Bubble? BUBBLE?

membengal

I agree with that as well Mem.

Seeing as how PBS is now 22 years old and Riverfront stadium managed to make it 30 years, I think there is plenty of time to discuss a new stadium before one may be absolutely necessary.  Again, should I still be where I am at that time, I won't be in favor of tax payer money to foot that bill for these owners.  Considering the last deal, I suspect regardless of Joe Burrow and Super Bowl aspirations, people won't be in a hurry to rush into it.  Of course people could shock me and I could be wrong.  I hope to be gone and it not be my problem.

• 2 months later...

Looks like part of Brown's reasoning for the naming rights change to the stadium, is for the indoor "facility" (as he put it) and stadium upgrades he's on the hook for in the future (if I read the article below correctly).  

I guess we can't get everything, but I value the indoor field quite a bit, numerous long amd short term benefit for players and coaches.   

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-brown-breaks-silence-paul-182532067.html

Just now, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Looks like part of Brown's reasoning for the naming rights change to the stadium, is for the indoor "facility" (as he put it) and stadium upgrades he's on the hook for in the future (if I read the article below correctly).  

I guess we can't get everything, but I value the indoor field quite a bit, numerous long amd short term benefit for players and coaches.   

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-brown-breaks-silence-paul-182532067.html

There are some rumors the Bengals have been sniffing around large vacant real estate complexes that are more than what you would need for a practice bubble.

A guess would be a entire Bengals HQ.   Who knows if they would ever pull the trigger?     A concept that would benefit Cincy youth sports would something like Grand park up in Indy.   It has several investors and its were the Colts host training camp.   3 indoor football fields, multi purpose.  Surrounded by a bunch of turf fields that can be used for football, soccer, lacrosse, softball, and baseball.   I think they can even host bball tournaments. 

I'm all in on the team trying to increase their revenue stream.  They have long resisted efforts like this in the past.
While I would rather Paul Brown's name stay on the stadium, whatever helps them do things with the team and stadium is a plus.
Not sure who's dragging them into this new line of thought, but I like them.

Yeah the bubble is in progress.  I have no idea when it will be ready but that is happening.

As for stadium renovation, looks cool.   We'll see what actually makes it to the actual plan.

One suggestion I have always had is to move the Pro Shop to the Banks.  Do a mega NFL store slash Bengal theme Bar/Grill in one of the open spaces in the Banks.

Pro shop space that part of the stadium has always been a  log jam.   Fans like to stand around those empty corners so turn Pro Shop space into smaller fan shops and concessions.

It looks like they ultimately will be reducing total General Admission capacity.    The GA actual seats will be reduce and back filled with some standing room rails and sections.   But overall there is going to be an expansion of luxury/experience seating at the expense of GA.

It also looks like it could address a the common complaint of the little crowd noise due to the corners being completely open.   They move one of the corner scoreboards which will kill off upper deck endzone seats but replace it with a structure that houses entertainment areas then builds back the capacity in the corner with standing room.

So it's going to be Paycor Stadium huh ??

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/09/bengals-rename-home-field-to-paycor-stadium/

I was going to pretty much hate any name that removed Paul Brown's from the equation.
Mike Brown can spin it however he likes saying his father would approve of this. 
I think it sucks.

However, if this is how they move forward to bring in revenue to sign players like Burrow and Chase, then great.
In all honesty though, I don't understand how that works.  The cap is the cap regardless of how much money you have to spend, right? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing? Would appreciate someone's better understanding.

It pays Burrow's guarantee. I don't give a genuine fuck what it is called, as long as it does that. 

Army, there is an arcane rule the NFL owners have self-imposed that makes this important. Any guaranteed money in a contract must be set aside, in cash, in escrow. So...if Burrow gets $150 million in guarantees, then the Bengals have to have that in cash to place in escrow at the moment of signing. Those big guarantees that will be a part of Chase or Tee contracts? Same issue. It is likely the stumbling point over Bates.

So, yeah, I genuinely don't care what the stadium is called. The Bengals tend to be suspected of having liquidity shortfalls since this is their only business and while revenue sharing balances the books, it doesn't necessarily help with having money on hand for guarantees. 

Money from tickets sales is shared with the league. Money from naming rights, suites, gate naming rights etc - that does NOT have to be shared with the league. This is all cash to the Bengals for some very needed upcoming items. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I originally read it as “Paymor” and thought, damn, that’s awfully on the nose…

And yeah, the escrow rule is the problem. There are a couple more wrinkles in the details, primarily that they don’t have to escrow all of it; there’s a $15 million “deductible” (rising to $17 million in the last two years of the current CBA), but for a team as traditionally strapped for hard cash as the Bengals it doesn’t make much difference.

The rule itself is ancient and the player’s association has wanted to reduce or eliminate the escrow entirely, but the owners have always resisted because it gives them an excuse why they can’t guarantee contracts. Cleveland just detonated that, so I’d bet it changes in the next CBA. However, that won’t come in time to help with Burrow, so here we are. Welcome, Payfor Joe Field.

Maybe they can get Charmin to sponsor the toilet paper in the stadium.
The Bengals will place big Charmin signs in the shitters to let the fans know and on top of getting money from the official sponsor of Bengals shit paper, Charmin can custom make each roll with the helmets of each opposing AFCN team on them.

Advertisement for the company, money in Bengals pockets and fun for the fans needing to drop a deuce.
Everyone is a winner.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So it's going to be Paycor Stadium huh ??

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/09/bengals-rename-home-field-to-paycor-stadium/

I was going to pretty much hate any name that removed Paul Brown's from the equation.
Mike Brown can spin it however he likes saying his father would approve of this. 
I think it sucks.

However, if this is how they move forward to bring in revenue to sign players like Burrow and Chase, then great.
In all honesty though, I don't understand how that works.  The cap is the cap regardless of how much money you have to spend, right? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing? Would appreciate someone's better understanding.

The cap is going to jump to $300m  in a few years mostly from media deals.    I can't recall if stadium naming rights feed into the pool of revenues that determine the ultimate cap number.

Naming rights are basically raising capital for money set aside to cover contract guarantees  AND stadium renovations would be my guess.    The actual cap value of Burrow's contractual increase is going to be covered by the increase in salary cap.   That is a point overlooked with most of these recent mega deals; teams are basically spending to the projected cap levels.