kingwilly's very, very preliminary mock draft

kingwilly

Ok, here goes. What is really sad about this is that I am now more interested in this than the final two Bengals games.

2008 NFL Draft

r1 - DT - Sedrick Ellis, USC

r2 - DE - Tyson Jackson, LSU

r3 - OT - Chris Wiliams, Vandy

r4 - LB - Ezra Butler, Nevada

r5 - LB - Christian Taylor, UCLA

r6 - TE - Joey Hanos, Maryland

r7 - RB - Tony Temple, Missouri

I realize we will have several compensatory picks but didn't dig up all the details. If someone has a full grip on those, let me know.

I definitely like Sedrick Ellis at the 10th position.

I'm hoping for another Ellis in the second round -- Chris Ellis, DE.

I also like Ezra Butler.

I like the D-line focus on the first two rounds.

I've just started playing mock games, and for the most part don't like anything I've come up with yet. Still, it wouldn't feel right to make fun of anyone elses if I don't post one of my own.

1st Rnd - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC - Simply put, the best pass rushing interior lineman in the draft, and sturdy against the run too. However, I have ever growing fears he'll be off the board when the Bengals pick, so as a result I'll look to double dip at this position later in this mock. If Ellis is gone pencil in BPA.

2nd Rnd - Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri - I'm far more familiar with USC's Fred Davis, a player I think is an outstanding TE prospect, but nearly every source I've read ranks Rucker higher, mostly due to his superior run blocking. With Reggie Kelly only signed for one more season the Bengals would be well served to draft a replacement now.

3rd Rnd - Dre Moore, DT, Maryland - Here's the double dip I warned you about. The coming months should let us know if Ellis is a realistic option for the Bengals or so much wishful thinking. Until then here's a backup plan...in the form of the best interior pass rusher still available. Howver, if Ellis is a Bengal this pick needs to be a LB. Pencil in Virginia Tech's Vince Hall.

3rd Rnd (Supplemental) - Trae Williams , CB, South Florida - I'm not sure how high the supplemental pick will be so I picked a late 3rd/ early 4th round prospect. What I was looking for at this spot is a nickleback with good speed who would eventually replace Deltha Oneal, but also add an immediate punt retrun threat. Williams does that.

4th Rnd - Kendall Langford, Hampton, DE - I admit I know nothing about Langford other than his 6'6" 295 lb. measuarables....and some small collage stats that are jaw dropping. So I'm penciling his name in here....because it's December, and I can. (In April I'll pick someone else.)

5th Rnd - Durant Brooks, P, Georgia Tech - Kyle Larson wants the Bengals to pay him more than a million bucks per season. That's fine, but for that kind of money I want a better punter. Brooks would be just that, and far cheaper too. His 45.5 average per punt is outstanding, he's absolutely the best at killing the ball within the 20 (35 times), and has never had a punt blocked due to a fast compact delivery. However, for those that hate the idea of drafting a punter, especially this high, consider North Dakota States Mike Dragosavich. Much taller and more deliberate he's a good second option who should be available in the 6th.

6th Rnd - Korey Lichtensteiger, OC/OG, Bowling Green - Ghiacuic Insurance? One of the bigger more powerful center prospects available. Technically very sound and a smart. A Rimington Award finalist. I've only seen him play once, but he managed to stand out...not an easy thing for a center to do.

7th Rnd - Andy Studebaker, OLB/DE, Wheaton - Freakishly gifted small college missile targeted for immediate special teams duty. In reality he's probably nothing more than the answer to a trivia question, but it says here that I'm taking a flyer on 17.5 sacks, 19 QB hurries, nearly 25 tackles for a loss, and 8 passes broken up.

7th Rnd (Supplemental) - Gimme one of those big slow white TE's that Virginia uses so often. They just make plays. So make it Jeff Stupar. Or the other one.

4th Rnd - Kendall Langford, Hampton, DE - I admit I know nothing about Langford other than his 6'6" 295 lb. measuarables....and some small collage stats that are jaw dropping. So I'm penciling his name in here....because it's December, and I can. (In April I'll pick someone else.)

