Phins vs. Steelers

Ox

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought the new venue would do Culpepper good. He was horrific. Single handedly lost them that game. Pitt didn't really look that good as compared to Miami just looked that bad in the fourth quarter. I hope Pitt fans start crowing about that win, because it would show just how little they actually watch when they see games.

I haven't read thru the thread, but just to give my impressions, in no particular order...

...officiating sucked on both sides. I thought Taylor had a pick in the end zone. That hands to the face penalty that saved Pitt was ticky tack BS. And of course the non-TD TD by Miller. And the non-call on the obvious pass interference that would have gone in Pitt's favor. Zebras blew.

...can't say much about Pitt's O with Batch in but I was not impressed with their o-line, either in protection or run blocking. Parker had a couple good runs but for the most part was contained.

...Pitt D didn't impress me either. They got some presssure on Culpepper the first couple drives but after that he had time. They got run on by some guy named what, Brown? All the picks were bad passes thrown straight to the defenders (Dante sucks).

...either Miami has the world's most unsung return guy (Welker? Weller?) or Pitt's kick coverage sucks.

...I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone miss a FG attempt that badly.

Once again I ask the question ... why not keep throwing against this defense?

No doubt...Steelers were giving "Bungles" 10-yard cushions on the corners. There were at least 4-5 plays tonight where Culpepper just took one step and tossed laterally to the wideout, who picked up five before the corner could close. Again, I saw nothing scary about the Pitt pass D, all their ppicks came on horrible throws, and not even on ones pushed by pressure.

Culpepper is awful! Every f**king pass he's thrown tonight has been underthrown.

Yeah, I made that remark to a friend watching the game with me about halfway through the first. He was throwing balls in the dirt all night. When he wasn't just throwing them straight to the guys in the black uniforms.

Yeah, you have to look at Pitts special teams. Horrific to say the least. They botched recieving the ball after punts TWICE, gave up a couple of nice returns, one that basically handed a TD to Miami, and they shanked a field goal. They better address that problem quickly or else it will bite them in the butt soon.

I agree with the overall sentiment that Dante was awful last night, and it has nothing to do with the interceptions at the end.

The first half was ugly...throwing low, throwing high. Sucks, since Chris Chambers was my 1st WR in the BZ fantasy league :rolleyes:

This morning, on ESPN, they were talking about how good Culpepper looked before he threw the picks. Were they actually watching the game, or some old footage from 5 seasons ago?

Hey Kazkal,

We had to come from BEHIND in the 4th quarter with our backup QB. Kinda makes Cincy's complaint about not being able to keep a lead as a s**tty argument, huh?

Now their high on batch

It's kind of like shooting ducks in the barrel trying to correct the logical consistencies of a town (Pissburgh) with a collective IQ of about 85. However, for those Squealer fans who didn't actually watch the game, Batch didn't win it. Culpepper lost it through his inability to hit open receivers. Those picks were horrrrrrible throws. I lost track the many skip-passes and throws 5 feet behind the receiver. And that WTF? moment in the end zone where he missed a receiver by 5 yards (announcers swear that wasn't a busted route). Actually, that performance reminded me a lot of Kordell Stewart, right down to the two consecutive picks in the 4th quarter. If only Culpepper was crying on the sideline between them. Maybe he was.

How about this, Pissburgh - last year our D got 5 picks from Culpepper. We most certainly could have won *that* game without Palmer.

Given the preseason hype for both teams, I expected a better overall performance by both teams.

Glaring weaknesses????

PITT Special teams

Culpepper, Culpepper, and Culpepper

Nick Saban's red flag throwing abilities

PITT fans thinking they beat a good team last night

:bengal:

OK, I'm going to take heat here, but I'm going to dangle them out there...

I thought the Steelers defense looked better than I thought they would going into game one and in the end, it was their defense that sealed this game. Their blitzing was on point and forced Culpepper to have the crappy game he did. Culpepper looked like hell, but I think it was due to the P-Burg defense and not just the fact that Culpepper blew goat nuts.

