DRAFT GRADES ROUND BY ROUND

vettespd20

Seems like we're grading "Picks" not "Rounds" like the title suggests, so

Gresham A Best damn pick we've made so far. I've raved about him enough, so I'll leave it at that.

Dunlap B- Decent value for where we got him, but will never get double-digit sacks. Good against the run, Average pass rusher.

Shipley C+ One of those guys who are productive in college, but find out that, that productivity doesn't translate to the NFL.

Will suffer from Peter Warrick syndrome. Nothing more than a #3 WR.

Ghee D+ Not better than David Jones or Morgan Trent. Will never replace our starters, and will only beat out the other 2 for Nickel CB

if injuries occur. Played 3 Years at Wake Forest had 1 CAREER Interception. They must see something I don't.

Notice the picks are getting progressively worse?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't complain. Palmer got what he needed, weapons to give new juice to a flagging offense, and in particular a big target at TE that the Bengals have been lacking forever. Zimmer got help for the pass rush and secondary -- needs coaching up, but that's why we were all screaming for the Bengals to keep him at all costs. Nothing is for sure in the NFL but I am giving this draft a big, fat A so far.

Yeah, I guess I'm a homer. Sue me. :sure:

it's funny how things workout before the draft you seemed bit down and everyone else was excited then 2 days in everyone else is sad and you excited,But i'm with you I really like this draft.

Shipley makes sense when you consider that Caldwell and Simpson are in the last year of their contracts. Cosby is primarily a KR and depth for the WR position.

Depending on how, or if, Shipley shakes out as a KR will depend on the fate of Caldwell and Cosby. Both are good players but I like the fact that the Bengals are not sitting on "ok and productive" but are adding talent to their depth for this year and years following.

Good, solid pick.

Shipley makes sense when you consider that Caldwell and Simpson are in the last year of their contracts. Cosby is primarily a KR and depth for the WR position.

Depending on how, or if, Shipley shakes out as a KR will depend on the fate of Caldwell and Cosby. Both are good players but I like the fact that the Bengals are not sitting on "ok and productive" but are adding talent to their depth for this year and years following.

Good, solid pick.

Um Caldwell & Simpson have 2 years left (4year contracts played 2 so far) Simpsons contract is more like 5 months...Maybe They wanted pure Slot Guy and they plan use Caldwell on outside

PS,Don't tell shipley he can't play outside ;)

Q: Can you describe your game? It seems like you are more of a slot guy who can go down the middle and make the tough catches:

JS: “I like to think of myself as a guy who can play outside, too. I played half the year at ‘X’ this year, which is the outside spot. I feel like I can win those one-on-one matchups and win on the deep balls. And then also, I can move into the slot and mix it up in there, too. I think that’s part of what makes me a successful receiver.”

Good, solid pick.

Um Caldwell & Simpson have 2 years left (4year contracts played 2 so far) Simpsons contract is more like 5 months...Maybe They wanted pure Slot Guy and they plan use Caldwell on outside

Q: Can you describe your game? It seems like you are more of a slot guy who can go down the middle and make the tough catches:

JS: “I like to think of myself as a guy who can play outside, too. I played half the year at ‘X’ this year, which is the outside spot. I feel like I can win those one-on-one matchups and win on the deep balls. And then also, I can move into the slot and mix it up in there, too. I think that’s part of what makes me a successful receiver.”

Hmm, I thought they were 3 year deals. Either way, Shipley adds something to the offense. From what we've seen of Caldwell, and obviously Simpson, the slot position needs an upgrade. If he can play outside, even better.

Good, solid pick.

Hmm, I thought they were 3 year deals. Either way, Shipley adds something to the offense. From what we've seen of Caldwell, and obviously Simpson, the slot position needs an upgrade. If he can play outside, even better.

Haven't seen Bengals do a 3 year deal for quite some time think last time was maybe 2004 or 2003.

Good, solid pick.

Haven't seen Bengals do a 3 year deal for quite some time think last time was maybe 2004 or 2003.

Good point, you're right. Maybe I was just wishing Simpson had a 3 year deal.

Good point, you're right. Maybe I was just wishing Simpson had a 3 year deal.

No doubt haha,But I think if Mardy is stairing them in face 4th round comp you take him and then let the 6 best WR's make the team :P my money would be

Byrant,Ochocinco,Caldwell,shipley,Mardy & Quan...Carson has his big huge target in Gresham so he shouldn't mind Jones not making the team ^_^

Ravens fans giving the Bengals picks alot of respect over on their official board. Gresham, Dunlap, Shipley, and Ghee were all players they (fans) were looking at. Especially Ghee. Alot of worry about their secondary not getting attention as we methodically address our weaknesses.

I think we've done pretty well so far. We'll see this season.

