Darren Mcfadden

nechemia

There are way too many needs on the defensive side for this team to even think about taking another RB with a high draft pick,

Well past 3 years.

David Pollack

Odell THurman

Jonathan Joseph

Ahmad Brooks

Leon Hall

Frostee Rucker

This team hasn't been ignoring defense we have spent picks to try fix it,But the running game and Oline do need to be upgraded also.

I would love for Kenny Irons to work out but do you wanna wait 2-3 years to see if he does? Even if we took mcfadden doesn't mean irons is a wasted pick just gives us a 1-2 combo and that perry was a wasted pick :P

PS,For those who are against mcfadden how would a RB of All days caliber not be a huge upgrade to this team?Mcfadden was also seen the better of the 2 backs last year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. How can anyone in their right mind think this team needs will pick a running back????? Seriously folks. Seriously.

Yeah, seriously. We are all agreed that there are about 1,092 holes on the D, right?

OTOH, the O is shy an RB, maybe an O lineman.

One pick can't turn around the defense. However, one pick can turn around the offense.

This is like that movie Stephen King "Pet Semetary" Yeah I know. It's spelled with an "S".

Anyway, the people in the movie keep refusing to admit that as many times as they think they are fixing the problem...the cat, the dog, the kid, the wife.....they bury them to give them new life, they all keep coming back worse than they were before they were "fixed".

Rudi, Chris Perry, Kenny Irons, Kenny Watson, even McFadden won't fix the problems on the O-LINE and their running schemes and/or lack of blocking talent. You want to quick fix this team by drafting a RB? Draft offense? Start with the O-Line.

Fix the root of the problem don't add band-aids. Don't bury Rudi in the cemetery either....

So, you think we should give up on Irons already?

And a stud defensive player can give you a building block to build around. If we can get a Dorsey, Lauranaitis, someone of that caliber, this defense will be well on its way. I still think our young corners are going to be good if given a sufficient pass rush. However, if we ignore the glaring need of this team and draft McFadden, we'll be stuck in the same position we are this year and have been for the past few years. We'll losing 55-50 instead of 35-30.

No, I think you hope Irons is your 3rd down back, successor to Kenny Watson. As to the D, thats where you spend that $30 million war chest the Bengals have for FA coming up in 2008. You repeat the 2003 strategy: finish the O through the draft, stabilize the D with 3-4 FAs. Only this time you aren't drafting a QB first overall that you have to wait 2 years to develop. You get an offensive draft pick or two who can make an immediate impact and recharge the offense and bolster a D that's already way too young -- and due to get younger with the likely departure of guys like Justin, Dex, B-rob, Deltha, maybe Thornton -- with experienced vets who can bring the kind of leadership that a guy like Dhani brought this year.

That doesn't mean you should stop drafting defense either. Ignoring the fact that we need more defensive help regardless of the past drafts won't make it better.

How many of those prior draft picks addressed our real weakness at DT?

That doesn't mean you should stop drafting defense either. Ignoring the fact that we need more defensive help regardless of the past drafts won't make it better.

How many of those prior draft picks addressed our real weakness at DT?

Heck, my flag has been planted in camp DT for endless drafts; I've been bitching about the Bengals ignoring the defensive line for about ever. What it comes down to is where the Bengals draft. Like I said earlier, it's unlikely that the Bengals are in a position to draft McFadden. If he is gone, and thats very likely unless the Bengals completely tank the season, I'm perfectly happy with a defensive pick. But if this team has a chance to immediately pop the offense back to an elite level with their first pick, take it.

We'll have a better sense of this come January, because we will know when we draft, and we'll have a better sense of how the first round will go. If we are in a position where McFadden will be gone, then obviously we start looking at defense. If the Bengals screw up to the point where we might have a shot at him, it's a different ball game. And that take will impact how they approach FA. All I'm saying is don't get locked in on defense. Offense can make a lot of sense depending on how things fall out.

Rudi, Chris Perry, Kenny Irons, Kenny Watson, even McFadden won't fix the problems on the O-LINE and their running schemes and/or lack of blocking talent. You want to quick fix this team by drafting a RB? Draft offense? Start with the O-Line.

When our Oline was a top 3 unit rudi was still above avg at best,Ya we need Oline work too Whitworth replaces willie draft a guard day 1) but a RB like mcfadden would still bring much more to the table then Kenny ,Rudi,perry or Irons(who is the only one of the 4 I have hope for)

I still think the Saints pick of Bush was a wrong move for them. I know Bush is the next coming and all that crap, but he hasn't done much for his team whatsoever. Has he helped them ?? Yes, but not to an extent that they passed on a top tier defensive player that could have helped them far greater than Bush has to this point. Now, I will admit that it's a bit of speculation and hindsight is always 20/20, but I think their defense would have been greatly enhanced by NOT taking Bush...

