Now for the good

walzav29

OK. After the Browns close call ealier in the year. The Bengals went right to Baltimore, so they could get "up" for the game. This time we have 2 teams that they are supposed to beat. Clev and Det. Now it will be fresh in their minds what not to do. Hopefully they learned a couple of things to handle differently when they head back West vs SD. I win over SD will help more than a win over Oak. Just for tie breaker sake. Pitt lost as well so hopefully this will be a wake up call. The Bengals gave this game away, so We'll have to steal either Minn or SD. This team is young and will learn.

this team is 1-3 when favored. (Barely won the one)

This team is 6-0 when not favored.

I dont get it. Where is the leadership? Next weeks game is as much up for grabs as any game this year. This team can win or lose against any team they play.

Im disgusted today. This team shouldnt need wake up calls. The last 15 years should have been that call.

Again, this team shows it cant handle being successful.

Up 7 with 2 min left and lose to the worst offense in the NFL.

Next week will be a tough game. Now these teams think they can win. No more intimidation factor.

My confidence level in this team just fell to the floor.

I think there is a whole other gear to maintain a high level of consistency against every team that takes a while to get. The Colts yesterday faced the same situation. They just pulled it out though. The Bengals have to learn that. I'm glad they get a shot to learn that the next 2 weeks. Great lesson coming.

We are going to have to go 4-2 at worst to win this division. Thats assuming Pitt will lose 1 more. Doesn't Baltimore HAVE to win at least 1 against them?

Yeah - I have to realise what this team is and not get ahead of myself.

They are young and need to learn.

I just cant fathom how they had every opportunity to win yesterday and didnt take it. Left the door wide open for Oakland and they took it.

We left the door open for Pitt and Baltimore the last two weeks as well.

This better be another wake up call just like the Browns game and Houston game. We just need wake up calls every few games.

At least we dont have to complain about getting no media respect. Cant really ask for that anymore. Not unless we win 3 in a row.

Its all music at work today. No sports radio or tv until at least wednesday.

HOW COULD THEY LOSE THAT GAME!!!! up 14 to the worst offense in football?

As elated as I was last week. Im equally deflated now. ugh

I'm over it. This is the NFL, and every team can compete with every other team. A few mistakes, ie fumbles in this case, and you lose.

Our rookie receiver may have fumbled that kickoff return, but he's been monstrously clutch for us in other games. Forgiven.

We've got a great opportunity ahead of us. We play both participants in yesterday's Fail Bowl on successive Sundays. Teams that are already down, they just need kicked a few times. I hope Ced's a fast healer, because we need him badly.

If you've still got the game on dvr, check out the first step of the Raiders' d-lineman on the left side of their line. It was amazing. He looked offsides on every play, that's how quick he was. It killed any rhythm our offense was trying to get going. Maybe we can trade Chad for that guy. Al Davis is dumb enough, he'd probably go for it.

Ha Ha! That's me exactly. The minute the game was over I turned off the tube and haven't listened to any tv or sports radio since, nor will I until later in the week. Self preservation, bengals-fan style.

Ha Ha! That's me exactly. The minute the game was over I turned off the tube and haven't listened to any tv or sports radio since, nor will I until later in the week. Self preservation, bengals-fan style.

I hear that. This is one of those times I'm glad I live out of town. Fortunately, the Deadskins took a brutal loss to the Cowboys, so nobody's talking any smack there. Another guy I work with is a Donkeys fan, and they've just rattled off 4 straight losses.

Fortunately I don't know any Raider fans, since I try not to spend much time near prisons.

ANother good thing is this was EXACTLY like the Browns game. Now they know they can't rely on the whole cardiac cats thing. Sure Palmer would have led them to a FG if Caldwell doesn't fumble. BUT he did. That is the lesson here people. Now rip the Browns, Lions, KC, and Jets a new one and cardiac cat wither the Vikings or SD!

Similar small relief in Baltimore this morning. On the heels of another late loss in a game the Ravens could have won but gave away, no one here is reveling what happened to Cincinnati (or Pittsburgh). They are mostly vomitous because of the missed opportunity.

