Week 2 Note: Browns Hurtin'

HoosierCat

I know, I know, KC first, Cleveland later, but I was scrolling through kffl and noticed that Cleveland has nearly 20% of the team on the injury report...

Browns | Russell doubtful for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:53:44 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns S Brian Russell (elbow) is doubtful for Week 1. He did not practice Wednesday, Sept. 6.

Browns | McCutcheon out for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:52:12 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns CB Daylon McCutcheon (knee) is out for Week 1. He did not practice Wednesday, Sept. 6. Instead, he rode a bike on the sidelines.

Browns | Baxter practicing?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:51:16 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns CB Gary Baxter (pectoral) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6.

Browns | Andruzzi practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:50:51 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns OG Joe Andruzzi (ankle) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6. He is questionable for Week 1.

Browns | Bodden practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:50:31 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns CB Leigh Bodden (pectoral) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6. He is questionable for Week 1.

Browns | Dinkins practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:49:39 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns TE Darnell Dinkins (knee) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6. He is questionable for Week 1.

Browns | Dorsey practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:49:21 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns OT Nat Dorsey (ankle) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6. He is questionable for Week 1.

Browns | Perkins practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:48:52 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns CB Antonio Perkins (groin) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6. He is questionable for Week 1.

Browns | Sowells practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:48:34 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns OG Isaac Sowells (ankle) practiced Wednesday, Sept. 6. He is questionable for Week 1.

Browns | Unck practicing, questionable for Week 1?Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:46:08 -0700

Scott Petrak reports Cleveland Browns LB Mason Unck (knee) is questionable for Week 1 and missed portions of practice Wednesday, Sept. 6.

Awful early to be that banged up in this division.

This brings up an interesting subject I considered posting as a new thread earlier... but decided not to. I think the Cleveland game could be a trap game.

If we beat KC, we'll be forced to play Cleveland right before heading to Pittsburgh. It will be essential to focus... especially since they are a divisional foe, and always come ready to play.

Another possible trap game is Oakland between our two prime time games.

Crennel learned under Belichick. Pats regularly put half of Massachusetts on their injury report, then pretty much play everybody. I won't put too much into it until we see who actually hits the field on Sunday for them...

Poor Brownies. They'll be walking into a buzz saw next week at PBS with a fired-up homer opener crowd.

I do not see the Bengals' winning at Pitt week 3, but, they are capable of it certainly. Bengals' offense looked a little shaky yesterday without TJ or 2-carry Perry - hopefully this Sunday will prove to be a nice elixir for their rustiness.

Some more notes via kffl...sounds like frye took a beating yesterday...

Browns | Frye limping and sore; but should be OK

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:39:33 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports besides needing treatment for dehydration after the game, Cleveland Browns QB Charlie Frye was limping in the locker room. "I took some good hits and I'm sore, but I'll be ready (for Cincinnati next week) ," he said.

Browns | Dinkins injured Week 1

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:37:19 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns TE Darnell Dinkins (hamstring) left the team's Week 1 game with a hamstring injury and did not return.

Browns | Injury update: N. Eason

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:36:03 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns DL Nick Eason (ankle) suffered a right ankle injury during the team's Week 1 game.

I caught (went and saw live) the Saints' third pre-season game which was played in Jackson, MS against the Colts and can report that the Saints D-line was active as hell that game and put Manning on the ground a few times in the first half with a pretty good rush. I am guessing that Frye is very very sore given the state of his o-line and the quality of New Orleans' d-line.

And, I am guessing, that he will be even more sore next Monday, as Cincy's d-line should be able to take advantage of the still-jelling Cleveland line as well...

Early in the week yet...

Things to keep in mind when talking about inter-divisional games and expecially rivalry games like Browns-Bengals...

it is a DIVISIONAL game, no matter how bad either side is, these are usually pretty good tilts

...but an injury report like this cannot be good news.

:bengal:

do you suppose the same guys that impersonated the Bengals D will show up again and lock those other guys in the closet?

:lmao:

Early in the week yet...

Things to keep in mind when talking about inter-divisional games and expecially rivalry games like Browns-Bengals...

it is a DIVISIONAL game, no matter how bad either side is, these are usually pretty good tilts

...but an injury report like this cannot be good news.

