Browns workin' it

Who will we see first behind center, Jake or Brady? My money is on Jake.

Browns, Delhomme agree to 2-year deal

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP)—Jake Delhomme(notes) has a new NFL home, and the Cleveland Browns have another new quarterback.

Delhomme, released last week by the Carolina Panthers, has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Browns, whose quarterback position has been nothing short of a merry-go-round of players since the club returned as an expansion team 11 years ago.

Delhomme’s agent, Rick Smith, said the 35-year-old QB would sign his contract before the club’s off-season conditioning program begins. Smith refused to comment beyond saying Delhomme would be resuming his career in Cleveland.

A team spokesman said the Browns have no announcements planned.

Cleveland has been busy trying to resolve a troublesome position. Earlier this week, the Browns acquired backup Seneca Wallace(notes) and released Derek Anderson(notes), a one-time Pro Bowl selection who has struggled in the past two seasons.

Delhomme is expected to compete for Cleveland’s starting job with Brady Quinn(notes), who has yet to receive any endorsement from the club’s new front office.

Delhomme visited the Browns on Thursday but left without a deal. He had scheduled a meeting with the New Orleans Saints, his hometown team, but canceled that trip after working out the principles of a deal with the Browns.

Since 1999, the Browns have had eight different opening-week quarterbacks.

Delhomme is coming off his worst season as a pro. He threw 18 interceptions and the Panthers decided to cut him despite still owing him more than $12 million. Delhomme went 58-40 as a starter with Carolina, leading the franchise to its lone Super Bowl appearance to end the 2003 season.

Who will we see first behind center, Jake or Brady? My money is on Jake.

Browns, Delhomme agree to 2-year deal

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP)—Jake Delhomme(notes) has a new NFL home, and the Cleveland Browns have another new quarterback.

Delhomme, released last week by the Carolina Panthers, has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Browns, whose quarterback position has been nothing short of a merry-go-round of players since the club returned as an expansion team 11 years ago.

Delhomme’s agent, Rick Smith, said the 35-year-old QB would sign his contract before the club’s off-season conditioning program begins. Smith refused to comment beyond saying Delhomme would be resuming his career in Cleveland.

A team spokesman said the Browns have no announcements planned.

Cleveland has been busy trying to resolve a troublesome position. Earlier this week, the Browns acquired backup Seneca Wallace(notes) and released Derek Anderson(notes), a one-time Pro Bowl selection who has struggled in the past two seasons.

Delhomme is expected to compete for Cleveland’s starting job with Brady Quinn(notes), who has yet to receive any endorsement from the club’s new front office.

Delhomme visited the Browns on Thursday but left without a deal. He had scheduled a meeting with the New Orleans Saints, his hometown team, but canceled that trip after working out the principles of a deal with the Browns.

Since 1999, the Browns have had eight different opening-week quarterbacks.

Delhomme is coming off his worst season as a pro. He threw 18 interceptions and the Panthers decided to cut him despite still owing him more than $12 million. Delhomme went 58-40 as a starter with Carolina, leading the franchise to its lone Super Bowl appearance to end the 2003 season.

I dont think it matters, Quinn is an overrated bust and Delhomme is over-the-hill as an NFL QB. I see alot of INT's for opponents of the Brownies this season.

I know they are trying to shop Quinn, but if I recall correctly his contract is incentive driven and if he doesn't play, it doesn't cost them much to keep him.

I expect Wallace to be the Browns starter. Delhomme fell apart in an offense he'd been running for years. I don't see him picking up the Browns offense AND playing well in it.

why in the world would you sign a qb that another team paid 12 million dollars to get rid of. on top of that you give him 7 mill for this up coming season. i would be pissed if i was a clown fan. they better have plans to draft some1. i just don't see jake, wallace or quinn winning any games with that team. this has to be the worst group of qb's in the entire nfl.

Poor Browns fans. I'm being serious when I say that to. First they go out and get Seneca Wallace, who sadly enough will probably be their starter and then to not even give their first round pick from a few years ago at least one more shot, and go out and add Delhomme to the mix. Wallace is nothing more than a career backup and never will be, at least not on a Browns roster that has zero playmakers. There's simply not enough support for Wallace in my opinion. Then you sign Delhomme, who I really hope is their starter. Why ?? Because I will be looking forward to the two games we play them this upcoming season where Hall and JJoe combine for 5 picks in each game. Delhomme is old, washed up, and on that roster will do worse than he did in Carolina.

The Browns fans just can't catch a break when it comes to that organization being serious about getting a real QB. Heck, even the Jets made a big move last year to get Sanchez and would bet you don't hear anyone complaining about that move in New York now. Sure that was a risk, but tell me this, is Delhomme and Wallace NOT a risk for the whole upcoming season ?? You know what you are getting and none of it is good.

