Andre Update

jonahdsage

Can't wait to see Big Fella knocking down some bears.

If he's even ready to play come the Bears game... If not that game hopefully after the bye-week.

There's no way in hell Mike Brown is letting a guy making that much dough sit on the bench much longer - let alone an 0-lineman.

I'd also consider putting Collins back at LT to see how he does and moving Whit to LG, because he's not a very good LT, and shutting out Dumerville doesn't mean he's ready for the PB.

There's no way in hell Mike Brown is letting a guy making that much dough sit on the bench much longer - let alone an 0-lineman.

I'd also consider putting Collins back at LT to see how he does and moving Whit to LG, because he's not a very good LT, and shutting out Dumerville doesn't mean he's ready for the PB.

I agree, that would be our best line!

LT: Collins- He's better having to play against speed than power, he played great last year and shouldn't be benched

LG: Whit- He was on the cusp of the Pro Bowl for playing Guard, he hasn't played to that level this year, I've started calling him s**tworth!

C: Cook- He's playing great, but with only one year left on his contract, are we gonna sign him back

RG: Williams- He's playing OK, but not great, with only one year on his contract, do we draft someone next year or move Livings to RG?

RT: Smith- Road Mauler, line him up and give him somebody to pancake!

Man, that was pretty high praise from Marvin. Andre must be diligently working whatever program the Bengals gave him. This is good news, I'd love to see him contribute in a meaningful way this year.

/dashes about to find wood to knock on, curse you formica desk!/

Collins has been the weakest link in the whole o-line this year. You guys wanting to move him to LT are crazy.

Whitworth hasn't been a pro bowler... it's true, but he held Harrison at bay against the Steelers. Yes, at times he needed help, but you could argue that a guy like Harrison is the guy he's least suited to perform well against because of being a speed rusher.

Whitworth had a rough first half against GB, but was rock solid in the 2nd half. I can't comment on the Browns game because I forgot to record it, so I can't rewatch it. But he's been playing LG for most of his NFL career. It's a little much to expect him to step into the role and shut down some of the league's best pass rushers.

Give him time. He's better than Collins though. That much is clear just from watching the games.

I have to Disagree and don't get the Collin Love fest when he has been the weakest link on our Oline Worst Run Blocker and one of the worst passblockers but hey let's put him in at left tackle...I just don't see Collins-Whitworth being a upgrade over Whitworth-Mathis and I look forward to seeing what Whit-Mathis-Cook-Williams-Smith can do for the running game...

Based on what? I doubt I need to remind you that he allowed number one overall pick Carson Palmer to sit his entire rookie season.

Based on what? I doubt I need to remind you that he allowed number one overall pick Carson Palmer to sit his entire rookie season.

As Shula said, an o-linemen is far different than a quarterback.

More so if high payed 1st round tackle is a upgrade over the struggling player...

More so if high payed 1st round tackle is a upgrade over the struggling player...

I agree Smith will see the field. I'm just saying the reasoning won't be his high pay.

I agree Smith will see the field. I'm just saying the reasoning won't be his high pay.

Oh no doubt man it's fact it's upgrading the team hence why we drafted the Big Guy. ^_^

This makes me laugh, because the other day on NFL live they were saying that Whit was one of the best tackles in this league right now!!!!!!

Bengals.com had the following update on Andre today:

Smith looked good jogging, skipping and doing agility drills Thursday. Not to mention steamrolling Oliver back a couple of years in a drive-blocking drill. The sense on his return is still post-Nov. 1 bye with the Nov. 15 game at Pittsburgh a target as the first game of the second half of the season

work him in slow, I like their approach. Thing with him is once he's healthy he can open holes consistently and their isnt anything a defense can do about it, watching those Alabama games, Ive seen at least 4 of them he was dominant in the run game, we need that bigtime, thats why he was the no.1 tackle most of the year, so work him in slowly and be rewarded in the second half.

I found a predraft magazine I had from earlier in the year and went to find what was said about Andre Smith.

Since I can't copy and paste, I'll simply type it all out. At the time of the magazines release, they had him as the #2 OT.