I did get to see him play (once) this past year -- he looked quick and big. Hard to judge his talent, since he was physically better than his opponents. I think he would be a good pick in round 4. I'm not sure that he lasts that long -- but who knows.

My only knock on Sedrick Ellis is he seems bit small for postion,300 lbs is light for dlinemen but then again he's only 6'1

PS,So wondering hair 2 DT's for rotation or do not think peko is a worthy starter? only knock is lack of Oline in your projections till day 2 and we've seen what alexander has done with rnd5+ picks

My only knock on Sedrick Ellis is he seems bit small for postion,300 lbs is light for dlinemen but then again he's only 6'1

PS,So wondering hair 2 DT's for rotation or do not think peko is a worthy starter? only knock is lack of Oline in your projections till day 2 and we've seen what alexander has done with rnd5+ picks

Ellis will be just fine. My hope is that he is still there when we pick.

I think we need to look OT by r3, the drop-off is pretty big. Not to say we can't go FA to bolster the line, but if they do take an r6+ OT/OG we are not likely to find a guy who can start in case of injury.

I like HoF's Studebaker sleeper. Stuff like this is where the Bengals lack of investment in scouts and player consultants really costs them. For all anyone knows this guy is a late-blooming monster who can play like Laurinaitis but won't burn our r1 pick to get him. Vince Hall is another good option for r3/r3 supplemental pick, he is a dominant guy who reminds me of Ernie Simms.

I am torn on when to get a TE. SInce the D is SO ravaged with injury and utterly devoid of any identity, I think this draft must be D heavy to the point where we can get a professional FA TE to come here and do the few things they ask of their TE's.

I cannot justify burning any pick on a punter. There is just too much needed on the D (LB's and DT's) for us to draft what is really just a cost cutting exercise.

4th Rnd - Kendall Langford, Hampton, DE - I admit I know nothing about Langford other than his 6'6" 295 lb. measuarables....and some small college stats that are jaw dropping. So I'm penciling his name in here....because it's December, and I can. (In April I'll pick someone else.)

I did get to see him play (once) this past year -- he looked quick and big. Hard to judge his talent, since he was physically better than his opponents. I think he would be a good pick in round 4. I'm not sure that he lasts that long -- but who knows.

All I've seen is a ten or fifteen second snippet of film, and it wasn't even game action. But he shows up pretty early in several rankings which peaked my interest.

So wondering hair 2 DT's for rotation or do not think peko is a worthy starter?

I could make a real argument for double dipping at DT, but I tried to make it clear that wasn't my intent. I simply have growing doubts that Ellis will be available when the Bengals select...which would result in the Bengals shifting to another position with the 1st round pick. Doing that likely fills a hole either at LB, OL, DE, or FS....but still leaves me wanting a DT. Thus, I offered a backup plan by selecting Maryland's Dre Moore. However, if Ellis was indeed the 1st round pick I'm probably not looking very hard at Moore.

only knock is lack of Oline in your projections till day 2 and we've seen what alexander has done with rnd5+ picks

No argument. Like I said at the top, I've just started playing mock games and haven't really stumbled on a combination I like very much. But I tried to limit my selections to prospects who currently rank very close to the Bengals estimated draft positions, and the sad truth is I kept missing out on most of the offensive lineman and linebackers that I actually like. So I'll keep experimenting, swapping players and positions over and over again. For example, in the next attempt I'll go in another direction with the 2nd round pick, dropping Martin Rucker, and see what happens if I go TE shopping one round later. And so on.

I am torn on when to get a TE. SInce the D is SO ravaged with injury and utterly devoid of any identity, I think this draft must be D heavy to the point where we can get a professional FA TE to come here and do the few things they ask of their TE's.

I expect the defense to get most of the attention, but the offense won't be ignored entirely. The real question I have is how many junior TE's might declare early due to the weakness of the TE crop.

