Patriots Videotaping "cheating" incident

mgilgris

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pack knew...but didn't make a big fuss.

This is untrue. See my earlier post. The NFL simply didn't act on it.

Maybe Roger was too busy busting dopers and drunks at the time.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...olation/?page=2

Personally I think they should lose their first round pick with additional fines or suspensions for some of the guilty parties.

L'il Bill apologizes for...well, something or other...cops to having talked with GOD-el about his "interpretation" of the videotaping rules...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3015478

Fried weasel on a stick, anyone?

Which shows you just how classless the guy really is, he can't even admit to it after being caught red-handed, it's amazing!!!

Is he trying to say he thought it was ok to do what they were doing.

L'il Bill apologizes for...well, something or other...cops to having talked with GOD-el about his "interpretation" of the videotaping rules...

Which shows you just how classless the guy really is, he can't even admit to it after being caught red-handed, it's amazing!!!

And now his boss, Bob Kraft, is now playing the us-against-the-world card by saying the Pats are being targeted for their success.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

And now his boss, Bob Kraft, is now playing the us-against-the-world card by saying the Pats are being targeted for their success.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

Does he mean the success they gained by CHEATING, wtf is going on!!

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo sports has a nice article that says "Yeah the Pats cheat, so what".....But were was this attitude when Barry Bonds was chasing Hank Aaron's record?

Products of the system

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

September 11, 2007

The National Football League's greatest rogue philosopher offered the most succinct and enduring mission statement about the league and the game of football.

"Just win, baby," Oakland Raiders managing partner Al Davis always says, cutting to the chase like no one else.

There is no honor in the NFL. This is our most violent game, a cut-throat, all-out, win-at-all-costs sport where cheating – be it holding on the line, bumping in the secondary, or injecting a drug in the corner of a weight room – is, if not applauded, at the very least accepted.

Each sport has a culture and what people raise hell about in baseball, golf or basketball is mostly shrugged off in the NFL. That this is far and away our most popular sporting pursuit – the new national pastime – says as much about America as it does about the league's morals.

So what to make of the NFL's present-day coaching deity, Bill Belichick, the one who has won three of the last six Super Bowls but now is embroiled in a cheating scandal?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has "determined" that a New England Patriots employee videotaped the New York Jets defensive signals in a 38-14 victory Sunday, according to ESPN. The commissioner awaits the Pats' defense later this week.

So is Belichick the greatest Machiavellian mind in this ruthless game, one who just happened to get caught this time? Or is he just a lout and a cheat?

Is he an NFL problem or is he the NFL; a byproduct of a business where a coach that doesn't seek every last advantage is doomed to fail, like an honest politician?

"I think the Patriots actually live by the saying, 'If you're not cheating, you're not trying,' " said San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Here's the thing with Belichick: this charge fits perfectly with everything we know about him on and off the field. He's no angel, a lifetime of drama that ranged from backing out of contracts, feuding with mentors (Bill Parcells) and protégés (Eric Mangini) alike and even giving the tabloids plenty of fodder for his, ah, extracurricular behavior, if you will.

But it also fits with everything we know about the NFL. Don't coaches hide their mouths when they speak, use multiple sideline signalers and guard playbooks with their lives? Wouldn't they sell their soul to know what an opponent is thinking?

"Really, it's nothing new," said Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin about signal stealing. "When you see offensive coordinators covering their mouth – and that's been going on a long time – that's one of the reasons why that's done.

"You hear rumors of things of that nature," Tomlin said, noting it often comes from the "New England family." "In terms of confirming it, it's never been confirmed in any instance to my knowledge. But usually where there is smoke, there's fire. Those rumors are founded on something. So it's not totally shocking, no."

Not shocking, perhaps. But embarrassing? Absolutely. The Green Bay Packers claim they caught a Patriots employee videotaping their signals a year ago and complained to the NFL.

If New England's defense is as feeble as expected, then the franchise should be punished. The rules are the rules, no matter how often they are broken; no matter the base culture.

Goodell should take a draft pick or even suspend Belichick, who's iron-fisted leadership means no employee would dare try this without his knowledge. Stealing signals via the human eye is one thing. Having an employee use a video camera speaks to an operation that is both brazen and premeditated.

It also shows the depths these coaches will go for a competitive edge. When properly executed, the advantage would be considerable. But in this instance, the risk/reward variable seems painfully small since the Patriots are more than capable of whippin' the Jets all on their own.

Perhaps that's just football. Whether Belichick is actually worse (or better) than any other coach in the league is difficult to determine. All of these coaches are nuts. To be an NFL coach is to work endless 100-hour weeks, sleep in your office and go bleary-eyed looking for the slightest flaw in an opponents’ Tampa 2. Then you wind up losing because a kicker goes wide right.