RUN BLOCKING

This is Smith's specialty. Possessing a massive frame, incredible strength and surprising agility to get to the second level, and he has everything scouts are looking for physically in a run blocker. Does tire and get fundamentally lazy.

PASS BLOCKING

Massive man with the deep kick step and long arms to keep defenders at bay. Allowed only one sack in 2008. Can absorb the bull rush. Recognizes and reacts well to the surprise blitzes. If presented with two rushers, typically chooses and neutralizes his correct assignment.

INITIAL QUICKNESS

Flashes rare initial quickness for such a large man, especially on down blocks. Can be a bit inconsistent in this area, but is so wide and has such a deep kick that he is able to protect the edge even when beaten off the snap.

PULLING / TRAPPING

Surprisingly quick getting to the second level as a run blocker or on screens. Not asked to do a lot of pulling in the Alabama offense, but shows surprising agility and balance for a player of his size when in space.

DOWNFIELD

Good effort downfield. Will track the ball and looks to make blocks at the second level. Aggressive against back side pursuit and will pancake unsuspecting defenders.

INTANGIBLES

Heavier than scouts would like and can get fundamentally lazy, prompting worries that he may lose some of his initiative once his NFL paychecks start. Suspended for the Sugar Bowl due to improper dealings with an agent.

IN OUR VIEW

Smith started every game of his career and is a massive presence with rare athleticism. A dominant run blocker and surprisingly agile pass protector. He is among the elite talents in the draft.

The magazine was Lindy's if anyone was curious. The #1 rated OT ?? Eugene Monroe. They had players rated at a max rating of 9.0 and Monroe was a an 8.5. Smith ?? 8.4. In looking at the rest of the ratings for all positions in the draft, the only other players they had ranked higher than Monroe's 8.5 and Smith's 8.4 were Michael Crabtree, Aaron Curry, and Michael Jenkins (all three were at 8.6).

I think the evaluation they gave was pretty fair and I for one am really looking forward to what he can bring to this offensive line.

Thanks for posting that, Army.

It is frustrating to me to read that, and imagine what we could have right now if this kid had gotten into camp on time.

It is a given that some of these kids are naive. Andre certainly was. But to see Alvin Keels appear to be just as naive, and to have that naivete cost this kid money (if reports that the Bengals dropped their offer as time passed are true), and cost this team his services in most of the first year, is beyond frustrating. It makes me mad.

Some of this goes for the receiver out in San Francisco as well. He held out and lost a good part of his first year for nothing.

These teams know what they drafted. There is a general amount of money everyone understands they are going to make. To see Keels show up on that episode of hard knocks at PBS in like a thousand dollar suit, ready to get down to the business of somehow making the Bengals overpay for this kid was funny at the time.

Seriously, the Bengals knew exactly what they had drafted, and knew exactly how much the low end of a reasonable offer was.

So what was Alvin Keels doing? Did he have something in his briefcase he was going to show the Bengals that would reveal to them that his player could do a bunch of stuff they didn't know about? Was he going to show them something about Smith that they didn't know, that would somehow make him more valuable? No.

Keels showed up to those negotiations with exactly nothing, beyond a misguided belief that a refusal to sign would somehow create an increase in the offer. If he thought arriving at PBS in the backseat of that Towncar would cause an NFL team to recognize what a heavyweight they were dealing with, and thus up the offer, then he is just too green to be competently representing these kids.

He might have wished he was dealing with Al Davis, but to do the best job for his client would be to recognize all the realities of the situation and go from there.

/rant over/

Ravens suck.

You'd consider putting Collins at LT "to see how he does"? Why? Just curious? To disrupt the progress of the OL in the midst of the season? They've been a pleasant surprise, and they are getting better as a unit. Whitworth has been solid at LT, and shutting out Dumervil speaks well of his ability to play the position. He may not be Pro bowl calibre yet, but he's closer than Collins could even hope to be at this point. Other than that, you're right on the money-now that the Bengals are tied for 1st in the division it is the perfect time to reconstruct the O-line. Pure genius.