Bernard Scott

TJJackson

With Watson out, Bernard's chances of earning the #3 RB spot have at least doubled

I guess it also depends on how much they put to the experience of Dorsey and if they think he can hold up health wise.

Once the preseason starts up and we get to see the two of them running, we will have a better answer.

Can Dorsey still go to the practice squad or has he been around to long now ?? Scott won't last there long if he goes to the PS.

With Watson out, Bernard's chances of earning the #3 RB spot have at least doubled

I guess it also depends on how much they put to the experience of Dorsey and if they think he can hold up health wise.

Once the preseason starts up and we get to see the two of them running, we will have a better answer.

Can Dorsey still go to the practice squad or has he been around to long now ?? Scott won't last there long if he goes to the PS.

I agree. Scott has gotten too much hype. He'd be snagged off the PS pretty quickly.

As far as Scott beating out Dorsey. Maybe not outright. We are always impressed with Dorsey every preseason... but he's fragile and lacks real upside like Scott has. I don't see Dorsey making this team unless they can put Simone on IR or PUP.

Dorsey is fragile from what we've seen, so I agree with that indeed.

Funny part would be if in fact Dorsey made the team and Scott was placed on the PS, only to be picked up by another team and have them praised for getting a pickup like Scott when the Bengals were blazed for taking yet another criminal element. Such is life.

I'm still rooting for Scott though. If for no other reason, then TJ !!! No seriously, I think he will do well...

I'd personally rather have a rookie with no injury history than a frequently injured but somewhat more experienced player, all else being equal

At least the rookie has a chance to contribute.

The fragility is the ONLY thing keeping me from liking Dorsey, but it's a huge problem.

Durability is to me perhaps the most important thing a player can bring to the table. If you are injured, you are less than useless to the team under the current CBA.....you are actually a detriment.

I'd personally rather have a rookie with no injury history than a frequently injured but somewhat more experienced player, all else being equal

At least the rookie has a chance to contribute.

The fragility is the ONLY thing keeping me from liking Dorsey, but it's a huge problem.

Durability is to me perhaps the most important thing a player can bring to the table. If you are injured, you are less than useless to the team under the current CBA.....you are actually a detriment.

Better get rid of Palmer then!

:)

I don't think Scott beats out Dorsey and Joseph at this point, unless Scott lights it up in preseason games, or Dorsey or Joseph get hurt.

I think Scott could pass through to the PS, if he doesn't do enough in preseason. I'm sure he'll get plenty of carries.

well, while your humor is taken fair and square, do keep in mind that while Palmer was injured

1) we still had to pay his salary

2) we got no production (I know, duh)

3) we still ate salary cap dollars as if he was not injured

4) and we had to pay another fellow in his spot (yet more dollars)

and etc

In other words, he was a detriment to his team while injured. Not targeting him here, rather this is true for ANY injured player -- regardless of whether they want to be a detriment or not.

I don't think Scott beats out Dorsey and Joseph at this point, unless Scott lights it up in preseason games, or Dorsey or Joseph get hurt.

typical nonsense

Yeah because my statement is just so irrational, even though it reflects the depth chart. :rolleyes:

Do you have anything of substance to say? Why bother?

typical nonsense

Yeah because my statement is just so irrational, even though it reflects the depth chart. :rolleyes:

The only Joseph on the roster is Jonathan. Why would Scott have to beat him out? Also, Dorsey has a history of getting injured plus Scott seams to have more upside. I just don't see Dorsey making the teams this year. James Johnson goes to the PS, I think.

well, while your humor is taken fair and square, do keep in mind that while Palmer was injured

and etc

In other words, he was a detriment to his team while injured. Not targeting him here, rather this is true for ANY injured player -- regardless of whether they want to be a detriment or not.

Well all I can say is that I have little faith in a RB the size of a small NFL CB making it in the NFL these days, ecspecially in this division. You can bring up Warrick Dunn, who played at a Div I powerhouse in college at least, but he seems to be the wide exception to the rule.

Dorsey is a proven commodity and if all you are depending on is for him to have a relatively injury free year, I go with his ability and experience, and keep Scott (or Johnson) in the wings if he goes down. It's a good situation to be in ultimately either way. Fast little RB's aren't that hard to find.

and etc

Well all I can say is that I have little faith in a RB the size of a small NFL CB making it in the NFL these days, ecspecially in this division. You can bring up Warrick Dunn, who played at a Div I powerhouse in college at least, but he seems to be the wide exception to the rule.