I cannot justify burning any pick on a punter. There is just too much needed on the D (LB's and DT's) for us to draft what is really just a cost cutting exercise.

I didn't propose it simply to save money. I went shopping for a punter because Larson's average is down, and the number of punts downed within the 20 fell off dramatically this season. In addition, I can't count the number of times the Bengals needed a big punt to save them, only to have Larson ding a 29 yard nubber.

Regardless, at this point I'm just brainstorming.

Well, FWIW I finally got around to updating the mock draft database, and Sedrick is running away with it at the moment, garnering 15 votes. His only competition is LB James Laurinitais with 10. After that it's Calais Campbell (6), LB Dan Connor (4) and DE Vernon Gholston (3).

New name popping up on the boards in a couple spots: North Carolina DT Kentwan Balmer. Condraft says he's our second-rounder; Lou over at Draft King has the Bengals pulling the trigger on him at No. 9 overall. Both nfldraftscout.com and scout.com have him ranked as the No. 3 DT overall.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33362

Steuber at scout.com had this to say about him a month ago:

Last week, I said to keep an eye on a North Carolina Tar Heel linebacker Durell Mapp. This week it's time to tell you about another promising prospect from UNC, defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer. Balmer is a gifted interior lineman who has a great burst off the line and is excellent against the run. He moves well laterally and uses his hands effectively against a bigger opponent. He has the ability to get penetration up the middle, squeeze through a seam, locate the ball, and close in on the opposition for a loss. At 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, Balmer has room to add size. But that may hurt his quickness inside. This season, Balmer has totaled 55 tackles (29 solo, 26 assisted), 7.5 for a loss, and 2.5 sacks. Balmer's stock is on the rise, and I project he'll be selected on Day One.

Ok, here goes. What is really sad about this is that I am now more interested in this than the final two Bengals games.

2008 NFL Draft

I realize we will have several compensatory picks but didn't dig up all the details. If someone has a full grip on those, let me know.

yeah, but it wouldn't be a Bengals draft if we didn't double dip from one of those schools. (which I kinda like actually)

only knock is lack of Oline in your projections till day 2 and we've seen what alexander has done with rnd5+ picks

I too want to see at least one offensive lineman taken on day one kingwilly. BTW, Happy 36th Birthday to the King!

The 3rd round is still day one with his pick of Williams. While I'm not familiar with Williams (yet) I have no issue with a 3rd being spent on the O-line and maybe an additional late rounder as well for the O-line...

WHODEY !!!

Agreed - OL is less of a guess than any other position in football in my opinion, even for our 2.5 scouts... I wish we could draft a GM and medical staff as well...

2008 NFL Draft

Wow. I'm watching the Emerald Bowl and made an effort to check out the TE Kingwilly targeted in the mock above. Damn, that kid is HUGE. Hanos stands 6'8" is said to weigh 270lbs and is suprisingly athletic. Shows good hands too. Best, he's a solid and willing blocker.

2008 NFL Draft

Wow. I'm watching the Emerald Bowl and made an effort to check out the TE Kingwilly targeted in the mock above. Damn, that kid is HUGE. Hanos stands 6'8" is said to weigh 270lbs and is suprisingly athletic. Shows good hands too. Best, he's a solid and willing blocker.

I say the Bengals should double dip from Maryland and take the TE and the LB Henderson. :cheers:

I too want to see at least one offensive lineman taken on day one kingwilly. BTW, Happy 36th Birthday to the King!

Thanks Billy. 35 was painful ... 36 feels better already!

I DVR'd the game and watched it for him, too. He is very appealing. Might be gone by r6, though.

Now, if we could just get Brat to look around the league and understand that incorporating a TE into the O can be a GOOD thing.

I do not think the Terrapin underclassman LB is coming out.

Even though Nevada took a beating (no secondary) Ezra Butler was very tough in the New Mexico Bowl. He reminds me of Merriman, fast off the edge and can run down a play from across the field.