Sorry Browns fans. No really, sorry...

It's not over with the Browns QB saga, from Jay Glazer...

Brady Quinn has a new home.

The Cleveland Browns have traded their former starting quarterback to the Denver Broncos, FOXSports.com has learned.

In return, the Browns will receive running back Peyton Hillis and two conditional draft picks.

The move comes one day after the Browns signed free agent QB Jake Delhomme to a two-year deal and less than a week after the team traded for Seneca Wallace.

Quinn, the 22nd overall select ion in the 2007 NFL Draft, played in just 10 games for the Browns in 2009, completing 52.2 percent of his passes while throwing for eight touchdowns and seven interceptions.

I've never seen an NFL team swap QB's like hubcaps at a flea market! :o

It's not over with the Browns QB saga, from Jay Glazer...

Brady Quinn has a new home.

The Cleveland Browns have traded their former starting quarterback to the Denver Broncos, FOXSports.com has learned.

In return, the Browns will receive running back Peyton Hillis and two conditional draft picks.

The move comes one day after the Browns signed free agent QB Jake Delhomme to a two-year deal and less than a week after the team traded for Seneca Wallace.

Quinn, the 22nd overall select ion in the 2007 NFL Draft, played in just 10 games for the Browns in 2009, completing 52.2 percent of his passes while throwing for eight touchdowns and seven interceptions.

I've never seen an NFL team swap QB's like hubcaps at a flea market! :o

The Browns got a deal there, I would have traded Quin straight up for Hillis and they got the Broncos to pitch in 2 draft picks too.

Wimbley for a 3rd? To bad were in the same division would have minded picking him up.

Browns got a good deal for Quinn and seem to have settled for a third here. Wimbley always seemed like a good player to me.

I agree. He had a good season a few years back but didn't do much since.

I'm guessing Holmgren just told the world he found his new QB...in the draft.

I think they're going for Claussen. As weird as this may sound to many, I'm hoping they don't get Tebow. I'm one that thinks he's going to do well in this league in a few years.

I don't care who they get. I just like the way they have to go back to the well for another drink.

They're in full rebuilding mode in Cleveland, if not starting from scratch again....and that's pretty funny even if I agree it's the right thing for them to do.

Holmgren apparently has gushed over Bradford. Cleveland might try to hop all the way to the top.

Who needs a QB more? STL or Cleveland? Tough call. If Cleveland does land the #1 pick they are going to get FLEECED by the Rams. I'm all for that.

Agreed. I'm not impressed by the moves Holmgren has made already and that would seem the most questionable decision of all.

Holmgren apparently has gushed over Bradford. Cleveland might try to hop all the way to the top.

Who needs a QB more? STL or Cleveland? Tough call. If Cleveland does land the #1 pick they are going to get FLEECED by the Rams. I'm all for that.

Agreed. I'm not impressed by the moves Holmgren has made already and that would seem the most questionable decision of all.

He seems to be a polar opposite of Phil Savage. Instead of trading picks for players, he's selling the farm for picks. Oh and bringing in some really quality caliber QB's. However, like Hair said, he's got to start somewhere and rebuild. At the best they rebuild and overachieve this year and contend in 2011. At the worst the Browns remain at the bottom for the next 3-4 years. Seems like a do or die situation.

The thing with Holmgren is is strikes me as the kind of person that would take some of those 12 picks in the upcoming draft and package them to move forward. I just don't see the point in doing it in the first round, when sitting at #7 will get you a very nice QB to add to the current arsenal of dashed hopes.

Yea, they finally got their asses in gear last year and started playing pretty well. Then Holmgren comes in and gives the organization the full football genius treatment. Total dismantle and rebuild. What was it Hoosier said about last year's Browns, "Expansion 4.0?"

• 4 weeks later...

There's a rumor floating around that Holmgren might have been hinting at trading their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks to get the #1 overall and draft Bradford.

If I'm the Rams, I'm all over that, because first of all, I think Bradford is a china doll, and secondly, with a draft this deep, those 3 extra picks could go a really long way.

If I'm a Browns fan, I would immediately start banging my head against a wall.

There's a rumor floating around that Holmgren might have been hinting at trading their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks to get the #1 overall and draft Bradford.

If I'm the Rams, I'm all over that, because first of all, I think Bradford is a china doll, and secondly, with a draft this deep, those 3 extra picks could go a really long way.

If I'm a Browns fan, I would immediately start banging my head against a wall.

Wow. I'd love to see the Browns pull a Mike Ditka and halt their rebuilding process.