Expert Predictions Week 2

HoosierCat

Well, Vinny Iyer says give the points...and then some...

Cleveland at Cincinnati. The NFL's version of Battle for Ohio is like the college version of Ohio State vs. insert other state school here. This is the game where Carson Palmer is unleashed 2005-style to thrill his home fans, where the Bengals' underrated, improving defense continues to tee off on a team experiencing line problems. The Browns are the odd team out in a brutal AFC North, and they don't have enough to keep up with their intrastate rivals. Bengals 41, Browns 14.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsQY...n&type=lgns

Prisco (well, not him) & Co. like us...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks

Looks like PFW learned its lesson...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Handi...elections02.htm

And ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

At least Theismann has it right. Oh, well, blind squirrel & acorn, right? :lol:

My favorite prognosticator is Walters' Football Site - looks at the minutia from both a fan's and bettors perspective: Walters Predictions Week 2

The most fun one is those lovable lunatics at Pigskin Addictions - looks at life from a (losing) Fantasy Football perspective: Pigskin Picks Week 2

ESPN rankings are continuing to come in... now it's 4-0 Bengals. It's also 2-1 Jags over Steelers.

The opinions of the guys I actually look for are Jaws and Hoge... because I know those guys break down tape before they make their picks.

Anyway... the real reason I'm posting this is to bump the thread up so I don't forget to check it again tomorrow when the rest of the picks come in.

I actually think Pitt has a better chance this week with Batch under center. Jen looks a little frail already this season. I'd hate for him getting hurt this week and the stiller faithful to whip out the excuses when we roll into town next weekend.

This game has to be one of the easiest picks of the week, your virtual no brainer. Hell, even Cleveland fans aren't drinking their Koolaide over this game! Still...you gotta watch those sneaky Browns; they are capable of stepping up when it comes to playing the Bengals. :bengal:

They might be banged up, they might be in disaray, they might be Cleveland - but they'll still play hard for this one. Nothing to lose, pride at stake, rivalry etc etc

Bengals 31 - 24 Browns

PLAY BALL!

Well, someone picked the Browns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;lid=tab4pos1

(Scroll down to bottom of page, look at the Sports Gals picks in the side column).

As for myself, considering the loss of TJ, our tendency to run the ball with the lead, and the Browns being fired up up, I think the Browns have a good chance of keeping this close. On the other hand, Carson really wants to show off. :bengal:

Bengals 31, Browns 16.

I watched the DVD of the second Browns game last season. The one where Frye started. I had a couple observations.

Palmer had his worst NFL start... but Rudi tore them up! Rudi had more rushing yards than the entire Browns offense part of the way through the 4th quarter. He simply dominated them.

Secondly... their offense is bad! We had some terrible penalites and bad special teams play that resulted in them dominating in field position and time of possession. Their average drive started on their own 41 yard line. Our defense (that relied on turnovers) only forced 1 turnover in the game. We had given up 105 points in the previous 3 games (yep... that's an average of 35 points/game) against Indy, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Despite all of those circumstances, they still only managed 20 points and 208 yards.

I especially noticed that Frye was the worst NFL QB I've ever seen when it comes to reading the blitz. It surprised him every single time. He made no adjustments and was overwhelmed by the pressure. He would either attempt to scramble around and usually get almost nothing, or throw desperation passes (a few of which should have been picked off).

Palmer didn't have his accuracy for whatever reason. If he had been better, we would have blown them out. This is what I expect Sunday. Our defense is improved and Palmer won't again have the worst start of his career. The Browns are in for a long day...

But I'm sticking with my lower scoring prediction 23-6. Rudi pounds them into submission and we dominate the time of possession.

Experts...yeah right.. most of them were 10-6 or 9-7 for the week..

I agree the term expert is used loosely, but 9-7 was a good record last week. Did you expect Denver to lose at home? Buffallo to play New England so close? The Ravens to blank the Bucs? Even the lions almost upset the NFC favorite to reach the superbowl. I just think that record should not be scoffed at for week 1. If you went better then 10 - 6 maybe you should right a prediction column, I'd be willing to read it (this it not sarcasm).

Experts...yeah right.. most of them were 10-6 or 9-7 for the week..

I agree the term expert is used loosely, but 9-7 was a good record last week. Did you expect Denver to lose at home? Buffallo to play New England so close? The Ravens to blank the Bucs? Even the lions almost upset the NFC favorite to reach the superbowl. I just think that record should not be scoffed at for week 1. If you went better then 10 - 6 maybe you should right a prediction column, I'd be willing to read it (this it not sarcasm).

No doubt. I've been participating for years in 'fun' on-line groups both vs. spread and straight-up. Strangely, neither is easy. I think the best week I have ever had is something 12-4, but usually it's 9-7 (I've also had my bad weeks of 5-11, etc). Anyway, the point is that if you have never tried to predict the things (especially against the spread), you should try it. Amazingly more difficult than you think.