Defense for Week 13

Kazkal

26th in passing yds meant about 35 more yds a game worse than the #1 passing D a few weeks back. Terribly overblown stat which is blindly trotted out. The fact that teams can't run on us also helped that stat seem more unbalanced. All they had to do was stop giving up the 4 or 5 big plays a game and voilĂ , here were are. Kicking butt and taking names.

Awsome i love having a great defense. Now comes the test, with these next two games i really think its going to be tough to stop them from scoring. So i guess we will see if they can hold that #4 overall spot or not.

Isnt crazy though how Green Bay is #1 who would have thought that....not me. I didnt even think they were that great, i mean Tampa Bay seemed to do what they wanted to them, and here they are #1 right now lol.

I think it's entirely logical to call the Bengals defense the best in the league right now. I'm excited every time they're on the field (which feels so foreign).

Pretty Crazy to think how good our defense is even with all the injurys we've had...Steelers lose polamalu and all their woes get blaimed on that....Ravens lose Suggs and its the end of the world...Our Defense loses a player and simply another one steps up.....God I love Zimmer Mike Brown needs to pay the man NOW Otherwise he's gonna go Brian Kelly on us. ^_^

26th in passing yds meant about 35 more yds a game worse than the #1 passing D a few weeks back. Terribly overblown stat which is blindly trotted out. The fact that teams can't run on us also helped that stat seem more unbalanced. All they had to do was stop giving up the 4 or 5 big plays a game and voilĂ , here were are. Kicking butt and taking names.

Yup, prior to the 2nd Bengal/Raven game it was said both defenses were then tied for most big plays (+20yards) surrendered. Weeks later the Bengals defense had improved to 2nd best.

Isnt crazy though how Green Bay is #1 who would have thought that....not me. I didnt even think they were that great, i mean Tampa Bay seemed to do what they wanted to them, and here they are #1 right now lol.

Sure, but this is their schedule so far, and those teams offensive rank in parentheses.

Bears (24th)

Bengals (18th)

Rams (25th)

Vikings (5th)

Lions (26th)

Browns (32nd)

Vikings (5th)

Buccaneers (27th)

Cowboys (3rd)

49ers (28th)

Lions (26th)

Ravens (15th)

So basically, they've played 3 games (Vikings twice) against teams in the top 14 in offense.

They've also played 7 games against teams ranked 24th or worse offensively.

I'm not knocking them, because they dont have any control over who they play, but their numbers aren't telling the whole truth.

Sure, but this is their schedule so far, and those teams offensive rank in parentheses.

Bears (24th)

Bengals (18th)

Rams (25th)

Vikings (5th)

Lions (26th)

Browns (32nd)

Vikings (5th)

Buccaneers (27th)

Cowboys (3rd)

49ers (28th)

Lions (26th)

Ravens (15th)

So basically, they've played 3 games (Vikings twice) against teams in the top 14 in offense.

I'm not knocking them, because they dont have any control over who they play, but their numbers aren't telling the whole truth.

Really? Of all those offense you listed...

The bengals have played the Bears too.

The bengals have played the Lions too.

The bengals have played the Browns too.

The bengals have played the Browns...again.

The bengals have played the Ravens too.

The bengals have played the Ravens...again.

The bengals have also played the Raiders.

I'd be careful. If you want to claim their defense is not legit because of their opponents, the same thing could apply to us.

Bears (24th)

Bengals (18th)

Rams (25th)

Vikings (5th)

Lions (26th)

Browns (32nd)

Vikings (5th)

Buccaneers (27th)

Cowboys (3rd)

49ers (28th)

Lions (26th)

Ravens (15th)

Really? Of all those offense you listed...

The bengals have played the Bears too.

The bengals have played the Lions too.

The bengals have played the Browns too.

The bengals have played the Browns...again.

The bengals have played the Ravens too.

The bengals have played the Ravens...again.

The bengals have also played the Raiders.

I'd be careful. If you want to claim their defense is not legit because of their opponents, the same thing could apply to us.

