This time next Sunday...

DDOGG

I hope we are talking about our new DT Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey or our new DE/LB Derek Harvey or our new RB Darren Mcfadden in round 1

In round 2 I hope we get Dustin Keller as I have said for a few weeks now. I would rather wait on a WR for round 3 or so. So maybe we can get a LB if not Keller or a DT if somehow we lose out on Ellis/Dorsey.

And maybe we will be talking about how we traded #85 to an NFC team for some multiple picks this year. We'll see but I doubt that is going to happen.

Keller is a good receiver and a terrible blocker, and there's just no need for him. We have Utecht, and Kelly, one of the most underrated blocking tight ends in the game.

I hope we are talking about our new DT Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey or our new DE/LB Derek Harvey or our new RB Darren Mcfadden in round 1

In round 2 I hope we get Dustin Keller as I have said for a few weeks now. I would rather wait on a WR for round 3 or so. So maybe we can get a LB if not Keller or a DT if somehow we lose out on Ellis/Dorsey.

And maybe we will be talking about how we traded #85 to an NFC team for some multiple picks this year. We'll see but I doubt that is going to happen.

I can't see why the Bengals would trade Chad before the draft, they need to find out who they land in the draft before disposing of Chad. With the penalties a player brings down for non-participation, even Chad will be hurting if he stays away for 3 months or more. If the cap consequences are as severe as the beat writers say(doubtful!), then the Bengals can't just trade Chad without looking at who else they can cut to reduce their cap number. Coming out of training camp they'll know what they have for running back, Oline and with Deltha. There are currently some big salaries in those position associated with aging vets.

There is nothing to say the Bengals can't privately tell Chad and his agent that they will work hard to do a trade if he shuts up, reports to the mandatories and all other Bengal obligations. Again though, I'd say nothing until the draft is over and we see what sort of WR, RB, OT's and others that we end up with. Hopefully with our first 4 picks we'll get guys that can start in their rookie year at dline, oline, wr and rb. If so, Chad could be traded in 2008 for draft picks next year.

I can't see why the Bengals would trade Chad before the draft, they need to find out who they land in the draft before disposing of Chad. With the penalties a player brings down for non-participation, even Chad will be hurting if he stays away for 3 months or more.

Look at that backwards and it answers your question - teams want to have their vets lined up before the draft so they know who to take. That would imply that Chad's value is highest now before the draft. Also, if we trade him first we have the opportunity to get 2008 picks in return.

On the other hand, we could just wait it out until June, at which point we might get lucky when some receiver gets hurt, or maybe a team that needs a receiver doesn't get one. Then the cap hit could also be spread over two years.

As to the cap - I'll point out that the trade can happen if the Bengals want it to. Between (optionally) spreading the hit over 2 years and clearing Chad's salary off the books, the impact on the cap is negligible.

This time next Sunday? Hopefully it will be something like, "I still can't believe Ellis/Dorsey/Chris Long/Gholston was there at 9!!!"

However, knowing the Bengals, it will probably be, "I still can't believe Ellis/Dorsey/Chris Long/Gholston was there at 9 -- and they passed on him for Devin Thomas!!!"

This time next Sunday? Hopefully it will be something like, "I still can't believe Ellis/Dorsey/Chris Long/Gholston was there at 9!!!"

However, knowing the Bengals, it will probably be, "I still can't believe Ellis/Dorsey/Chris Long/Gholston was there at 9 -- and they passed on him for Devin Thomas!!!"

So true.

I'm thinking something like:

"I can't believe (insert NFL team) took Ellis right before us...we should have traded up!...Mike Brown is so cheap!!!"

along with

"Why did we pass on (overrated defensive talent) in the (insert day 2 round) for (promising offensive player)!"

followed by

"How do we draft 2 WRs and only one (defensive player at position of need)!"

finally every other thread will be about how we didn't fill ALL of our needs in the draft, and will have the title:

"HOW WITH 10 PICKS DID WE TAKE NO (insert OT, C, RB, TE, DE, LB, or CB)s!"

I think it will say WOW, the bengals drafted Dorsey with the ninth pick and then traded one of our thirds, our fourth and our first nexy year for the 10th pick from the Saints and we drafted Ellis. Then in the second round we got the best LB available and worried about reciever in the third round. We selected OL and RB depth in the fourth and fifth rounds. Far fetched and I don't believe it goes down like this but hey it is an interesting idea and I hadn't heard anyone say it yet.

I think it will say WOW, the bengals drafted Dorsey with the ninth pick and then traded one of our thirds, our fourth and our first nexy year for the 10th pick from the Saints and we drafted Ellis. Then in the second round we got the best LB available and worried about reciever in the third round. We selected OL and RB depth in the fourth and fifth rounds. Far fetched and I don't believe it goes down like this but hey it is an interesting idea and I hadn't heard anyone say it yet.

Dorsey AND Ellis!?! Well Semper Fi bro...I hope it happens!

Aren't you afraid of getting kicked out of the Marines for smoking weed? ;)

I'm thinking something like:

"I can't believe (insert NFL team) took Ellis right before us...we should have traded up!...Mike Brown is so cheap!!!"

along with

"Why did we pass on (overrated defensive talent) in the (insert day 2 round) for (promising offensive player)!"

followed by

"How do we draft 2 WRs and only one (defensive player at position of need)!"

finally every other thread will be about how we didn't fill ALL of our needs in the draft, and will have the title:

"HOW WITH 10 PICKS DID WE TAKE NO (insert OT, C, RB, TE, DE, LB, or CB)s!"

Personally, and everything I write here is personal, I think this will be a surprising draft for the top 10. I think conventional wisdom will be wrong on 3 or 4 of the picks. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ellis is picked before Dorsey. Whatever, I'll be in lovely Petaluma,CA watching my daughter play lacrosse during the draft so I won't have the pleasure of being pissed off as those two are picked before #9.

Also, given all the needs of the Bengals, I don't see it where they trade down. Why do it when they have 10 picks already?

Why do it when you can get a stud to address your many needs? Lets reiterate, they have needs at

1. Dline

2. Oline

3. RB

4. WR

5. Safety

6. CB

Excepting Safety and WR, there are studs available at #9, who are worth #9 money, for those needs. So why trade down?

I will be thinking about how hte Bengals need to be more creative in being an active drafter rather than a passive one to make sure that you get the players you need. 2 drafts ago the Bengals targeted Manny Lawson as the guy they wanted but instead of making that happen they just waited to see Lawson drafted two picks ahead of their position in the first. This is not supposed to be a discussion of the ultimate results, certainly J Joe has panned out to be a better pro than Lawson at this stage in their respective careers more that the Bengals have always sat there waiting of a player to fall to them instead of targeting a guy and making sure you are in the right position to get that guy at the best possible value (either trading up or down) The Cowboys have done this constantly.

It still burns me that we selected a QB at #3 of the 1999 draft when we had all the flexibility in the world at our disposal if we had only taken the Saints offer.

It still burns me that we selected a QB at #3 of the 1999 draft when we had all the flexibility in the world at our disposal if we had only taken the Saints offer.

Biggest front office blunder in Bengals, and possibly NFL, history.

You honestly have to ask which is stupider - the Saints offering it, or the Bengals not taking it?

Either way, it's up there with the Herschell Walker trade.