Training Camp Thread 2022

membengal

Great news on Zach Carter.   D-line rotation is a concern of mine.     I saw on another board and it is briefly mentioned in the nugget posted above by Mem that Jackson Carmen can handle Carter (who is said to be dominant).

Good signs all the way around.     Also mentioned on other TC reports Carmen dominates the LG starting reps (as in number) so you can vaguely assume that he's doing what needs to be done. 

Another concern of mine was an extended rotation at LG due to failures of Carmen and the Steelers in the opener.    Hopefully this continues in the right direction.

Glad to hear the news from Pollack about Carman looking really good to this point.
I had made many comments last year that I wanted to see him being given snaps at LG from day 1 in this year's camps and lets see how it goes.  He was a LT at Clemson and I just felt moving him to the RG spot was a mistake.  Couple that with what was discussed about his undisciplined approach and weight and it just wasn't going to work.  Not sure if his off field stuff motivated him to get his shit together or not, but for the sake of the team, I hope he fucking dominates at that LG spot.

Saw that Carter clip - he looks tough and that will be a major boon if he can produce as a rookie and play well. 

Carman collapsing the pocket with the misread outside and inability to square-up and getting pushed back - meh.  At least he kept him in front.  God I hope he's improved and can play at a higher level than he has.  Just once they need to draft a guy that isn't a top 10 OT who can play.

13 hours ago, membengal said:

Yeah that's a pretty decent job by Carman.   Carter has to float over to the other hash to create an inside angle and still could not get there. 

Took about 5 seconds to whistle blows. 

Good balance by Carman and weight distribution.

It's a loss in the blocking department if it lasts any meaningful time. I think it would lock Wilcox onto the roster, but he's a special teamer primarily anyway. It might finally open the door for Moss. I wonder if they'd go sniffing for a blocking type elsewhere though.

Notes from Morrison's post-practice article:

Quick hits
• Hubbard and Hendrickson had their way in one-on-ones, which included a little post-rep altercation with D’Ante Smith. Nothing materialized, but plenty of dog-days-of-camp chatter during the most physical session yet.

• Cordell Volson had a few reps in one-on-ones that were exactly the kind of rough patches you expect from a fourth-round rookie, including a near whiff against Cam Sample.

• At one point as third-round pick Zach Carter was enjoying a string of impressive reps in one-on-ones, defensive line coach Marion Hobby sent him back for one more and fired out, “beat his ass again!”

• Joseph Ossai continues to show his explosiveness off the edge and looks ready to live up the expectations built in his preseason debut last year.

• In the receiver/DB one-on-ones, rookie Cam Taylor-Britt had a second consecutive rough practice. The second-round pick allowed receptions to Trenton Irwin and Kendric Pryor and got beaten deep by Kwamie Lassiter only to have Allen overthrow the undrafted rookie receiver. With Apple sitting out, undrafted rookie Allan George got some first-team reps ahead of Taylor-Britt, but Anarumo tried to deflect any meaning behind that, saying, “Just how practice went today. Don’t read into that one. They’re both still competing.”

• Rookie first-round pick Dax Hill had great coverage against Irwin on a deep pass and knocked the ball loose at the last second. He also had a PBU against Chase, although he might have come over the receiver’s back as an official was discussing the play with him afterward.

• Lassiter had the most impressive catch in the session, hauling in a short cross from Allen despite Hood holding one of his arms on what would have been an obvious pass interference call.

• The Evan McPherson train keeps on rolling as the kicker went six-for-six on field goals of 45, 49, 50, 53, 53 and 54 yards. Special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons mixed up the battery on those attempts, with Clark Harris snapping to holder Drue Chrisman, and Cal Adomitis snapping to Kevin Huber.

Bengals had a national spot for Snickers commercial during NBC's broadcast.   Bengals fan has painted tiger face waiting in doctor's office.    "Who Dey" scrolled on the forehead.    "used wrong paint".   

Can't remember the snickers tag line to end the spot.

• Thanks 1

At one point as third-round pick Zach Carter was enjoying a string of impressive reps in one-on-ones, defensive line coach Marion Hobby sent him back for one more and fired out, “beat his ass again!”

My question is... Who's ass was Carter beating again and again ??
Good for Carter though and good on Hobby for firing him up like that.
They are going to need him in the rotation.

Ya know, no matter what good news comes from camp, it is bad news at the expense of someone else. My default setting has been always to focus on the good news in camp. For all the shit the bengals took for drafting Carter, he has quite a bit of buzz around him. That's good.