08 season predictions?

vettespd20

I'm thinking 9-7. Highlights/lowlights that I feel will occur:

* A surprising fast/good start to season. At least 3-1, and likely 4-0.

* October will negate this start, but will change the annual home/away pattern with the Steelers with a win at PBS. Second quarter of season will yield 1-3.

* November is also quite hard, but I'm hoping for a couple home victories. 2-2 at best.

* A similar end to the season. Would be nice to sweep the season series with the Browns, but I expect a split. 3-1 end would be great, but we all know the end always seems to be a downer, so I would hope for .500. A 2-2 December.

That puts us at 9-7, but maybe 8-8 as well. Probably not enough to get into the playoffs. Division winner will be 10-6 or 9-7. If it is 9-7, we could make it, but I think that record would have to come with 4-2 or probably 5-1 in the division. I expect our Bengals to go 4-2 in the division, so it is possible. As usual, divisional games will be CRITICAL, and those tie-breakers will be as important as ever this year. Be on the lookout for that crazy 'common games' tie-breaker, which follows the division record. All this means is that the 'least meaningful' games (if there is such a thing!) are against the Jets and Chiefs. Ugh ... let's face ... just need wins!

Week 1 - at Ravens - W

Week 2 - Titans - W

Week 3 - at Giants - W

Week 4 - Browns - W

Week 5 - at Cowboys - L

Week 6 - at Jets - L

Week 7 - Steelers - W

Week 8 - Jaguars - L

Week 9 - at Texans - L

Week 10 - Eagles - W

Week 11 - at Steelers - L

Week 12 - Ravens - W

Week 13 - at Colts - L

Week 14 - Redskins - W

Week 15 - at Browns - L

Week 16 - Chiefs - W

I predict a huge increase in offensive yards per game and time of possession due to the additions of Perry and Utech and the improved health of Rudi and the O-line. Add that to the fact the defense will be better than it was down the stretch last season (which was pretty good) and I am looking for 2-3 more wins than last year. I don't think 10-6 and AFC North champs are out of the question.

I predict 9-7. 10-6 if healthy.

SLOW start, fast finish.

Injuries/depletion to WR's, is this the year CJ and TJ battle injuries? They get healthy in week 12 and we make a run, just missing playoffs...

D improves and keeps us in games. Fundamentals return. Rivers holds out all of training camp. Pollack v2.

If Brat can really adhere to a run-oriented attack and be disciplined about making half-time adjustments, then this team can get to 10-6, maybe winning the AFCN.

I think a winning season is within reason (9-7 or even 10-6 with a little luck) but agree that it is still to early to really put much thought to it. It's fun I know, but without seeing how Rivers is going to come along, the #3 WR, the new defensive schemes, the health of our RB and LB corps, and a myriad of other things, it's just not that simple...

I will add that if anyone is seeing a top 15 defense with a top 5 offense might as well pencil us in for the Superbowl. I'm NOT saying that is where this team is (I think we are still off from those rankings), but have said numerous times that a top 15 defense has to make us BIGTIME contenders for the Superbowl. Sad Rivers isn't getting in to help this team take the step in that direction...

WHODEY !!!

IMHO the most critical game of the first four that may pave the way to the playoffs is on the road in New York against the Giants. If the Bengals can at least give the reigning NFL Champs a scare, if not steal a victory, it would be the talk of the league! Believe me I'm not counting on a win, but getting a big "W" early would definitely give the team confidence and momentum they will need to make the post season.

I'm thinking 8-8 or 7-9. This team has all kinds of talent, but unfortunately, the coaching staff has yet to be able to harness it. If this team ever played to it's potential, it'd be a perennial playoff team.

This team needs a play-off appearance! 9-7, 10-6, whatever it takes. They have the talent to do it and barring injuries they should. The offense is one of the most explosive in the NFL, especially with Perry back and Utecht. They just need the defense to finish ranked in the mid-teens.

I predict 9-7. 10-6 if healthy.

