QB's

combatbengal

Rowe sure did look great in his limited appearance :-)

As Munoz pointed out....poise, touch, arm, and mobility.....very nice. I've seen the pick slammed on many websites, including this one, and I have to say he seems *well* worth the r5 pick so far.

But....it was just one series against folks who for the most part won't be on a roster come Week 1. Encouraging, but not convincing enough to warrant a move to number 2. It DOES warrant him a LOT more time next week, imho.

He needs to play a series against number 2's next week and maybe a couple series ,if he can do that, against starters in practice.

I was at the game and someone needs to let Doug Johnson know that a 3 step drop is only three steps not 50 moving his feet and not getting settled equals a loser QB that shouldn't be in the NFL let alone bagging groceries because he'd probably miss tha damn bag doing that.

Loser!!!!

Doug Johnson was the guy everyone wanted to be the #2 last year because he looked so much better than Wright in the pre-season. I'm telling you... playing in the 4th quarter of pre-season games doesn't tell you much of anything. Look at Doug Johnson for incredibly recent proof.

That's why Rowe needs more snaps to be evaluated. Doug Johnson is another year older and another year removed from playing on a weekly basis (I think he had like 10 starts in Atlanta in 2003) so I'd say he's lost whatever talent he had to be drafted into the NFL to begin with.

I'm telling you... playing in the 4th quarter of pre-season games doesn't tell you much of anything.

Yup. Even Akili looked good mopping up in preseason tilts. Rowe's success is encouraging but promoting him over Dougie right now is not at all warranted. As for getting a better No. 2 than Johnson, well, that'd be nice but unless Wright shakes loose from the NYG, there's no one they could bring up to speed on the O in time.

Doug Johnson was the guy everyone wanted to be the #2 last year because he looked so much better than Wright in the pre-season. I'm telling you... playing in the 4th quarter of pre-season games doesn't tell you much of anything. Look at Doug Johnson for incredibly recent proof.

It wasn't me because I knew he still sucked ass , There was a reason he was a 3rd string QB in Atalanta and no one wanted him,Wright atleast had some success in real games...I don't know if Rowe will do better then Doug but I rather see Rowe get developed rather then waste snaps on doug who is always going to suck...even if our defense was top 3 this year I doubt we'd win with doug.

We'll see what happens the next two weeks, but I'm amused that the Bengals' staff thinks Johnson "just needs reps."

Why not use this opportunity to get your future #2 that you spent a draft pick on, to get some experience? Give him a quarter.

Of course Rowe isn't going to replace Johnson as the #2 unless he fails miserably if called upon this year, God forbid, but now would be the time to get him some reps.

You know what you have in Doug Johnson, and even a guy like Kenny Watson. Why they played so much last night seemed odd to me.

Yes Rowe played against third string guys, but he looked faster, smoother, made better reads, etc then Doug did all game. Doug's played 5 to 5 1/2 quarter thus far this preseason and he hasn't been able to get the ball in the end sone. Rowe has played two to threes series and both were were successful. He put us in position to win last week. and this week he got us a TD! I agree with giving him more time. After all we used a draft pick on him.

Johnson has been a big disappointment to me this preseason. He just seems a step slow and a second behind on everything he does. I was surprised at Mark Curnutte's glowing praise of him in today's Enquirer because I never got the feeling he was in command of anything last night. I must have been watching a different game last night. First and goal at the 3 and we get minus 4 yards. That is simply unacceptable.

I think part of the reason that Johnson played so much with the #1's was that the Bengals want to give him an extended look. And based off of what I have seen I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go after the final cuts. Someone better is going to be available like Anthony Wright or Tim Hasselbeck from the Giants or Kelly Holcomb with the Eagles.

However, I think Rowe is still too green to be promoted to #2 and he will remain the number 3 this year.

I don't think Johnson has been nearly as terrible as many people here have claimed. He hasn't been anything special either, but honestly I think calling for him to be demoted in favor of Jeff Rowe after two preseason games is a bit absurd.

I would rather watch Randell_El line up at QB than DJ. Nough Said

Yes Rowe played against third string guys, but he looked faster, smoother, made better reads, etc then Doug did all game. Doug's played 5 to 5 1/2 quarter thus far this preseason and he hasn't been able to get the ball in the end sone. Rowe has played two to threes series and both were were successful. He put us in position to win last week. and this week he got us a TD! I agree with giving him more time. After all we used a draft pick on him.

First of all, it's not fair to call the 4th quarter of preseason games "3rd stringers." 3rd stringers are usually in the 3rd quarter. the 4th quarter are for guys fighting for the practice squad most of the time.

Secondly, last year against "3rd stringers" Doug Johnson had a passer rating of 109.3. Compare that to his current passer rating of 72.7 to show the real talent differential between the 2nd and 4th quarter in preseason games. Rowe's 107 passer rating would be 30 to 40 points lower if he was playing in the 2nd quarter. I'm not saying he shouldn't get a chance to get more reps... but there is no way he should be promoted to the #2 based on anything we've seen thus far.

Put me in the camp of thinking Rowe should get more snaps, but I also don't think there is any way of putting him at #2 over Dougie. I've never been a fan of Dougie boy, but if you make Rowe the #2, there is no reason to even carry Doug on the roster at that point...

WHODEY !!!

I'd like to see Rowe get more reps with the second string just to see what he has. We KNOW what we have in Johnson. However it is unlikely that Rowe will see any more than the same against Atlanta because Carson should play into the third. If Johnson is your no 2 (and I believe he should still be the no 2) then he'll get a bit of time. Rowe will get an extended look against Indy so that neither Carson or Johnson get dinged.