Patriots Videotaping "cheating" incident

mgilgris

Other possible punishments:

-- BB must wear suit, tie on sideline for rest of season.

-- Stadium now referred to as located in "Fauxboro."

-- Robert Kraft must give Vladimir Putin the rest of his SB rings.

-- Scoreboard at Fauxboro must show continuous loop of commercials starring Peyton Manning during games.

-- Tom Brady can only date fat, ugly Steelers fans for next 365 days.

-- Randy Moss ordered to become locker room cancer, destroy team chemistry, immediately.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suspension of the Coach is the next best option, but it had better be at least 4 games, like all the Steriod/HGH cheaters have been getting.

Dave Lapham said basically the same thing on Lance's show today. He felt that if BB got suspended that he should be banned from practice and the entire facility for the length of his suspension, ala Odell and Henry.

By the way, CP in his presser on 1530 just said some hysterical stuff about the Pats situation:

"Penalty? How about they forfeit the 4th game of the year?"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I like that idea!

Is he scared of them?

Listen to it shula, before going there. That wasn't the spirit in which it was said.

By the way, CP in his presser on 1530 just said some hysterical stuff about the Pats situation:

"Penalty? How about they forfeit the 4th game of the year?"

:lmao::lmao::lmao: I like that idea!

Is he scared of them?

Listen to it shula, before going there. That wasn't the spirit in which it was said.

Huh? Why would anyone care about stupid stuff like context? It's only a reason to laugh. Who laughs anymore? :rolleyes:

I think what will answer this question best is how good the Patriots do from here on out. The league will be watching them like hawks, and so will opposing teams. If they start faltering badly in the second halves of games, you have your answer. They were using it to an extreme advantage! IMHO they will drop many a game from here. Especially with their schedule.

This is interesting:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/09/1...ra-points/5478/

Schatz over at footballoutsiders.com ran the numbers to see if the Pats O was better in he second half than the first (which ought to be true if they were stealing defensive signals). Full disclosure, Schatz is a Pats fan, but what the data shows is actually that the Pats have suffered the biggest fall in their effectiveness in the second half versus the first half in the whole league. So if l'il Bill was stealing signals, he seemed to get jack divided by sh*t out of it. (Which, if has been suggested, everyone knew he was doing and took precautions against, and maybe even faked him out on, seems logical.)

But what I found more interesting is that, guess who the numbers say had the second-worst fall in their offensive effectiveness in the second half versus the first half?

Yeah, that'd be...us. For all you Brat haters, here's some meat.

This is interesting:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/09/1...ra-points/5478/

Schatz over at footballoutsiders.com ran the numbers to see if the Pats O was better in he second half than the first (which ought to be true if they were stealing defensive signals). Full disclosure, Schatz is a Pats fan, but what the data shows is actually that the Pats have suffered the biggest fall in their effectiveness in the second half versus the first half in the whole league. So if l'il Bill was stealing signals, he seemed to get jack divided by sh*t out of it. (Which, if has been suggested, everyone knew he was doing and took precautions against, and maybe even faked him out on, seems logical.)

But what I found more interesting is that, guess who the numbers say had the second-worst fall from their offensive effectiveness in the second half versus the first half?

So much for my theory. Then again he may be cooking the books here being a Pats fan. Let's see how this plays out.

Granted, three of the top five teams are crap.

I'm guessing that there's a "prevent defense" effect going on there. With the exception of the Chargers all the "top" teams were pretty poor in the first half as well. But among the bottom teams the Bengals are clearly kicking butt, moreso even than the Pats, and then they fall off in the second half. If anything this suggests to me that the Bengals get too complacent with first half success; that they need to be more ready to switch gears even when it's working, because the opposition will certainly do so.

Per HC's link...

FOXBORO, Mass. -- New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick today defended his controversial warrantless wiretapping program in a combative press conference, calling the practice "an essential tool in the war on other teams."

"Those who would criticize this program simply fail to understand the state of the league as it exists today," Belichick said, following six minutes of inscrutable mumbling. "There are teams out there that hate our way of life, our way of winning and are bent on defeating us. We must take any and all measures to avoid that outcome."

Privacy experts and league officials have decried the practice as an unlawful invasion of personal rights. New York Jets rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis said, "This is a disgusting, unconstitutional act that borders on the Orwellian." He then added, "f**k."

Yesterday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell determined that Belichick violated league policy when he authorized the FBI to tap the phones of the coaches of the other 31 NFL teams, as well as a few married women he was creeping with. The league also found he had installed a computer chip inside the brain of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning that causes him to see visions of M.C. Escher drawings.

Goodell said the Patriots could be fined multiple draft picks, likely a total cop-out with all the picks coming in the second day of the draft, as well as docking Patriots quarterback Tom Brady one weekly media suck-off. The Patriots immediately appealed the ruling and Brady pumped his fist menacingly in the direction of Goodell.

"The last thing this league needs is an activist commissioner trying to legislate from his cushy Manhattan office," Belichick bristled. "If we are to maintain stability in this sport, it is imperative that the New England Patriots maintain its status as the lone power atop the NFL. If not, upstart teams like the Jets could plunge the league into chaos and we could find ourselves in a world where we wouldn't know who would win the Super Bowl before the season even started."

funny stuff..atleast they will be the butt of jokes for the season like we were last year due to the players getting arrested and all that stuff.

ok this is the last thing I promise I know it's getting old but this article just about sums it up perfectly..

Belichick: Is Long Suspension in Order?

By now, all football followers have been alerted to the shady undertakings performed at the direction of New England 'genius' Bill Belichick.