They sacrifice everything in their lives in pursuit of victories. The casualties are easy to see: health, marriage, children, sanity. It's why NFL football coaches, despite being multimillionaires, are perhaps the single most miserable group of people you'll ever know.

If you are willing to virtually abandon your wife and kids to win a game, what won't you do?

The NFL isn't alone here. Cheating is everywhere. And it can be confusing, each sport has a different culture. In golf, you can't improve your lie an inch, yet in soccer flopping is considered a skill. In baseball, cheating pitchers are colorful but corked-bat hitters are condemned. In NASCAR, a crew chief that isn't pushing the legal limits of engineering isn't doing his job. College sports is often hailed for its "purity," yet illegal recruiting is so prevalent former UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian once surmised, "Nine out of 10 teams are cheating, the other is in last place."

So why expect anything less in the NFL? Fans want victories and nothing else. There are no illusions of purity here. They'll gladly cheer for players who can range from miscreant to felon. The players themselves will vote peers who have been busted taking performance enhancing drugs into the Pro Bowl.

Nobody cares. Nothing matters. If you're not cheating, you're not trying. Just win, baby.

That's the NFL. And that is the world that would lead someone such as Bill Belichick, someone with so much to lose, to insanely risk his reputation on the long shot that a small advantage might provide just one more victory he probably would have gotten anyway.

I think pft had best idea and just let the MLB have a radio like the QB to stop this.

PS,Though I don't get why are teams allowed to take overhead pictures so QB can spot defenses,I would think it's no worse then this.

That's totally different. It's only available after the play. The point of stealing signs is that you can predict what the defensive alignment is going to be on the NEXT play. I still believe the relative advantage is slight, but that only makes the doing of the deed that much stupider. And to get caught.....repeatedly, I think that's what seems most obnoxious about the whole thing. And yes....I agree that Belichick is a douche.

The Pack knew...but didn't make a big fuss.

This is untrue. See my earlier post. The NFL simply didn't act on it.

As far as I've seen, the Packers didn't report anything to the NFL, they simply tossed the guy out.

Actually, they were so embarrassed to be getting beat as bad as they were, that they didn't want to look small by making a big deal of it.

Which, again, raises the question, just what is Bill Belichick's mental damage that he is resorting to that kind of thing, even when he doesn't have to?

ESPN's Mike and Mike are reporting that their sources list the offense as "DAMNING and OVERWHELMING! And the repercussions should be SEVERE from Goodell's office....." Sportscenter is saying they expect the Pats to lose ONE DRAFT PICK and their assessment of that lost pick is a SEVERE PUNISHMENT?????? I say BULL! One pick is NOT SEVERE ENOUGH IMO......

Does GODell follow suit as with his previous string of STRONG rulings?

Or does he bow and go easy on one of the leagues "darling" organizations?

IMO? Belichek suspension? Absolutely? He's a bum. His players using HGH and his reported AFFAIR with an NFL secretary.

CHEATING and yes - CHEATING! Coaching Genius? NO! This should change HIS legacy!

Lost draft picks? Hell yes and it better be more than one and they'd better be much HIGHER than the 7th round pick that ESPN mentions!

This is NOT a first offense....This is obviously a pattern of how the Pats play (CHEAT) and the punishment MUST be extreme!

AS Mike and Mike's NFL source says...this IS "Damning and Overwhelming" for the Patriots and the league should act accordingly.

The NFL fans nationwide ARE watching this as it is now the #1 story....Goodell can't sweep this under the rug easily.

On a side note....after reading the article posted by my bro' Billy.

It mentioned cheating in "other sports" such as the runner sliding hard into 2nd base to break up the double play.

I don't remember the name of the writer of that article but I stopped reading when I read that statement.

TAKING OUT THE 2nd BASEMENT IS PART OF THE GAME - ABSOLUTELY! It is not cheating any more than "low-bridging" is by Shortstops or 2nd basement making the play. I played organized baseball since I was 5 and just hung up the cleats about 4 years ago....I am 47.

Breaking up the double play is taught at EVERY level of the game as is throwing at the runner's head when a runner tries to come in high and hard.

I have done both and it is understood by "real ballplayers" that a clean hard slide at 2nd is a good play and it is understood if you don't want your head taken off as a runner, you'd better get down.

OK....Off my soapbox....

BOOT BELICHEK!

Which, again, raises the question, just what is Bill Belichick's mental damage that he is resorting to that kind of thing, even when he doesn't have to?

Well, clearly he (and likely other teams) have been doing this for quite some time. And clearly everyone knows -- look at how every coach and coordinator covers their mouths on the sideline now, no matter who they are playing. And even when a team gets caught, nothing (until now) happens. Under those circumstance, when you have a rule that 1. no one obeys and 2. no one enforces, it would be kind of stupid if Belichick didn't do what he was doing.