Which, frankly, is something Bengals fans share. Hell, so do Steelers fans. What a communal AFC North waste of opportunity.

Im in Cleveland so everyone here is disgusted.

All the steeler fans

Browns fans

and me.

Should have called off.

Its unbelieveable that every AFCN team should have could have won but lost.

All AFC North teams lost heartbreakers. They all should have won. I wish the Bengals could have capitalized but since we're in 1st this sort of week hurts the other teams more than us. In the NFL you win some of these and you lose some. In a dream season you win all of these. In a crap season you lose 'em all.

Good things:

1. Bernard Scott is getting irreplaceable experience running the ball in the NFL. If Benson is OK or starts, no way he gets 20+ carries in a game.

2. Coles still coming on strong. Caught a deep pass, is getting in rhythm with Carson.

3. Morgan Trent got a little exposed. Having payed very well so far this season, the rookie came up short and should learn from the tape and improve his technique.

4. Carson called his own shot on the two TD's. This tells me he is confident in recognizing the defense and making adjustments. Many games so far this year, he looked to just run the plays as scripted or directed. Good for you Carson. Brat is not on the field and you need to have veto power in all situations. I trust you FAR more than I trust Brat.

5. Hall and JJoe still look like Pro Bowl CB's.

Good things:

3. Morgan Trent got a little exposed. Having payed very well so far this season, the rookie came up short and should learn from the tape and improve his technique.

Trent was on the injury list with a knee so I think it's safe to say he wasn't 100% going into that game

How valuable are these lessons for our young guys though?

B. Scott learning that you gotta be in tip top shape to carry the load in the NFL

Caldwell learning you can only get so far

Trent learning. Well hopefully he learned something.

We have to remember that this is a rebuilt team and hopefully these lessons bloom in the playoffs.

How valuable are these lessons for our young guys though?

B. Scott learning that you gotta be in tip top shape to carry the load in the NFL

Caldwell learning you can only get so far

Trent learning. Well hopefully he learned something.

We have to remember that this is a rebuilt team and hopefully these lessons bloom in the playoffs.

Hopefully Trent learned that he should be looking to cover his man instead of looking over his opposite shoulder into the backfield. Your man will give you the indication of whether the ball is coming your way, you need to watch his hips and his arms while you keep near to his chest. Damnit Trent!

this team is 1-3 when favored. (Barely won the one)

This team is 6-0 when not favored.

I dont get it. Where is the leadership? Next weeks game is as much up for grabs as any game this year. This team can win or lose against any team they play.

Im disgusted today. This team shouldnt need wake up calls. The last 15 years should have been that call.

Again, this team shows it cant handle being successful.

Up 7 with 2 min left and lose to the worst offense in the NFL.

Next week will be a tough game. Now these teams think they can win. No more intimidation factor.

My confidence level in this team just fell to the floor.

The only game really disappointed me out of those 4 is the raiders...

-Broncos first game season offense was rusty but still if it wasn't for the tip>_<...But it's okay because we win the next 3...

-Texans I don't think this is horrible loss Texans are a underrated team they have how many 1st rounders on defense? They had one of the top offenses before Owen got hurt...

-Browns it was a close game but a win is a win.

This team is young and will learn.

In a nutshell. They aren't the finished article. Still, I thought we would have about 7 wins at seasin's end so I'll take this in a heartbeat.

Not sure I buy that.

The same problem with the offense's inability to sustain anything and to consistently put points on the board has plagued this team all season. It's not something that has improved one damn bit during the season. Our offense is led by guys like Carson, Chad, Lavaranues, Cedric, Whit, Bobbie, Jeremi Johnson, Chris Henry before he got hurt...these are not young players. They are vets who have been around for a long time, not rookies and 2nd year players. I just want some sign of improvement and consistent production

Let's revisit...

Denver- shut out for the first 59 and a half minutes.