Dorsey is a proven commodity and if all you are depending on is for him to have a relatively injury free year, I go with his ability and experience, and keep Scott (or Joseph) in the wings if he goes down. It's a good situation to be in ultimately either way. Fast little RB's aren't that hard to find.

Dorsey's in inch taller and 10lbs heavier than Scott, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Dorsey has proven two things in his career so far:

1) When healthy, he is a playmaker.

2) He's hardly ever healthy.

They're better off taking a chance with Scott. If they release Dorsey and Scott doesn't work out, I'm sure Dorsey will still be there. I doubt the same could be said of Scott.

typical nonsense

The only Joseph on the roster is Jonathan. Why would Scott have to beat him out? Also, Dorsey has a history of getting injured plus Scott seams to have more upside. I just don't see Dorsey making the teams this year. James Johnson goes to the PS, I think.

Fair enough - and yes I meant James "Johnson" not Joseph.

I still think Scott has to show a lot to avoid the PS, I have serious doubts he's ready to contribute at the NFL level. As I said it will come down to how he does in preseason games regardless, just my prediction of things as they stand now.

and etc

Dorsey is a proven commodity and if all you are depending on is for him to have a relatively injury free year, I go with his ability and experience, and keep Scott (or Joseph) in the wings if he goes down. It's a good situation to be in ultimately either way. Fast little RB's aren't that hard to find.

Dorsey's in inch taller and 10lbs heavier than Scott, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Dorsey has proven two things in his career so far:

They're better off taking a chance with Scott. If they release Dorsey and Scott doesn't work out, I'm sure Dorsey will still be there. I doubt the same could be said of Scott.

10 pounds and an inch in height is 10 pounds more and an inch of height, he's bigger, period. For a RB ecspecially, that's a difference.

Dorsey's hamstring injury last year wasn't due to contact, he played in 12 games or more the two seasons prior to that...and averaged over 8 yards a carry in '07.

Dorsey has also proved he can play ST's (and do it well).

I just can't see the Bengals' cutting Dorsey in favor of Scott if healthy, that would be stupid.

Maybe Scott beats out Johnson, but at this point in time, he hasn't yet. Again the preseason will obviously be the ticket for Scott, and right now he's got an uphill battle to make the roster IMO. If he goes off in preseason I won't be complaining, but that's an unknown.

Dorsey's in inch taller and 10lbs heavier than Scott

brian westbrook-5'10 203

d'angelo Williams-5'9 213

maurice jones-drew-5'7 205

steve slaton-5'9 210

thomas jones-5'10 210

those are some pretty good backs that have similar measurements. so i agree with you mr. mexico, the knock on scott being too small doesn't hold much water.

I don't think Scott will have a hard time avoiding the practice roster at all, or at least not for very long because as soon as we put him on it, another team is going to snatch him off of it. In other words, it will be a short lived time on the PS for him as the gaining team will have to add him to the active roster if I'm not mistaken.

and etc

10 pounds and an inch in height is 10 pounds more and an inch of height, he's bigger, period. For a RB ecspecially, that's a difference.

Dorsey's hamstring injury last year wasn't due to contact, he played in 12 games or more the two seasons prior to that...and averaged over 8 yards a carry in '07.

Dorsey has also proved he can play ST's (and do it well).

I just can't see the Bengals' cutting Dorsey in favor of Scott if healthy, that would be stupid.

Maybe Scott beats out Johnson, but at this point in time, he hasn't yet. Again the preseason will obviously be the ticket for Scott, and right now he's got an uphill battle to make the roster IMO. If he goes off in preseason I won't be complaining, but that's an unknown.

10lbs is hardly anything to get excited about. I've yet to see Scott play in practice or anything, but I've seen his highlights from college. His speed and ability to make people miss is better than Dorsey's. Dorsey's fast, but so is Scott and Scott's got better vision and agility. I'm willing to wait and let the preseason decide, but I still think that Scott makes it over Dorsey.

I don't think Scott will have a hard time avoiding the practice roster at all, or at least not for very long because as soon as we put him on it, another team is going to snatch him off of it. In other words, it will be a short lived time on the PS for him as the gaining team will have to add him to the active roster if I'm not mistaken.

Correct.