Yeah, I've been leaning that way myself. Last year, this team had a defense that was one injury away from having to pull fans out of the stands to play for them, an offense banged up seven ways to Sunday and a gutted special teams unit -- yet it still managed to get to 7-9, and was perhaps just a not-shanked kickoff in the Seattle game in week 3 away from .500. If the Bengals can stay relatively healthy -- I know 100% is too much to ask, every team gets hit with injuries, but last year here was ridiculous -- they'll be a couple games better almost by default.

I wish I were as optimistic as most of you. It's true that we managed a 7-9 season with a myriad of injuries, but the schedule is much harder this year. I think we'll be lucky to be 8-8 this year. If everything falls into place, and we don't get hit too hard with the injurires, there's a chance we could surprise and make the playoffs. As a life long Bengals fan, it's hard to imagine having any good luck though.

8-8

Week 1 - at Ravens - W

Week 2 - Titans - L

Week 3 - at Giants - L

Week 4 - Browns - W

Week 5 - at Cowboys - L

Week 6 - at Jets - W

Week 7 - Steelers - L

Week 8 - Jaguars - L

Week 9 - at Texans - W

Week 10 - Eagles - W

Week 11 - at Steelers - W

Week 12 - Ravens - W

Week 13 - at Colts - L

Week 14 - Redskins - L

Week 15 - at Browns - L

Week 16 - Chiefs - W

I wish I were as optimistic as most of you. It's true that we managed a 7-9 season with a myriad of injuries, but the schedule is much harder this year. I think we'll be lucky to be 8-8 this year. If everything falls into place, and we don't get hit too hard with the injurires, there's a chance we could surprise and make the playoffs. As a life long Bengals fan, it's hard to imagine having any good luck though.

8-8

Week 1 - at Ravens - W

Week 2 - Titans - L

Week 3 - at Giants - L

Week 4 - Browns - W

Week 5 - at Cowboys - L

Week 6 - at Jets - W

Week 7 - Steelers - L

Week 8 - Jaguars - L

Week 9 - at Texans - W

Week 10 - Eagles - W

Week 12 - Ravens - W

Week 13 - at Colts - L

Week 14 - Redskins - L

Week 15 - at Browns - L

Week 16 - Chiefs - W

:o How you can possibly see a loss against the Titans at home in week two is beyond me. We stomped their asses into a mud puddle last season 35-6. Granted their best defensive player Haynesworth was out, but I don't see him making up a 29 point difference, but their biggest failure was being unable to cover #85. Chad's three TD catches from Palmer were basic short routes. Nothing fancy in the least.

8-8

Week 1 - at Ravens - W

Week 2 - Titans - L

Week 3 - at Giants - L

Week 4 - Browns - W

Week 5 - at Cowboys - L

Week 6 - at Jets - W

Week 7 - Steelers - L

Week 8 - Jaguars - L

Week 9 - at Texans - W

Week 10 - Eagles - W

Week 12 - Ravens - W

Week 13 - at Colts - L

Week 14 - Redskins - L

Week 15 - at Browns - L

Week 16 - Chiefs - W

:o How you can possibly see a loss against the Titans at home in week two is beyond me. We stomped their asses into a mud puddle last season 35-6. Granted their best defensive player Haynesworth was out, but I don't see him making up a 29 point difference, but their biggest failure was being unable to cover #85. Chad's three TD catches from Palmer were basic short routes. Nothing fancy in the least.

Agreed! I would add Washington here at home as another win we will pick up. I was not that impressed with them at all last season and I think the 4 game win streak they had at the end of the season was a fluke. It took that 4 game streak to get them to 9-7. They also lost to the Bills, Bucs, and Philly last season and should have lost to the Dolphins, Jets, and Cardinals.

I also like our chances against the Jags here... if we stop the run.

The key is winning the games we are supposed to, and going at least 6-2 at home. 4-4 at home, as Bengals Billy predicts will certainly be a disapointing season.