The three time Super Bowl winner is accused of deploying one of the teams camera men to record the signals initiated by the NY Jets sideline. This is a clear and heinous violation of the rules of the NFL. And a completely immoral undertaking which flippantly mocks the spirit of good sportsmanship and fair play.

Additionally, undertaking such flaunting and out right rules breaking has to make the rest of the league wonder what other shenanigans are going on or have gone on in New England. This may well just be the tip of the iceberg.

Throw in the recent revelation that at least (and quite possibly more than) one Patriot has been connected to PED usage; and we may well have a situation which is set to tarnish NE's status as the NFL's model franchise.

It's most interesting that all this has come to light after an off season which saw NE stock their roster with an unmatched accumulation of free agent talent. All that money spent. All that talent amassed. What could provoke this need to cheat in more than one phase of the game?

It should be clear.

Belichick's genius, while documented and revered, took a back seat to others last season. And, after the opening Thursday game it was clear that it might take a back seat again this season. Belichick, armed with easily the most stocked roster in the league is terribly insecure.

And jealous.

Tony Dungy.

No more needs to be said on this matter.

What does need to be explored and discussed is commissioner Roger Goodell's reaction. Goodell has ruled with an iron fist. Arbitrarily smiting players for both off field convictions and accusations.

But now, we enter an entirely different aspect of personnel conduct. This is beyond a late hit or a punch thrown in the heat of an emotional combative sport. This is a calculated and planned out effort to sabotage the balance of a game.

Goodell has banned players from participation for their conduct off the field. Using the logic that it portrays the league in a negative light with fans. Fair enough.

He has banned players and a coach for alleged connections to a PED and controlled substance investigation. The notion being that the league can not allow its personnel to be involved in such undertakings. Again, fair enough.

But now, he has a smoking gun connecting the flagship coach of the flagship franchise to a clear action intended to impede the fair and reasonable progress and participation of another team. An action deviously and brazenly carried out in plain site.

If players getting DUI's or disorderly conduct charges levied against them is bad for the game and punishable by multiple game suspensions, what of this conspiracy to cheat on the field? How can this not require a long term suspension?

If Wade Wilson loses 5 games due to his connection to the HGH distributor, because it is bad for the game to have a coach who influences players involved; how can Belichick get anything less? This is beyond a connection. This is beyond simply tarnishing the leagues image through appearances.

Roger Goodell claims he is cleaning up the league's image. He is protecting the game. He is cleaning up the NFL.

Well, if that's the case, it's time to sweep up the dirtiest 'player' out there.

And, it's also time for the rest of us to jump on the Dungy bandwagon and elevate his status straight to the top.

For doing it the right and fair way.

By the way, I have long been annoyed at Peter King's Patriots love and his general star worship, and know that he has spilled a ton of words praising Belichick over the years. More than a ton. So, this morning, I put in a bunch of time and called up some of King's most testicle-sucking moments as it relates to Belichick and crafted a lenghty post at my blog, especially in light of King's silence all week since this story broke.

If you are at all interested, it's here:

http://www.sportsfrog.com/2007/09/peter_ki...ichick_a_br.php

If not, please ignore it, don't mean to spam, and in four years here have never really pointed toward my blog. But, damn, I hate Peter King and his duplicitive nature.

By the way, I have long been annoyed at Peter King's Patriots love and his general star worship, and know that he has spilled a ton of words praising Belichick over the years. More than a ton. So, this morning, I put in a bunch of time and called up some of King's most testicle-sucking moments as it relates to Belichick and crafted a lenghty post at my blog, especially in light of King's silence all week since this story broke.

If you are at all interested, it's here:

http://www.sportsfrog.com/2007/09/peter_ki...ichick_a_br.php

If not, please ignore it, don't mean to spam, and in four years here have never really pointed toward my blog. But, damn, I hate Peter King and his duplicitive nature.

No worries mate, any and all hatred of Peter King is welcome brother...

Btw did you see Dan Weasel's err Wetzel article trying to gloss over Belicheck's actions. Wetzel's been kissing Patriot ass since forever.

Full disclosure, Schatz is a Pats fan, but what the data shows is actually that the Pats have suffered the biggest fall in their effectiveness in the second half versus the first half in the whole league. So if l'il Bill was stealing signals, he seemed to get jack divided by sh*t out of it.

First reaction, so what?

Last season was a down season for the Patriots so I'd expect many of their stats to reflect a poorer performance than you'd find if you crunched the numbers compiled over many years by a team that won multiple championships. Over a longer time period I'd expect to see the 2nd half performance of Belichick's team rise and fall for any number of reasons, just as it would for all NFL teams. However, I'd also expect to see some evidence that supports the boast that Belichick ranks amongst the best in regards to making 2nd half adjustments.

Then again, It's been suggested that Belichick has been cheating in this manner for years, perhaps dating back to his days as head coach of the Browns. And if true, it completely negates claims that the Patriots would be unable to make use of any information gained by the cheating until the 2nd half of games. Instead, they would be able to take advantage of an ever growing backlog of data almost immediately, especially if they were also using illegal radio equipment and banned frequencies to relay the information. And in fact the Patriots were also caught doing just that. The end result of that level of cheating would be a team that actually gameplanned for an opponent using illegal methods.

Finally, the whole issue of how effective the cheating might have been in a blowout against the Jets or in this season but not that one is a red herring that attempts to downgrade the seriousness of the cheating. And efforts to do so remind me of claims that the Steeler dynasty was built on players so talented that they would have won without steroids or when Carmen Policy of the 49'ers was found guilty of attempting to hide the true salary costs of free agents and draft picks that later turned out to be busts.