WHODEY !!!

David Pollack

Odell THurman

Jonathan Joseph

Ahmad Brooks

Leon Hall

Frostee Rucker

It takes 2-3 years for a rookie to come in to the NFL and really start to show his full ability according to Bill Parcels. I like this group of defensive players except for maybe one.... I don't care if we need defense or not, you take the best guy available. If Mcfadden's there, I say grab him. Mcfadden/Irons/Watson would be really nice.... Free Agency is the only quick fix for our s**tty defense, not a first round draft pick.

I still think the Saints pick of Bush was a wrong move for them. I know Bush is the next coming and all that crap, but he hasn't done much for his team whatsoever. Has he helped them ?? Yes, but not to an extent that they passed on a top tier defensive player that could have helped them far greater than Bush has to this point. Now, I will admit that it's a bit of speculation and hindsight is always 20/20, but I think their defense would have been greatly enhanced by NOT taking Bush...

I dunno. If Bush had gone first like everyone expected, then the Saints would have ended up with...Mario Williams. Who has yet to rise to the less-than-exalted heights of Justin Smith-caliber play.

I know this is totally out of the question for the Bengals to do, but an easy (but expensive) fix to the D would be to sign an impact D-lineman in FA like Haynesworth, then draft the best safety who can lay the wood and cover like a corner, Kenny Phillips. I think the offensive problems are not necessarily due to personnel, but have more to do with the fact that they feel like every possession needs to end in a TD. They are clearly pressing to make plays because they don't trust the defense. I laughed at the article on "the site" that was titled "Defense Played Well Enough". Well enough for what? Yes the offense was accountable for 14 points, but did anyone really think that defense would have held them to less than 30 points anyway? Marvin and Mike need to stop being so sentimental and drop the pipe dream that Pollack and Odell will be playing together again. They are kidding themselves with Miller and Johnson too. If they don't draft Phillips, they should trade slightly down and try to get 2 first rounders to take LB's. Definitely no O in the first!

sign an impact D-lineman in FA like Haynesworth

You did say it was out of the question for the Bengals, so I am not sure why you bothered suggesting it, but.....do you know why this guy is called "Stomp"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxMRPTsYeo

Just what we need.....more criminal types

Edited by Bengalszone Billy
Placed YouTube window in post

Guys,

When was the last time Mike Brown signed a good FA? Why would he start now?

Why do some of you think a top tier DT can't make an impact????

Why aren't we giving Kenny Irons a chance?

What is with the love-fest with McFadden? I can see he is good, but so was Barry Sanders and the Lions won HOW MANY playoff games with him? What was the reason the Lions sucked so bad?

Build, or re-build, the lines first.

Guys,

When was the last time Mike Brown signed a good FA?

Tory James, 2003.

He might -- but more likely not since there are so many other holes on the D. Given the multiple needs, it makes more sense to focus the FA money on the D.

Because if he doesn't pan out we have no plan B. He was supposed to be the plan B.

What is with the love-fest with McFadden? Build, or re-build, the lines first.

Fine. With the 10th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the bengals select...Sam Baker, OT, USC.

WHODEY !!!

Bush is a WR in the nfl though it would seem and never was same run style of mcfadden or all day,The Vikings had just signed Chestor taylor who showed he could run the ball as a primary running back but they still took all day was that a mistake?

-I'm all for giving kenny a chance but I wouldn't mind having a 1-2 atk of the calliber of Mcfadden & Irons.

What is with the love-fest with McFadden?

-See all day.

I can see he is good, but so was Barry Sanders and the Lions won HOW MANY playoff games with him?

-Look at the rest of Berrys team, 1 good player out of 53.

What was the reason the Lions sucked so bad?

-Poor front office / entire team stunk besides him

-Fine by me but I'd still find it hard to pass on mcfadden,I'm up for taking Oline this year (i'd say guard in 2nd or 3rd round and whitworth to RT)

I'm also perfectly fine with taking a Dlinemen high I was huge ngata pick after all :o

-I don't think anyone would complain about drafting a DT in round 1 or signing top tier FA,The only reason haynesworth doesn't get the nod by bengals fans is he likes to stomp on peoples faces.

WHODEY !!!

Bush is a WR in the nfl though it would seem and never was same run style of mcfadden or all day,The Vikings had just signed Chestor taylor who showed he could run the ball as a primary running back but they still took all day was that a mistake?

-I'm all for giving kenny a chance but I wouldn't mind having a 1-2 atk of the calliber of Mcfadden & Irons.

What is with the love-fest with McFadden?

-See all day.

I can see he is good, but so was Barry Sanders and the Lions won HOW MANY playoff games with him?

-Look at the rest of Berrys team, 1 good player out of 53.

What was the reason the Lions sucked so bad?

