2 years ago we were going crazy! With our 4-0 Preseason

walzav29

The Bengals ended up 8-8. In 2005 the Bengals were 2-2 and ended up 11-5. We have to realize that the preseason is totally meaningless. When you look as bad as Cincy has it's hard to say that, but they have had alot of guys out. Will they come back? Who knows, but I have a hard time buying that this O-line is that bad.

It's just preseason.

The Bengals ended up 8-8. In 2005 the Bengals were 2-2 and ended up 11-5. We have to realize that the preseason is totally meaningless. When you look as bad as Cincy has it's hard to say that, but they have had alot of guys out. Will they come back? Who knows, but I have a hard time buying that this O-line is that bad.

It's just preseason.

No no, you got it wrong.

The score and the wins / losses in preseason are meaningless.

How your starters look, how ever, is not...

Chad getting injured the way he did is certainly not.

Our OLine looking as bad as it has looked in 4-5yrs...

That works the other way too..

Our D looks better.. is that meaningless?

Simpson, Rivers, Sims and Shirley have shown great potential.. meaningless?

Yeah.

Oh and hello everyone, this is my first post here. :)

It's just preseason.

I must admit, I have an issue with this ' it's just preseason!' :angry:

These 4 games should see the proper team togther as a team, and learning to play with each other again in a competetive match environment. They are not a testing ground for new formations. They are not a try-out phase for new players. They are not something to be taken lightly, and should be the warm-up games every team needs before Game 1 of the season. Finding out about who-plays-best-where and how-should-we-react-if-the-other-team-does-this is something for the training ground. That is what the off-season camps are for...or should be. If the team is not ready and playing at 100% by the end of the games, then the first few games of the season almost become the pre-season games!! We are not ready or playing consistantly as a team...with little understanding of what to do and how to do it. This is what worries me most about our O-line. They sound like they never have played together before!!! If we're expecting some magic wand to come waving at Game 1, then I think we are deluding ourselves.

Some teams can get away with playing a weakened squad during pre-season. Patriots / Cowboys / Colts. They all have great depth within the team, and always produce it when it matters. They can go 0-4 for pre-season and still win Superbowls.

Bengals do not and cannot.

We should be getting our strongest team together, and play...play...play. TOGETHER!! This will make us gel as a team and put us a good, confident mood come Game 1. If you want the best example of this within team sport, go look at the Brazil soccer team. They play all their friendlies together as a team that doesn't change and that has practised together. They constantly play their strongest team in every game - not to win 10-0 but to gel as a team and get comfortable with each other. The result? More wins in the World Cup than just about any other soccer team!

I really don't want to see any more swapping around or only playing one half of the game.

Put out our strongest team consistantly and play together to win EVERY game.

And the injuries? I must admit, I've never seen so many pulled this and torn thats!! It just points to bad conditioning which itself points to bad training routines. We need to get more durable. We need to be stronger. We need to be fitter.

Go look at English rugby! These guys have no padding and are subjected to some pretty brutal tackling. Different game, I know...but you don't see them being carried off the field because they've just stubbed their toe!!!!

It's just preseason.

No no, you got it wrong.

Yeah.

Welcome. Great post out of the gate: I totally agree. The style of play tends to be indicative of how the regular season will turn out. I've seen very little reason to be dismissive of how they've played during the preseason. I just don't know how to get optimistic about how this team will play come September.

There is no reason for any optimism with what we've seen and what we've dealt with since Mike Brown has taken over. What options do we have? We're going to watch anyway. We're trapped. If we're still here after the 90's, then we're never leaving. At the very least the Bengals have Carson Palmer. That gives us a little hope.

There is no reason for any optimism with what we've seen and what we've dealt with since Mike Brown has taken over. What options do we have? We're going to watch anyway. We're trapped. If we're still after the 90's, then we're never leaving. At the very least the Bengals have Carson Palmer. That gives us a little hope.