Ravens fans giving the Bengals picks alot of respect over on their official board. Gresham, Dunlap, Shipley, and Ghee were all players they (fans) were looking at. Especially Ghee. Alot of worry about their secondary not getting attention as we methodically address our weaknesses.

Yup I think they just got alot hype because they traded for Boldin and well better WR then byrant didn't cost us 2 draft picks.

Though Kindle & Cody are great pickups just replacing some depth they had loss via FA.

Yup I think they just got alot hype because they traded for Boldin and well better WR then byrant didn't cost us 2 draft picks.

Though Kindle & Cody are great pickups just replacing some depth they had loss via FA.

For what it's worth, Trent Dilfer picked the Bengals draft selections as the best so far through 3 rounds, while one commentator (Bruschi?) said the Ravens and the other (Edwards?) said the 49ers. Nice to not get kicked around on draft day anymore.

Here goes:

Gresham - C- Could have gotten a TE with the abilities needed later in the draft.

Dunlap - C- Lacks the high motor and motivation needed to be a rush end. Character issues, too.

Shipley - C They needed some WR depth and the hands slot guy was the biggest need left, after signing Bryant and Jones.

Ghee - B Nickel corner upgrade, I was hoping for this in the middle of the draft, it would be a great pick if any of the above three picks had been A's or B's

They need a S, and OG with the next two picks, if this happens the draft maybe saved. If these two positions are left untouched, this is a wasted draft. All of the picks might be slight upgrades, but the value that they got at the position taken (other than Ghee) is lacking, IMO.

Surprising thing about the dunlap pick was I figured why would get hammered with the Bengals are up to it again! But every reveiw i've read about the pick has been posative that Bengals are Known for redeeming players that they did their homework on the selection...really thought we would be reemed for it.

For what it's worth, Trent Dilfer picked the Bengals draft selections as the best so far through 3 rounds, while one commentator (Bruschi?) said the Ravens and the other (Edwards?) said the 49ers. Nice to not get kicked around on draft day anymore.

Exactly. This board is being far too critical. We've had a GREAT draft so far. I was a little upset with not drafting Dez, and he may go on and be a top receiver in the NFL. Next year's draft class is going to be sick so I'm not too worried. We still have Chad and Bryant on the outside, and if Chad isn't re-signed he'll be replaced next year.

TE was a need and we filled it with the top TE in the draft.

I'd give it a solid B I like all the selections my only compliant is ignoring Safety so we'll be going in to the season with the same ones as last season.

I concur. A solid "B" but will have to address the safety issue. Nelson won't do for the future. Hopefully we can pick a decent fill in after the cuts begin.

I'd give it a solid B I like all the selections my only compliant is ignoring Safety so we'll be going in to the season with the same ones as last season.

True. Then again, we were doing pretty well at the position until Roy got hurt. If the Bengals believe his injury was a fluke thing and not an indication of a cronic problem (and I figure they have better medical info than we do) we should be in decent shape.

It's also very possible (in fact, I'd call it likely) that they pick up a veteran safety in the next few months. There was a pretty good run on safeties in the early rounds, and that will put a lot of roster pressure on around the league. There will be some options down the road.

True. Then again, we were doing pretty well at the position until Roy got hurt. If the Bengals believe his injury was a fluke thing and not an indication of a cronic problem (and I figure they have better medical info than we do) we should be in decent shape.

It's also very possible (in fact, I'd call it likely) that they pick up a veteran safety in the next few months. There was a pretty good run on safeties in the early rounds, and that will put a lot of roster pressure on around the league. There will be some options down the road.

I love Roy and since we missed out on May's my fingers are crossed he can stay healthy and get a 2nd contract with us...my biggest worry about missing out on a Safety is Tom Nelson does he improve enough to justify his spot?

But overall I really do like this draft I didn't get one player I was pimping before it we targeted several positions earlier then I wanted to see but from what I read and seen I really do like the sound of all the players we got.Not as good as 2009 but my 2nd favorite in Marvin Lewis Era...Got Carson 3 New Weapons and I don't care what people here say about WR's IMO there a upgrade over what we had It's nice to actually have a Talent like Gresham at TE then the Defensive Depth 3 Passrushers &a high upside cornerwhich I'm happy to see because like I preached before the draft our passrush was overrated and probably bottom 10 in NFL...

The back end has ignored several key areas (S, RB, OLB) and missed talent that could have had a far bigger impact. (D+)

Erm We drafted a OLB in the 4th anymore draft picks spent on Linebacker would probably be flushed down toilet....

SLB:Reyrey,Jeanty,Muckelroy

MLB,Dhani,Hodge

WLB:Keith,B.Johnson

So now we have our future SLB when Rey moves inside.