Morgan Trent

membengal

For a guy who engendered a lot of bitching (especially for a 6th round pick) on draft day on this board, all I have seen is a big physical corner who is covering receivers like a blanket and has turned into a special teams demon. As near as I can tell, he's now the 3rd corner, David Jones is a rumor with regard to seeing the field, and Crocker can go back to safety duties more or less full time.

Not bad at all for a 6th round pull.

I've only really seen him play in the last two games. Andre Johnson pretty much raped him in the Texans game, which is to be expected. But he did do well against the Bears and I remember he made a couple of good breakups in the Ravens game.

I'd say so far he's doing well, but they shouldn't be leaving him out there one on one with receivers like AJ. That's just stupid.

Goes to show us that lower round players are Diamonds in the rough sometimes

I'd wager the Bengals have found more of them than most teams lately too. It seems like every year a late round pick is contributing something for us.

2009 - Morgan Trent (6th round)

2008 - Corey Lynch (6th)

2007 - Chinedum Ndukwe (7th)

2006 - Ethan Kilmer (7th)

2005 - Tab Perry (6th), Johnathan Fanene (7th)

Goes to show us that lower round players are Diamonds in the rough sometimes

I'd wager the Bengals have found more of them than most teams lately too. It seems like every year a late round pick is contributing something for us.

2009 - Morgan Trent (6th round)

2008 - Corey Lynch (6th)

2007 - Chinedum Ndukwe (7th)

2006 - Ethan Kilmer (7th)

2005 - Tab Perry (6th), Johnathan Fanene (7th)

I don't recall Corey Lynch or Ethan Kilmer doing much for us. I know Kilmer returned an INT for a TD a couple of years ago against the Saints, but other than that I don't know.

I don't recall Corey Lynch or Ethan Kilmer doing much for us. I know Kilmer returned an INT for a TD a couple of years ago against the Saints, but other than that I don't know.

Lynch was the least impactful of those I listed, probably. Kilmer was only a difference maker in his rookie season, but he was a nasty special teamer. I might venture to say his special teams performance that year was the best we've seen this decade.

Let's hope this late rounder doesn't suffer an injury that renders him almost completely useless on his return.

Players not picked on the first day probably make up the bulk of starters in the league - could be wrong. No idea where one could find those kind of stats. Is there a single team in the league where the majority of the 54 is from rnds 1 & 2. Nup. Scouting is crucial.

Kilmer was only a difference maker in his rookie season, but he was a nasty special teamer.

Correct, pretty much injured after that. Did have that nice return for a TD against the Saints, as mentioned earlier, as well

I might venture to say his special teams performance that year was the best we've seen this decade.

Uhm no

Look at the picture ever so slightly to the left, please.

As you can see, Mr. Myles would like to have a word or two with you

Kilmer was only a difference maker in his rookie season, but he was a nasty special teamer.

Correct, pretty much injured after that. Did have that nice return for a TD against the Saints, as mentioned earlier, as well

I might venture to say his special teams performance that year was the best we've seen this decade.

Uhm no

Look at the picture ever so slightly to the left, please.

As you can see, Mr. Myles would like to have a word or two with you

What's the deal with your man-crush on Reggie?

Dude's been gone for years.

Morgan Trent?

Yeah, I'll eat a little crow on that one. Trent was easily my least favorite draft pick, although I conceded withoput argument how he had the physical skills needed to play CB in the NFL. But I simply didn't see a guy with the instincts and experience needed to play well quickly, and after the draft I described Trent as a rookie version of Delta O'Neal, a CB who needed to be completely torn down and rebuilt.....something I wasn't convinced would happen at all no matter how much time passed. But Kevin Coyle has seemed to manage that trick quite nicely and very quickly....just as he managed to do with O'Neal.

Props.

I consider the Morgan Trent success a dividend from having depth which this franchise has so lacked over the years. Because we already had a couple 1st rd CBs and depth at S we didn't have to press Trent into a heavy workload. We could work him in as a nickle back likely against another team's 3rd or 4th WR. He also doesn't get over exposed. This is the way successful teams develop players. This is how a succesful team's roster works.

For a guy who engendered a lot of bitching (especially for a 6th round pick) on draft day on this board, all I have seen is a big physical corner who is covering receivers like a blanket and has turned into a special teams demon. As near as I can tell, he's now the 3rd corner, David Jones is a rumor with regard to seeing the field, and Crocker can go back to safety duties more or less full time.

Not bad at all for a 6th round pull.

Yeah, I don't remember who it was, but somebody was doing some major bitching that we should have taken Mike Mickens, Rashad Jennings, or Trevor Canfield over Morgan Trent. Then I read the Bengals draft grade from Walterfootball.com (who is the only "draft guru" that I take serious) and he loved the pick saying that he thought he should have been a fourth round pick, and as of right now, it looks like he was right.

By the way, Rashad Jennings only has 60 rushing yards, and Mike Mickens and Trevor Canfield are practice squad players.