Cleveland- shut out for almost 4 entire quarters. (after scoring in the 1st, we were held scoreless for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and almost all of OT)

Houston- zero point in the 2nd half

Pittsburgh - no offensive TDs the entire game

Baltimore- shut out for the 3 full quarters after scoring in the 1st

Oakland- 3 points in the entire 2nd half

That's a bunch of games where our offense was completely inept for most, if not all of the game, and compeltely disappeared for extremely long stretches. Don't know how you can blame that on youth when we have a pretty veteran offense.

This team is young and will learn.

In a nutshell. They aren't the finished article. Still, I thought we would have about 7 wins at seasin's end so I'll take this in a heartbeat.

Not sure I buy that.

The same problem with the offense's inability to sustain anything and to consistently put points on the board has plagued this team all season. It's not something that has improved one damn bit during the season. Our offense is led by guys like Carson, Chad, Lavaranues, Cedric, Whit, Bobbie, Jeremi Johnson, Chris Henry before he got hurt...these are not young players. They are vets who have been around for a long time, not rookies and 2nd year players. I just want some sign of improvement and consistent production

Let's revisit...

Denver- shut out for the first 59 and a half minutes.

Cleveland- shut out for almost 4 entire quarters. (after scoring in the 1st, we were held scoreless for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and almost all of OT)

Houston- zero point in the 2nd half

Pittsburgh - no offensive TDs the entire game

Baltimore- shut out for the 3 full quarters after scoring in the 1st

Oakland- 3 points in the entire 2nd half

That's a bunch of games where our offense was completely inept for most, if not all of the game, and compeltely disappeared for extremely long stretches. Don't know how you can blame that on youth when we have a pretty veteran offense.

OMG!! Joe just save yourself a lot of time and just type in, ETC or Ditto or even S.O.S cuz that's all we here from you is The same old S**T.

by the way, "if the season ended today" (and it does not), the Bengals would apparently still be the #2 seed and have a bye, for whatever tie-breaker reasons, apparently.

Need to win the next two, badly, to get to 9-3, then take a deep breath for the last four.

If they win the next two, they will have gone 3-1 for the third straight quarter of the 16-game season. That's a nice pace.

They let one get away, but it is not fatal, just can't let it compound. Next two are really important.

i personally think that it is our own mistakes that kills most of our drives. when we execute and not make mistakes, penalties, fumbles, missed assignments. we move the ball at will. think about how many times we have had 1st or 2nd and short. only to have a penalty called to make 2nd and long. or chad has a 30 yard catch called back because of holding. it happens to much and at this point it should not be such a problem. it's very disturbing that our offense is still making these mistakes, that should have been taken care of in camp. i damn sure hop we fix this!

then special team wtf is going on here, are these guys this bad or is simmons not the guy for this job? i have never seen teams play this bad ever and we had some bad ones.

our play calling, i like that we can run the ball. you have to know when to run and when to pass. clearly brat has not figured that out. brat has to use carson and company more. when we get our passing game gets going that opens up the defense. we then go into a complete shell and just run run run. we have to mix it up more and put the game on your 130 million dollar qb and not a rook and a 3rd down back. we need ced back he is our polamalu.

Well i hope they get things fixed quick, and they dont make Brady Quinn look like Joe Montana next week lol. If they keep losing these games they should win they might not even make the playoffs, with teams like Houston still in it and Jacksonville. So they better get with the program and wake up!

Well i hope they get things fixed quick,

I'm not really sure that there's anything to "fix," per se. It's not like we can point to players A, B and C and say they need to do this, that and the other thing better. It's more a matter of doing what they are already doing more consistently. What was it JJoe said of his late missed pick? "I make that catch 10 times out of 10." Well, except you didn't. Making that catch 10 times out of 10 is what they need to work on. And that's all about time and reps and practice, until making that catch 10 out of 10 times is something you do like breathing or walking.

This is a heck of a team. But it's...raw. Squeaky. A first-generation product, prone to breakdowns and unexpected failures. It doesn't have that flow and grace that comes with time and work. We'll see how they can smooth out the tune here in the stretch run.