-Poor front office / entire team stunk besides him

-Fine by me but I'd still find it hard to pass on mcfadden,I'm up for taking Oline this year (i'd say guard in 2nd or 3rd round and whitworth to RT)

I'm also perfectly fine with taking a Dlinemen high I was huge ngata pick after all :o

-I don't think anyone would complain about drafting a DT in round 1 or signing top tier FA,The only reason haynesworth doesn't get the nod by bengals fans is he likes to stomp on peoples faces.

To each their own. Fair enough.

Here's the facts for you, or at least as I see them:

Next year's backfield will consist of Rudi, Perry, Irons, Watson, Dorsey. With Rudi, Perry, and Irons coming off injury you would think they would get a shot of proving themselves next year. Right? Ok. Who gets cut? If Rudi comes back healthy the Bengals will keep Rudi and see what he can do. Deedee is gone. I think Perry is gone. OR it may be possible that the team uses Rudi or Perry as trade value. We'll see. The point is we already have TOO many RBs.

The Bengals will draft 6-10. The 49ers (Patriots), Dolphins, Raiders, Rams, Jets will all draft before them. McFadden will be LONG gone.

Lastly, I think the Bengals think they are more than set at RB with Rudi, Irons, Perry, and Watson. That leaves no room for a RB for a 1st round pick.

Don't doubt mcfadden will be gone minus them losing out rest of season which I doubt happens(though kinda wish it does)

Rudi=I'd say goodbye,He's been solid but even in his good years he was solid at best and that was behind top tier line...always left much to be desired.

Perry=Unreliable plus more of a pass catcher.

Irons=Well he still needs play a down in the NFL,I'm more fine with giving irons a shot but I stick by rather having 1-2 combo rather then just a 1.

Watson=Above avg at best great backup but Still need something more IMO

If we have a shot at Mcfadden or Stewart I just wouldn't mind seeing the pick but I wouldn't cry over them passing em and taking defense either.

But our running game needs be fixed as does our Oline.

Lastly, I think the Bengals think they are more than set at RB with Rudi, Irons, Perry, and Watson. That leaves no room for a RB for a 1st round pick.

If you want to see a replay of my meltdown after the Bengals announced their #1 pick in the 2004 draft, let Cincinnati pick a RB 1st next time. Granted, McFadden is much more likely to be a better back than Perry, but I'm happy to stand pat with our current offensive backfield. Watson has matured into much more than I ever thought he'd be, and I feel Irons will also be solid, although who the hell really knows. Perry may be ready to stay healthy for an entire season, (he can't be injured every year can he?) and I don't think Rudi is completely healthy yet. Time will tell, but here I am optimistic.

All I have to say is draft play making linemen on either side of the ball. (Key words in that sentence is "play making".) This game is won in the trenches, and we're getting our asses whipped here. IMHO the Bengals have trouble putting steady pressure on opposing QB's without extreme blitzing schemes that leave the defense vunerable, while the offensive line just doesn't have it going on like they did in '05. Others here may beg to differ, but that's their right.

If you want to see a replay of my meltdown after the Bengals announced their #1 pick in the 2004 draft, let Cincinnati pick a RB 1st next time.

That seals it. I am now firmly in the draft McFadden camp! :P

Dickhead! You remember it don't you! :lol:

If you want to see a replay of my meltdown after the Bengals announced their #1 pick in the 2004 draft, let Cincinnati pick a RB 1st next time.

That seals it. I am now firmly in the draft McFadden camp! :P

Dickhead! You remember it don't you! :lol:

Yes...I am a dickhead! :lol:

Could somone please remind me of the last time a Bengals 1st round RB amounted to anything? Archie Griffin? better yet, remind me of the last time a Bengals r1 pick lived up to their potential...Carson? maybe Big Willie? Takeo perhaps? go back further, when Mr. Brown was running the team and you see some decent r1 picks...Munoz, Curtis...

I think we should trade our r1 away...sounds crazy but we could jam some talent with a couple/few extra picks and given the mass exodus of players we will see, this team will need a serious influx of players.

I don't relly think you can compare the Saints drafting of Bush to the Vikings drafting of Petterson. The Vikings defense was MUCH better than the Saints and could afford to take Petterson without thought, which pretty much everyone knew they would if they had the chance. The Saints however, were thought to be taking defense all the way and a top tier DT would have been a great pick with them having Grant and Smith at the ends.

Anyway around, if Perry and Irons can come back healthy, that is a nice looking backfield. Not to mention what you will get out of Rudi and Watson. There is just to much there to be considering a RB in my opinion. Not to mention when we selected Perry, wasn't all the talk about why did we draft a RB when it's proven that good RB talent can be found in the later round ?? What makes this any different when looking at the glaring holes on this defense ?? Sorry, I just want more defense...

WHODEY !!!