Now, obviously l'il Bill broke the rules, so right or wrong he deserves whatever sanction GOD-el meets out. My question is, exactly what's the rule here? As far as I can tell from the coverage, the rule he broke involves videotaping another teams' defensive signals from the sideline. So...if he instead just had two guys, one with binoculars and another with a notebook to write down what he was seeing, would that be OK? If a defensive lineman can pick up on a QB's signals after a couple quarters, is it wrong for him to act on that knowledge?

As to your last part, of course not, hoosier. In that situation, that is fair play to one team if they have a guy who is that sharp. But the NFL has drawn a sharp line regarding what is unacceptable, and, as a lawyer, who is always interested in sharp lines (makes it easier to litigate with certainty), that is why Belichick should get slammed from the league. There is apparently no gray area here. Rule: no cameras. The NFL has distinguished between that and other ways teams try and divine signals which are apparently OK. That the Pats broke the rule makes me not care about the potential gray. From the NFL's perspective, no gray here. So I don't need to worry about the what ifs...

By the way, CP in his presser on 1530 just said some hysterical stuff about the Pats situation:

"Penalty? How about they forfeit the 4th game of the year?"

Drew a big laugh.

Look for it archived on bengals.com if you missed it.

I still think the only rational penalty, that will accomplish anything, is to take away the win.

Fines and loss of draft picks dont mean anything to them, FA can fill any need and they have money to burn.

A suspension of the Coach is the next best option, but it had better be at least 4 games, like all the Steriod/HGH cheaters have been getting.

Random thoughts....

You can feel the story building day by day as the media gets a better understanding of what happened. Once they get a taste for this type of blood...the frenzy will begin to grow.

So far the best defense seems to be built upon the..."everybody does it, it doesn't help you much"....rant, but it seems obvious that it does have the potential to help quite a bit, both over an entire game and just prior to critical plays.

Videotaping is something that everyone understands, but most reactions to date seem to ignore the very serious implications of the Patriots using transmitters and multiple radio frequencies. If players were wired, as has been rumored, I'd expect this story to explode.

Bob Golic stated that the penalty has to be severe not only because the Patriots have been caught before, but also because at league meetings Goodell warned all teams about this type of cheating. Now we have being caught in the opening week...completely ignoring Goodell's warning. Due to the ignored warning Golic expects a suprisingly heavy penalty.

Pretty sure the Patriots have TWO 1st round picks in the coming draft. (I like the idea of taking ALL of their picks.)

Edit: Not sure what happened to my brain today, but the above post should read Belichick, not Billick, and Mike Golic, not Bob Golic.

Bob Golic stated that the penalty has to be severe not only because the Patriots have been caught before, but also because at league meetings Goodell warned all teams about this type of cheating. Now we have Billick being caught in the opening week...completely ignoring Goodell's warning. Due to the ignored warning Golic expects a suprisingly heavy penalty.

Yeah, it's like Vick lying to Goodell's face. Roger is definitely going to feel dissed (and rightly so). I don't think he'll be inclined to give much ear to the Pats' arguments on Friday.

Personally, if I had to select a punishment, I would say that for the rest of the season and postseason (if any) the Pats are only allowed to send in defensive signals via a large lighted sign.

From nfl.com, the relevant rules & letter...

Patriots under investigation for following rules, guidelines violations ...

1. Page 105 of the Game Operations manual says: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

2. And, a memo from Ray Anderson, NFL head of football operations, to head coaches and GMs on Sept. 6, 2006 said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Hmmm. I'm no lawyer but I don't see much subject to "interpretation" there, Belichick.

Bob Golic stated that the penalty has to be severe not only because the Patriots have been caught before, but also because at league meetings Goodell warned all teams about this type of cheating. Now we have Billick being caught in the opening week...completely ignoring Goodell's warning. Due to the ignored warning Golic expects a suprisingly heavy penalty.

Yeah, it's like Vick lying to Goodell's face. Roger is definitely going to feel dissed (and rightly so). I don't think he'll be inclined to give much ear to the Pats' arguments on Friday.

Yeah, I'd like to think that, but I have a feeling that this is where we find out that it's one thing if it's the Bengals and something else competely if it's the Pats (or the Colts, etc.). Face it, despite the Vick lying to his face thing, Goodell has gotten away with doing the least possible to Vick thus far. He started out by saying "let's wait til the charges are decided" and only backed away from that when it became overwhelmingly obvious that Vick was going to be guilty. In fact, he hasn't done anything except keep him from playing this season -- which is something the Falcons probably would've done themselves out of public pressure alone. Yeah, I think this one will be less than everybody expects.