O-Line promises to step up their game

BengalszoneBilly

I don't see how this can happen with Levi still getting beaten like a red headed step child!

Carson Palmer said he's tough enough to take the beating he's taken so far this season; Palmer's offensive linemen don't want to find out how tough their QB is.

By C. Trent Rosecrans

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Carson Palmer's preseason ended with a broken, bloodied nose in the third exhibition game. In Sunday's loss to the Giants, he suffered another bloodied nose after one of the six sacks given up by the Bengals.

If Palmer didn't last the preseason, can he survive the rest of the season?

"I think so," Palmer said. "I think I'm built for that. Having some extra cushion, being 245 pounds, it gives me a little extra cushion for when those big guys are laying on you. But in no way do I want to get sacked six times. But I really don't think that will happen again."

Last season Palmer was sacked a franchise record-low of 17 times. Through three games, Palmer has been sacked nine times -- not the most in the league, but still not good. The Bengals rank 24th in the NFL in sacks per pass play.

"It's not fair for Carson to have given up nine sacks," center Eric Ghiaciuc said. "We're not happy with it at all. But this offense is coming together and we're playing better, as we do that, the sack numbers are going to go down. The sack number is going to change, I promise you that."

Throughout the preseason, Palmer got hit repeatedly, but over and over said things were changing. He continued to get hit in the first two games of the season, but was sacked only three times.

That was different on Sunday. Palmer was sacked by Fred Robbins on the Bengals' first play from scrimmage. After a completion and a penalty, Palmer was sacked again. He was sacked twice more in the first half, including the team's final offensive snap of the half, a third-and-3 from the Giants' four.

"In previous years we never gave up this number of sacks. As much as you say we played better (against New York), it has an effect on the outcome of the game," guard Bobbie Williams said. "We've got to cut this number down. We need to go where we don't give up none. It can be done. I've made a personal goal to not give up any, and I think about that when I'm out there. My man isn't going to get there."

This week's opponent, the Browns, haven't exactly been eating up opposing quarterbacks, recording three sacks in their first three games, none in the season-opening loss to the Cowboys, one last week at Baltimore.

The Browns' biggest off-season acquisition, defensive tackle Shaun Rogers had a sack in the second-week loss to the Steelers. The Browns had two sacks against the Steelers, but that paled in comparison to the nine recorded sacks of Steeler quarterbacks by the Eagles last Sunday.

"They're big, explosive guys, so they're very similar to what we've faced the first three weeks of the year as well," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said of the Browns' defensive front.

In the first week, Ravens nose tackle James Bannan recorded one of the team's two sacks of Palmer, in week two defensive ends Javon Kearse and Kyle Vanden Bosch combined for the only sack of Palmer and last week five of the six sacks came from the front four.

"I have a feeling that's not going to happen regardless of what defenses throw out at us," Williams said. "That was… weird."

When it comes down to it, nine sacks is way too many, the offensive linemen said.

Palmer, though, said it wasn't all on the five men up front.

"With the guys we have up front and the corrections we've already made, and some of the things we've done this year, some of that will take away some of the confusion we've had. And it's just as much on me as it is anybody else," Palmer said. "I need to get rid of the ball in certain situations and do a better job of that, taking away some of the hits from myself."

That willingness to take the blame himself is one of the things Williams said endears Palmer to his linemen.

"He's the best guy to play his position, and for me to have the opportunity to block for him is an honor," Williams said. "He's giving, he's understanding, he's relentless. He gets up with a busted nose and you want to wipe it for him. That's my guy. You want to do everything you can for him. We have to raise our level up, because if you give him the time, he'll pick anybody apart."

So far, it seems keeping him on his feet is enough of a challenge.

O-line:

"Seriously, we're ready to step it up. Sure, it has already been three real weeks, and all those fake weeks in the pre-season, but we have decided to go ahead and take this thing for reals now. Apparently our giving a s**t matters. Who knew?"

O-line:

"Seriously, we're ready to step it up. Sure, it has already been three real weeks, and all those fake weeks in the pre-season, but we have decided to go ahead and take this thing for reals now. Apparently our giving a s**t matters. Who knew?"

They've played like crap for 7 straight games, what will make the 8th any different? Or the 16th? Carson is manning up but sooner or later there will be a tackle he can't walk away from.

Because they are ready to step up their game. It's all up there in that article.

i know, great news!

now chad just needs to say to the media: "i promise to step up my game" and the defense needs to say: "we're gonna start playing better" and we'll be playoff-bound baby!

this couldn't have worked out any better. i thought our season was done for!

It seems like Williams is trying to step up and lead this unit. He's like the only lineman quoted anymore. Hopefully he can turn this unit around, and maybe light a fire under Levi's and Girlchick's asses.

In fairness, Guychick was quoted too. Levi, Andrews, and Whitworth weren't.

Don't know what to make of it - the reporter might have happened to just run into those two guys - but I'd sure like to hear from Levi "the revolving door" Jones.

And I promised not to come in the woman next doors mouth.

the cheques in the post!

It seems like Williams is trying to step up and lead this unit. He's like the only lineman quoted anymore. Hopefully he can turn this unit around, and maybe light a fire under Levi's and Girlchick's asses.

In fairness, Guychick was quoted too. Levi, Andrews, and Whitworth weren't.

Don't know what to make of it - the reporter might have happened to just run into those two guys - but I'd sure like to hear from Levi "the revolving door" Jones.

I know Girlchick was quoted. But here lately, Williams has been doing most of the talking.