Darren Mcfadden

nechemia

At this point the season is obviously a wash, the best thing the Bengals can do for themselves is continue to lose, which shouldn't be so hard becasue they horrendously suck, and pretty soon wecan almost start dreaming of Darren McFadden......maybe Chuck Ludwig can bring up the idea to Marv in one of the press conferences. Anyone else for tanking it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No to McFadden.

Yes to Dorsey/Laurinatais/Connor/ect.

I could live with a Watson/Dorsey/Irons backfield next season. They better not draft an offensive player unless it is O-Line. Build the defense around the stud you pick in the first round, and build the O-Line. I still have hope for Kenny Irons to be a pretty productive back. If he turns out to be a bust, pick a RB in 2009. But not, I repeat, NOT Round 1 in 2008. DEFENSE OR O-LINE PEOPLE. I don't care if we have Walter Payton re-incarnated in the backfield. He couldn't run behind this line and it wouldn't matter if he did because our defense BLOWWWWS!

McFadden is probably a pipe dream unless they end up with the No. 1 overall. That said, if somehow he is there, it's very, very hard to pass on him. Rudi looks done, Watson is OK but not the answer, Chris Perry can't stay healthy, and who knows when Irons comes back, or if he loses anything because of the injury.

They just signed Rudi. I'm sure that Perry and Irons have big cap #'s. Adding a top 5 running back? Can't do it.

Yeah they can. They "just" signed Rudi if by "just" you mean three years ago. Rudi's cap number this year is a bit over $5 million; remaining bonus to be prorated is $3 million -- meaning they could have cut him this year and picked up $2 million in cap space. Cap savings would be even greater next year.

Irons' cap number is (or would be if he were on the roster) a whole $660k. He'll still have about $1.2 million in bonus money to amortize next season, but that means the cap hit were they to cut him for any reason would only amount to another $600k or so.

Chris Perry should be cap neutral, maybe even a slight gain, $100k or so, next season.

In mock drafts, I have seen Dorsey go anywhere from #1 overall, all the way down to #14 and everywhere in-between. You never know how the draft is going to shake out, but there are some that say he is too small to warrant a top 5 pick. I happen to think those people are crazy and he will, in fact, be drafted in the top 5, possibly #1. He will probably be gone when the Bengals draft at about 6 to 8.

When others still had dreams of a 10 - 6 season, I made the point that this kid may just be the leader they need on defense and that they should consider trading up. It's not so far fetched now that they would only be moving up a few spots.

I know, I know, it will never happen. Please forgive me, it's just nice to dream that some day we may actually have a GM that knows something about football.

Regardless of who we target with our first pick (and yes I agree, it should a defensive player) we should let Rudi go. Again, his cap number isn't so much the problem, he's become useless and he's just taking up a roster spot from someone else who could potentially preform better for us at another position.

If they want to take a RB in round 4 or later I have no problem with that. 1-3 should be defense and O-line help exclusively! :sure:

At this point the season is obviously a wash, the best thing the Bengals can do for themselves is continue to lose, which shouldn't be so hard becasue they horrendously suck, and pretty soon wecan almost start dreaming of Darren McFadden......maybe Chuck Ludwig can bring up the idea to Marv in one of the press conferences. Anyone else for tanking it?

Pats will take him at #2. the rich get richer.

How about drafting some scouts? Most clubs have 8-10+ on their payroll - the Bengals' have, um, 3 full timers I believe, and then their coaches who double up and John Cooper working from his home office!

Or maybe they can just draft two guys from the same team/school and save a few bucks on an extra flight like they do every year.

How? They lost their first rounder via Spygate. Who would trade that high of a pick to someone with no first round pick next year?

How? They lost their first rounder via Spygate. Who would trade that high of a pick to someone with no first round pick next year?

They lose their own pick, but they still have the 49ers? I think it was.

PS,Part of me doesn't wanna see another RB taken but then again part of me see's 6 teams passed on all day who would probably go 1st overall.

I could live with and support the pick of mcfadden,

What defensive position does Darren McFadden play?

Are you kidding me??? Even I know this one... :blink:

Please tell me you have heard of this guy...

Wow. Just...wow.

There are way too many needs on the defensive side for this team to even think about taking another RB with a high draft pick, I don't care if it is McFadden. Why not wait and see what Irons can do before taking a chance on another back? No one even knows what we have with him, but from the limited time I saw him in camp and pre-season, he very well could be the every down back the team needs or at least can work in a rotation with Watson, because I really do think Rudi is gone after this year.

Anyway, this draft needs to be heavily slanted towards the defensive side of the ball.

I agree. How can anyone in their right mind think this team needs will pick a running back????? Seriously folks. Seriously.

Yeah, seriously. We are all agreed that there are about 1,092 holes on the D, right?

OTOH, the O is shy an RB, maybe an O lineman.

One pick can't turn around the defense. However, one pick can turn around the offense.

I agree. How can anyone in their right mind think this team needs will pick a running back????? Seriously folks. Seriously.

Yeah, seriously. We are all agreed that there are about 1,092 holes on the D, right?

OTOH, the O is shy an RB, maybe an O lineman.

One pick can't turn around the defense. However, one pick can turn around the offense.

So, you think we should give up on Irons already?

And a stud defensive player can give you a building block to build around. If we can get a Dorsey, Lauranaitis, someone of that caliber, this defense will be well on its way. I still think our young corners are going to be good if given a sufficient pass rush. However, if we ignore the glaring need of this team and draft McFadden, we'll be stuck in the same position we are this year and have been for the past few years. We'll losing 55-50 instead of 35-30.

So, you think we should give up on Irons already?

And a stud defensive player can give you a building block to build around. If we can get a Dorsey, Lauranaitis, someone of that caliber, this defense will be well on its way. I still think our young corners are going to be good if given a sufficient pass rush. However, if we ignore the glaring need of this team and draft McFadden, we'll be stuck in the same position we are this year and have been for the past few years. We'll losing 55-50 instead of 35-30.

No, I think you hope Irons is your 3rd down back, successor to Kenny Watson. As to the D, thats where you spend that $30 million war chest the Bengals have for FA coming up in 2008. You repeat the 2003 strategy: finish the O through the draft, stabilize the D with 3-4 FAs. Only this time you aren't drafting a QB first overall that you have to wait 2 years to develop. You get an offensive draft pick or two who can make an immediate impact and recharge the offense and bolster a D that's already way too young -- and due to get younger with the likely departure of guys like Justin, Dex, B-rob, Deltha, maybe Thornton -- with experienced vets who can bring the kind of leadership that a guy like Dhani brought this year.