I thought Batch did a better than average job and if the P-Burg offense doesn't make many glaring mistakes this year, their defense will keep them in it for the majority of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Steelers as much as any team out there, but are people letting their hate get in the way of being able to be objective ??

Culpepper will be alright and Miami will be alright as well. Pittsburgh is a better than average team.

BLAST AWAY !!!

WHODEY !!!

Usually can't stand Jerry Porter but I got to give him points for that sack where he did the little Culpepper rolling of his arms. Got so sick of seeing that Madden commerical where Culpepper does that.... BAM!

Bush league. If I'm a Miami lineman, next time he blitzes I tear out his knee for showing up my QB.

That's a TO move, which is exactly what I expect from Joey "I take my shoes off to count" Porter.

Pittsburgh is a better than average team.

I don't see how you'd get any argument on that. And I don't think their D looked bad...but it didn't look dominating, either. Yeah, they had some good blitzes, but those came mostly after they failed to get pressure without blitzing. Culpepper was rushed a bit on the first couple of series, but once the game settled in he usually had time to throw. Brown didn't get a lot of yards on the ground, but got 'em when they needed 'em for 2 TDs.

I dunno, we'll see as the season progresses. As for Batch, he reminded me of Kitna, right down to the goal line fumble.

Usually can't stand Jerry Porter but I got to give him points for that sack where he did the little Culpepper rolling of his arms. Got so sick of seeing that Madden commerical where Culpepper does that.... BAM!

Bush league. If I'm a Miami lineman, next time he blitzes I tear out his knee for showing up my QB.

That's a TO move, which is exactly what I expect from Joey "I take my shoes off to count" Porter.

Well, us Bengals fans....we'd know about knee injuries, huh?

Pittsburgh is a better than average team.

I don't see how you'd get any argument on that. And I don't think their D looked bad...but it didn't look dominating, either. Yeah, they had some good blitzes, but those came mostly after they failed to get pressure without blitzing. Culpepper was rushed a bit on the first couple of series, but once the game settled in he usually had time to throw. Brown didn't get a lot of yards on the ground, but got 'em when they needed 'em for 2 TDs.

I dunno, we'll see as the season progresses. As for Batch, he reminded me of Kitna, right down to the goal line fumble.

I guess my bigger point to this is, it's the first game of the season after a pre-season where not many starters got a lot of reps and things will continue to progress. I think we just saw a stronger Steelers team going against a team with a new QB, coming back from injury. I should have known to pick the Steelers, but got caught up in the Big Ben going down thing. Anyone could be inserted into their offense, because their defense is good !!!

WHODEY !!!

The one thing that stood out in this game was how bad the officiating was. Bad calls on both teams and many uncalled holding/illegal block penalties and an uncalled roughing the passer on Zach Thomas. The good thing is it did not seem to affect the outcome all that much.

I hope that the officiating improves this season, the last two games that I have watched have been two of the worst I have ever seen by a NFL crew.

The one thing that stood out in this game was how bad the officiating was. Bad calls on both teams and many uncalled holding/illegal block penalties and an uncalled roughing the passer on Zach Thomas. The good thing is it did not seem to affect the outcome all that much.

I hope that the officiating improves this season, the last two games that I have watched have been two of the worst I have ever seen by a NFL crew.

Yeah, there was one big Parker run on which he was sprung by a blatent block in the back/tackle that I didn't see how they could have missed. On the Thomas non-call, I really couldn't tell if he made significant contact with Batch; looked like he may have brushed one side and Batch bounced right up. He might have got the call if he'd put on a little "ow I'm hurt" act. But I agree, officiating stank.

The other thing that I noticed was, did someone steal all the Steeler' cleats or grease their soles or something? I lost count of the number of times guys just slipped and went down without contact.