agree... which is why moments after he was drafted I wondered aloud "Maybe they think he can play FS." because otherwise, yeah. The pick doesn't make much sense.

On the other hand, the Jets have Revis, Cromartie, and drafted a 1st round corner. Maybe there's some new defensive scheme that requires 9 DBs?

My Grades for the first 3 rounds. Overall,I rate this draft as a solid B.

Jermaine Gresham - B+, He was not the sexy pick. However, he was the best receiver/TE on the Oklahoma team. Yes he

had a ninjuryissue that cost him last season. However, he was impressive on film (watch the Florida-Oklahoma National

Championship Game) and lit up the Oklahoma Pro Day.

Carlos Dunlap - I give this one an A. If it wasn't for the DUI, Dunlap would have been a top 15 pick. Helead the

SEC in sacks last season. I had him going to the Bengals in my original mock draft in the first round. 6'5 278 and a 4.6 guy.

Yep I'll take it.

Jordan Shipley - C+ - A solid receiver with good hands and amazing production. As much as I have been pulling for

Simpson to breakout, I do not think it is going to happen. More importantly, I do not think the Bengals think so either.

Brandon Ghee- B - I have to say I forgot all about this kid. I was happy to se he was in person at the draft and I loved

seeing him hold the striped helmet. NFLscout.com has the kid as the 8th best corner prospect in the draft and had him with a sold 2nd roud grade.

This seems to be solid value and he has blazing speed.

I think people are making too much of the "unmotivated" "undisciplined" talk. He wasn't as producive as he should have been, but his nickname was "Freak 2" after a guy named Kearse who came from Florida. Maybe you've heard of him

Michael Johnson was also labeled as unmotivated motor and he always gave it his all last season,When you have couch like zimmer I just don't think you can play unmotivated.

I can't complain. Palmer got what he needed, weapons to give new juice to a flagging offense, and in particular a big target at TE that the Bengals have been lacking forever. Zimmer got help for the pass rush and secondary -- needs coaching up, but that's why we were all screaming for the Bengals to keep him at all costs. Nothing is for sure in the NFL but I am giving this draft a big, fat A so far.

Yeah, I guess I'm a homer. Sue me. :sure: