A quiet confidence

cincyhokie

Watching the Bengals overcome the opening day loss and then steadily beat the Packers DESPITE some crucial mistakes...gives me the sense that something interesting is going to happen this Sunday.

Notable observations (add any that I missed):

-Players speaking of a "changed lockeroom". This was before the GB game.

-No signs of panic during game against Packers. Palmer has a very very short memory and made some huge plays.

-This team seems to actually look like they have learned from prior seasons wins and losses.

-No big hype or comments this week from the players concerning the Steelers game.

-Defense playing as a unit for the first time since 1988. Seriously. They look like a unit of 11 playing together, not 11 guys individually playing.

-The O-line controlled the line of scrimmage in a big game.

As doubtful and pessimistic as I was last week, I think they have a real shot to win. The best part is they don't have to! I feel like the players will not be playing nervous, excited, or scared this week. This isn't a must win game. They're going to play a hard physical game and whether they win or lose, the Steelers are going to realize this is a 3 team AFCN race.

I'm heading to Fountain Square for the game Sunday. There's going to be a few hundred (maybe thousand?)fans having a good time watching the game on a big screen outside. I always told myself that I needed to be downtown if the Bengals or Reds won a huge game. This is it! Let's get it done and send those Steeler fans out of OUR town...pissed off!

What's one of their mottos this year? "Quiet Storm"? It's coming.

They still have a lot to clean up, especially on offense. But they are getting there.

I suspect we have seen the biggest jump on offense that we will see this year. Not that they won't improve on last weekend's game, but I expect the gains to be much more incremental. I will say the O seems roughly a game ahead of where I thought they'd be. The big key (and no great insight here) will be to eliminate the turnovers. Take away Palmer's 2 picks Sunday and that game is an epic blowout.

Stupid o-line penalties also must stop.

Defensively, the pressure has been much, much, much better than last year -- I think I read the Bengals currently lead the league in sacks, for cripes sake -- but the secondary has benefited from a good number of drops between the GB and Denver games. I'm not expecting that to continue into this weekend.

I don't know if I feel "confident" of a win, but this game has moved from the "L" column in my book to "toss-up." And if you had told me I would be writing that 3 weeks ago I would have laughed in your face.

Wh-freakin'-dey.

They still have a lot to clean up, especially on offense. But they are getting there.

I suspect we have seen the biggest jump on offense that we will see this year. Not that they won't improve on last weekend's game, but I expect the gains to be much more incremental. I will say the O seems roughly a game ahead of where I thought they'd be. The big key (and no great insight here) will be to eliminate the turnovers. Take away Palmer's 2 picks Sunday and that game is an epic blowout.

Stupid o-line penalties also must stop.

Defensively, the pressure has been much, much, much better than last year -- I think I read the Bengals currently lead the league in sacks, for cripes sake -- but the secondary has benefited from a good number of drops between the GB and Denver games. I'm not expecting that to continue into this weekend.

I don't know if I feel "confident" of a win, but this game has moved from the "L" column in my book to "toss-up." And if you had told me I would be writing that 3 weeks ago I would have laughed in your face.

Wh-freakin'-dey.

Agreed. Alot of work to be done. The difference with this Steelers game is that it looks like this team knows how to fight. In the past they seemed to get down and let the Steelers walk all over them. Granted this season is only 2 games old.

Will they win? I don't know. However, I am confident this game won't be a blowout.

As Palmer continues to progress closer to his old self, his timing with Coles will improve congruently. I expect Coles to really start making an impact sooner than later, and this offense will be much better off for it. Another reliable third down option and field stretcher is just what Palmer needs to get out of his funk.

By the way, anyone remember who that poster was the last few years that would give us media updates from Pittburgh? Good informative threads. All I can remember is that he had a 1988 "Crush em in the Jungle" Orange Crush can as his avatar.

That was duus. He hasn't been around for a while...:(

If you think about it, the first two games of the season were like Carson's preseason games in regards to getting in there, just against a better opponent than what he would have seen in those two preseason games. That being said, this week would be like the season opener for Carson, who would be expected to be ready to run the offense with little to no problem.

Here's to hoping this is how it plays out and he shreds the Steeler defense for a big game. If that actually happens and you couple it with this defense, this team could be very good, very fast. Kill most of the penalties and there will be a lot less to complain about as well...

One more factor to consider: I did some checking and as far as I can tell, this is about as big-time as it's going to get unless they get some "flex" games late. 20+ states & CBS' first team in the booth. They lay an egg, it will be in front of lots of eyeballs.

I think for the first time they don't care. This team has laid an egg before and the rest of the country expects them to do so. What do they have to lose?