:bengal:

do you suppose the same guys that impersonated the Bengals D will show up again and lock those other guys in the closet?

I hope so. I was pretty happy last year, despite our D having huge holes in it. They had moments of brilliance in an otherwise less-than-mediochre showing. If we really are as solid as we look, those moments of brilliance can win us a trip to the playoffs, maybe farther. It's too early to tell how good we actually are but wow am I fired up.

Regardless of it being a Division game or not (They are usually close regardless of record) I think the Bengals are going to kick the living sh*t out of the Browns on Sunday. There just isn't enough there for the Browns to make this happen and with Jureivicus out, they have who, Winslow ?? Bengals win by at least 17...

WHODEY !!!

The Browns have plenty of issues on the offensive line just like the Chiefs did... This game will be a nice chance for the defensive line to prove they can consistently get that kind of pass rush. Frye isn't going to have much time to throw the ball... This game should be complete destruction. It's a division game though, and they made it close in Cincy last year.

Did anyone catch the end of the Browns game? They had a real chance to win the game but a wide open Braylon Edwards dropped a perfectly thrown pass...tipping it into the air....resulting in an interception.

The first thing I thought of was the television commercial where Edwards puts on a blindfold and catches pass after pass in true Zen style.

:lol:

The Browns have plenty of issues on the offensive line just like the Chiefs did... This game will be a nice chance for the defensive line to prove they can consistently get that kind of pass rush. Frye isn't going to have much time to throw the ball... This game should be complete destruction. It's a division game though, and they made it close in Cincy last year.
I agree, I'm loving what we've seen from the Defense so far but good Defenses bring it every week no matter who they play & if they're for real this one shouldn't be close unless their Defense plays well.

This brings up an interesting subject I considered posting as a new thread earlier... but decided not to. I think the Cleveland game could be a trap game.

If we beat KC, we'll be forced to play Cleveland right before heading to Pittsburgh. It will be essential to focus... especially since they are a divisional foe, and always come ready to play.

I see what you're saying but I don't see this game as being a trap game since it's a division game also it's the home opener they're going to be fired up ! I loved what Marvin said about" he doesn't even know who they play next week" Now the Oakland game I agree could have all the makings for a trap game.

I see what you're saying but I don't see this game as being a trap game since it's a division game also it's the home opener they're going to be fired up ! I loved what Marvin said about" he doesn't even know who they play next week" Now the Oakland game I agree could have all the makings for a trap game.

I thought that was hilarious. You could see in his face that it was an absolute lie. Of course he knew who we were playing next. He even mentioned getting ready for the Browns later on in the interview.

Anyway... I agree. It's not a trap game in the traditional sense, because I don't really see this as a game we will lose. It's a trap game in the college football sense. Like Ohio State almost getting beat by Cincinnati a couple years ago. Ultimately it was a win... but it was scary, and it was ugly.

I think the Browns game could be much the same... Last year it was against Houston. We should have beaten them by 30... but barely won at all. I think we'll be able to completely shut down their offense, and we'll get out to an early lead.... but we won't run it up. It will look a lot like the Chiefs game. Palmer won't throw the ball 30 times... he'll hand it off 40. We'll win by double digits... but not the way we're used to. Low scoring is a thing of beauty!

Line on the game opened with the Bengals as 11, count 'em 11-point favorites.

Worthwhile observation from Don Banks today...

• The curse of the Browns center lives on. Newly acquired Hank Fraley, the 117th guy to play the position for Cleveland since the start of training camp, had a memorable debut at home against the Saints. He gave up three sacks to New Orleans defensive tackle Brian Young, which were more than Young recorded in the past two seasons combined, a span of 31 starts.

Line on the game opened with the Bengals as 11, count 'em 11-point favorites.

Worthwhile observation from Don Banks today...

• The curse of the Browns center lives on. Newly acquired Hank Fraley, the 117th guy to play the position for Cleveland since the start of training camp, had a memorable debut at home against the Saints. He gave up three sacks to New Orleans defensive tackle Brian Young, which were more than Young recorded in the past two seasons combined, a span of 31 starts.

Double digits...Nice!

That could go up depending on TJ's status....