Agreed, Mike Brown will never permit this franchise to progress into a consistent winner. My point was that three yrs ago there was plenty of evidence to show that this ship had turned. Marvin Lewis (or Mike Brown) had us all believing that he was the one who was calling the operational shots. That was before the character issues had reared its ugly head, Marvin hadn't had a losing season, and this was a young team that was progressing and looked like it was on the upswing. To tie it all together, you could blow off preseason because the Bengals gave you reason to believe that they could get it done when it mattered.

Since then, everything is the exact opposite. Bad character, as much as injuries, has taken its toll, Marvin obviously hasn't had a winning season, and this team has consistently underachieved each of the last three yrs. Just like taking a gamble on a high-risk character player, the Bengals don't have the luxury of playing as bad in the preseason as they have this year and getting people to believe that good things can happen despite what we've seen the previous three games.

Go look at English rugby! These guys have no padding and are subjected to some pretty brutal tackling. Different game, I know...but you don't see them being carried off the field because they've just stubbed their toe!!!!

Thats an interesting point...

While rugby is played at a far slower pace, the physicality is definitely there.

Where Football consists of fast 5-10sec sprints, rugby is more like a marathon.

The hitting in Football happens more at full speed, in rugby hitting almost always wrapped and with less of an impact.

But still the rugby players in Australia, England and New Zealand are insanely durable and tough.

Great athletes too.

But the question is valid. How on earth do these guys stay healthy for the amount of games they play,

for example in the Guinnes Premiership they play 22 rounds + playoffs.

In addition to this the teams play in other tournaments while the season is away + some national competitions as well.

Crazy stuff...

They are not something to be taken lightly, and should be the warm-up games every team needs before Game 1 of the season.

Teams don't need pre-season games. College teams, which at the big football schools are pretty much the NFL minor league, will play their first game this Thursday, August 30th, or Saturday, Aug. 31. They started practice August 4th. The Bengals, meanwhile, started camp July 28th, and will play their first game Sunday, Sept. 7.

What it boils down to is the NFL teams, when compared to their minor league counterparts, practice over two weeks longer, and play four extra full contact (but meaningless) games before the season starts. It's stupid.

They don't need any preseason games. The next CBA will stretch the season to probably 18 games, and cut the preseason games to two.

They should also do away with training camp. The days of players falling off a barstool in August and going to camp to get in shape are over. They train year round, and with mini camps, O.T.A.s, etc, they pretty much practice year round as well. They should just start normal practices at their own facility some time in August. Going to a remote location and enduring two-a-days is from a bygone era.

But the question is valid. How on earth do these guys stay healthy for the amount of games they play,

I think it is just the nature of the collisions in the NFL. Higher speed with helmets and shoulder pads. Helmets, in particular, allow players to throw themselves into collisions at much higher speeds. I'm not talking about hitting with their heads. I'm talking about just a huge hit facilitated by a guy being able to go in knowing that even though he's leading with his shoulder, his head and face will be protected during the collateral/incidental contact they will sustain.

I think it is just the nature of the collisions in the NFL. Higher speed with helmets and shoulder pads. Helmets, in particular, allow players to throw themselves into collisions at much higher speeds. I'm not talking about hitting with their heads. I'm talking about just a huge hit facilitated by a guy being able to go in knowing that even though he's leading with his shoulder, his head and face will be protected during the collateral/incidental contact they will sustain.

Although I agree with you to some extent, I also agree with the other posters about muscle pulls and tears. Either these guys aren't conditioning properly or they are suffering the effects of steroid use.

I know very little about rugby but I thought the players are constantly moving during the game. The players aren't stationary then forced to break into a sprint. Look at Tyson Gay and his hammy problem. He was is tip top shape and injured his hammy. Was that becaues of roids or poor conditioning? The body is only built to carry so much weight/muscle. When you add weight lifting and building more muscle you are increasing the stress especially on your legs. I think that along with the start stop aspect of football is why you see a lot of muscle pulls.