I think the biggest thing is the defense needs to pressure Ben, either by blitzin or by the front 4. If i was Zim i would be bringin the bliz early and often when Ben has time he is awsome at finding his wideouts, but under heavy pressure he is throwing high,low or interceptions. They must keep him in the pocket otherwise he will make his throws all day.

Offense they cannot turn the ball over, make stupid penalties, all year long so far the Bengals have been there own worst enemy. Almsot every drive they seem to shoot themselves in the foot with something stupid, especially in the Denver game which they should of had more points. So if they can stop all of this, and keep the pressure on Ben it will help them big time.

I agree with Hoosier we give the Defense alot of credit which we should, but there have been alot of drops by the recievers for Greenbay and Denver, and i dont see Pitt doing this. I still dont think the Defense is there just yet, but each week they are improving and i hope by the end of the year they will be a force and teams will have to look out for the Bengals D!

One more factor to consider: I did some checking and as far as I can tell, this is about as big-time as it's going to get unless they get some "flex" games late. 20+ states & CBS' first team in the booth. They lay an egg, it will be in front of lots of eyeballs.

You just made my day, Hoosier.

One man at his computer in Nashville is rejoicing while his wife looks on in concern thinking that last screw may have finally come loose.

Oakland vs Denver Yay west coast...I'm glad I have NFL ticket.

I'm stuck with Miami and San Diego. :(

Hokie wrote:

-No big hype or comments this week from the players concerning the Steelers game.

Man, full agreement here. I like the way they are playing this so far. Just another game on the schedule. Of course it is a huge game, but they don't need to make it more than it is. In response to the thread title, yeah, I am sensing that from this group as well. Seems like they have some real pros in place all over the team now. I was real impressed with Kyle Cook's hour on bengals sportline on WLW Monday night. That is EXACTLY the kind of guy you want anchoring a line. Him, Whit, Carson, Dhani Jones, Domato, Roy Williams, Chris Crocker, Antwan Odom. Lot of impressive vets and youngsters with a good approach to the game all over the place on this team right now. Frankly, I don't think its a coincidence that CJ has been more centered. I don't think that lockerroom will put up with his usual shenanigans. Team is what matters.

They may not win this week, but if they don't, it won't be because the moment was too big for them. I think they are past that.

By the way, anyone remember who that poster was the last few years that would give us media updates from Pittburgh? Good informative threads. All I can remember is that he had a 1988 "Crush em in the Jungle" Orange Crush can as his avatar.

That was duus. He hasn't been around for a while... :(

I hope he's doing alright and living in Pittsburgh hasn't gotten to him.

That was duus. He hasn't been around for a while... sad.gif

No kidding. If he's in Pittsburgh somewhere wearing yellow and black, then one of us should really go out there and put him out of his misery ala One Flew Over the Cuchkoo's Nest.

If I remember correctly, though, he left after getting fed up with all the troll types lurking around at the time...he usually couldn't resist showing back up during Steeler week, though.

They may not win this week, but if they don't, it won't be because the moment was too big for them.

Let's hope the Bengals players are fully aware of just how big the moment really is. Because IMHO it's not the world champions paying a visit. Rather, it's the Steelers, and all other concerns seem trivial save for this. Their bully act has to end now.

That was duus. He hasn't been around for a while... sad.gif

No kidding. If he's in Pittsburgh somewhere wearing yellow and black, then one of us should really go out there and put him out of his misery ala One Flew Over the Cuchkoo's Nest.

If I remember correctly, though, he left after getting fed up with all the troll types lurking around at the time...he usually couldn't resist showing back up during Steeler week, though.

how about we all PM him and nudge him for an appearance?

They may not win this week, but if they don't, it won't be because the moment was too big for them.

Let's hope the Bengals players are fully aware of just how big the moment really is. Because IMHO it's not the world champions paying a visit. Rather, it's the Steelers, and all other concerns seem trivial save for this. Their bully act has to end now.

I would guess they know, I just don't want them to shrink from it. They have in the past. I don't think this team will.

I would guess they know, I just don't want them to shrink from it. They have in the past. I don't think this team will.

I agree completely. I don't think the "weight" of this game is going to phase this team. In the past this team has tried to play "perfect" and when something has not gone right they have shriveled.

These 3 plays could be the biggest of the year in hindsight:

1. Stokely's tipped TD catch against Denver

2. Carson's first INT to Woodson against GB resulting in a go ahead TD

3. Carson's second INT to Woodson against GB resulting in a go ahead TD

Last week this team said f**k off to the past and letting mistakes "Bengalize" them. It's called focus and a team concept. It looks like they have it.