Apparently 10-6 won't win the AFC North as I just read on nfl.com that Pat Kirwan is predicting that the Steelers could finish 12-4. 12-4 !?! WTF?

Add the Giants to the list of wins with Tenn and Wash. Beating the NY Giants shouldn't be too hard. Who doesn't think they are not going to respond to Coughlin's ranting this year? They are the champs now and will have the hangover to prove it. Plus they suck at home.

One reason why I like the Bengals to finish 10-6 and win the division is because they have less depth questions than anyone else in the AFC North.

i dont see how the defense is improved enough to be a mid-teen defense. especially with Rivers out of camp and Odom (who im not completely sold on) missing time with his injury. We lost our most consistent linebacker in Landon Johnson. We have two young unproven safeties (although talented). The only improvements i see are a potentially healthy Brooks, another year of experience for Peko, JJ and Hall, and Zimmer as D coordinator. I wanna be optomistic about our Defense but there are just still a lot of question marks. Maybe Frostee can step up, Odom will be fine and Rivers comes in and contributes while Brooks plays like the beast he was touted to be, the young safeties learn fast and one of our DT draftees steps up but that seems like a lot of ifs...

i dont see how the defense is improved enough to be a mid-teen defense.

Me either. OTOH, last time we made the playoffs, our D was ranked 28th. It featured two rookie LBs in Odell and Pollack, Madieu was out for most of the year, and we saw such memorable one-shots as Hannibal Navies and the unforgettable Ifeanyi O-I-suck-a-lot-a.

10 and 6

2 over the woeful Ravens

Splits with Pittsburgh and Cleveland

Wins over the Eagles, Giants, and the Redskins in the NFC

Wins over the Jets, the Titans, and the Chiefs

Loses to the Cowboys, Texans, Browns, Steelers, Jaguars, and Colts.

I predict an offensive explosion, TJ is playing for a new contract, as is Chad, as is Chris Perry, as is Andrews. I think Rudi will be back to his 1200 yard 12 TD self. I think Utecht and a healthy Perry will bring huge dividends. I think the defense will gel under Zimmer and the fact that that Chiefs, Eagles, Titans, Jets, Redskins, Giants, and Ravens (twice) all have significant ? on Offense will all work to our advantage. I think the defense will force ALOT of turnovers.

dreaming about 19-0

wanting 16-0

hoping for 7-9

expecting 6-10

Feeling about as positive as Barbarian was!

dreaming about 19-0

wanting 16-0

hoping for 7-9

expecting 6-10

Feeling about as positive as Barbarian was!

Me, too. I know the Bengals have the talent to go to the playoffs, and they have had for years. But for some reason, they haven't been able to harness that talent into a playoff season (except for '05 when we had the weakest schedule in history). If Brat gets a little more creative and a little less predictable on offense, and Zimmer can turn our defense around then we'll be set. But those are two very huge ifs.

It is really a shame what years of losing can do to the most loyal fan: turn them into a skeptic. I'm a lifer with the benefit of season tickets since 1968 when I was 11 to getting my own in 1980. No matter what else happens I always see the glass as half full at the start of the season. You need to take a leap of faith. You can't give up on your team before the season even starts. I’d rather be disappointed later if they struggle then to suffer needlessly before there is a reason to.

All teams are Super Bowl contenders as we speak. The Bengals have the talent to win a Championship. The difference between the best and the worst teams in the NFL is very little and sometimes it's a matter a fortune. Ask the Giants.

Who Dey!!!!!!!

Are you ready for some football!!!

Let's get this party started!!!

Welcome to the Jungle!!!

It's football season! It's the best season of the year. If you can't get excited now you must be dead.

10-6.......We've got the talent....and I believe.......yes, I believe, this year they'll put it all together, now that some of the knuckleheads are gone.

I cannot see Carson having another season like last, forcing throws, He'll revert to his '05, '06 ProBowl self......and serious candidate for league MVP.......I believe....I believe....I believe....