As for the preseason I don't really put much into it. I would have liked to see TJ and Chad get a few more reps with Carson but that will happen in practice now. The last thing you want is a key player to go down. Also what motivation do 40 players have during the preseason? They aren't getting paid and are risking a football career playing with guys just trying to make the 53 man roster or the practice squad. Would you want TJ going across the middle with a guy like Corey Lynch trying to hit him? TJ is a valuable piece and Lynch is trying to make a team. Who has more incentive to make the play?

The body is only built to carry so much weight/muscle. When you add weight lifting and building more muscle you are increasing the stress especially on your legs.

I know an oldtimer in my town who has been telling me this for years. He played football, basketball, and baseball back in the early 50s. Then he raised three boys who played in the 60s and 70s. He claims that before weight lifting became common there were a lot fewer injuries. Same reasoning - the bodies infrastructure - skeltal, ligaments, cartilidge, etc. - was only made to carry a particular amount of mass. Load that infrastructure up with a bunch of additional muscle mass, and put the extra stress that the mass allows you to exert with increased speed, and you have not just impact injuries, but the kinds that occurr when a guy is running untouched and just tears something.

It's just preseason.

No no, you got it wrong.

Yeah.

First post? And you hit the nail on the head!?! Kudos and welcome! :bengal:

The Force is strong is in this one! :starwars:

Soon we shall prepare him to climb to a grassy nole and fire the shot that finally rids us of Mike Brown!!

SOON !!!!!!!!!!

Alright...in response to your smart alec-y little comment about the Newbie doing in Mike Brown, I only got one question:

When?

No, really, when?

Tomorrow?

Soon?

:rolleyes:

The Force is strong is in this one! :starwars:

Soon we shall prepare him to climb to a grassy nole and fire the shot that finally rids us of Mike Brown!!

SOON !!!!!!!!!!

Alright...in response to your smart alec-y little comment about the Newbie doing in Mike Brown, I only got one question:

When?

No, really, when?

Tomorrow?

Soon?

:rolleyes:

Well... I guess I could try, but I'm afraid there is no try.. :(

I really take nothing seriously in the Pre-season at all beyond injuries. It's terribly easy for people to assume that poor performance in exhibition games will translate into poor performance in regular season games, but it just doesn't work that way. It never has. Once the coordinators open up the playbook and actually employ real gameplans, and once the starting unit is closer to being on the field in full (there's little reason to rush that right now), I'll be interested in what is happening on the field.

Thanks for the Edit Billy..... Chrishcovga in HD....LOL

Chris, you and I go way back here. I always enjoy reading your posts. It always stirs something in me.

Hi, I'm Chrishcovga, Damn Glad To Meet Ya !!!! - I should say the same thing about your posts as well !! The intelligent posts are always appreciated as well as the very much needed sarcasm.

But most importantly... The Boobs !!!! How can we as MEN, not have Football, FOOD, Beer, and BOOBS !!!!!

- Not to be a Tear Jerker moment, but this forum has been great for the 4 + years that I've been here. I had a great time doing the draft in '04 and '05. - I semi-retired because I thought we really hit home runs in that '05 draft. We did, just O'Dell cares more about booze and weed than football. Henry has all the talent in the world and the maturity of my 4 year old daughter. Pollack, well... The kid had talent.... Too bad his neck wasn't as strong as his passion to play the game.

Here's To another 4 + Years BOOBIEMEISTER !! :cheers:

I have to agree. I mean if you want to look outside of Cincy, the Pats went 0-4, I wouldnt exactly bet against them in most games this season. For the Browns, when we were winning 3 games a season, we were also going 3-1ish.

The bottom line is Preseason is all vanilla, bad teams win preseason games. Teams that dont think they will win in the regular season need to win a little and will put a decent effort into game planning while good teams just use this time as an audition for bubble guys, 3rd stringers and last years practice squad members.