Joe, you are a fool.

most of this should factor how they were rated (ie, how they were playing) at the time.

you write dunce-like replies. "be careful" ? WTF does that mean?

there are a handful of turd ferguson's on this site and you are the leader.

Pong likes to point out that defensive and Special Teams TD's shouldn't count for the offense, and that TD's given up on turnovers shouldn't count against the defense.

But then you find that the defense is giving up less than 15 points/game. And the 17 points/game he likes to bitch about ends up being just enough to get the win. I bet he hates that.

Pong likes to point out that defensive and Special Teams TD's shouldn't count for the offense, and that TD's given up on turnovers shouldn't count against the defense.

But then you find that the defense is giving up less than 15 points/game. And the 17 points/game he likes to bitch about ends up being just enough to get the win.

Not necessarily. There have been teams that allow more points than they score who have made the playoffs, and there have been teams who have outscored their opponents by quite a bit that have had losing records.

It's possible to average more points than your opponent and still finish 1-15. It's also possible to average less points than your opponent and finish 15-1.

But then you find that the defense is giving up less than 15 points/game. And the 17 points/game he likes to bitch about ends up being just enough to get the win.

Not necessarily. There have been teams that allow more points than they score who have made the playoffs, and there have been teams who have outscored their opponents by quite a bit that have had losing records.

It's possible to average more points than your opponent and still finish 1-15. It's also possible to average less points than your opponent and finish 15-1.

I think what the majority here is trying to say is this:

We were 4-11-1 last year: sucked.

We are 9-3 this year: great.

Do we have what it takes to make it past one game in the playoffs: who knows. Peyton Manning could get hurt before the season is over, or Palmer can get his knee shredded on the second offensive play from scrimmage in the first playoff game.

Bottom line, enjoy the ride and zip it. Many have called for the Pong trollization. You are starting to wear thin.

Many have called for the Pong trollization. You are starting to wear thin.

This message board has become a bloody place of late.

And at what cost?

Pong must be saved. Granted, he's twisted and ever so slightly retarded. But that's what makes him the Bengals #1 fan, as so clearly stated with every post he writes.

He is blameless.

In fact, he is what they've created....Mike Brown's monster, unleashed upon an unsuspecting populace.

Mercy.

And for all of you having greedy fun making sport of all things Pongian, ask yourself the following question before you blast away at the Pongian forehead. Ask yourself how you'd feel today if yor favorite team had just lost a playoff game to the Detroit Lions in the 12th week of the regular season. Ask yourself how much something like that would hurt if it happened to you? Because all of these horrible things just happened to Joe, apparently.

Bengal Nation, where is your pity?

And at what cost?

Pong must be saved. Granted, he's twisted and ever so slightly retarded. But that's what makes him the Bengals #1 fan, as so clearly stated with every post he writes.

He is blameless.

In fact, he is what they've created....Mike Brown's monster, unleashed upon an unsuspecting populace.

Mercy.

And for all of you having greedy fun making sport of all things Pongian, ask yourself the following question before you blast away at the Pongian forehead. Ask yourself how you'd feel today if yor favorite team had just lost a playoff game to the Detroit Lions in the 12th week of the regular season. Ask yourself how much something like that would hurt if it happened to you? Because all of these horrible things just happened to Joe, apparently.

Pong is Eddy, from the "Vacation" line of theatrical releases.

Falls in a well, eyes go crossed. Kicked by a mule, they go back.

He is the dim-witted, citer of the obvious, the house guest who clogs the toilet and never hits the fan. His mere presence makes us all go down a notch in IQ points.

Redeeming qualities? I can only hope in real life he does not mistreat animals, has a family that cares for him and has been a good enough boy to avoid coal from Santa.

And at what cost?

He is blameless.

Mercy.

Pong is Eddy, from the "Vacation" line of theatrical releases.

Falls in a well, eyes go crossed. Kicked by a mule, they go back.

He is the dim-witted, citer of the obvious, the house guest who clogs the toilet and never hits the fan. His mere presence makes us all go down a notch in IQ points.

Redeeming qualities? I can only hope in real life he does not mistreat animals, has a family that cares for him and has been a good enough boy to avoid coal from Santa.

<head bowed> amen.