Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

4 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Ok I know I said I wasn’t going to do this, but I spent more time looking into this kid the Bengals had in for a visit. I couldn’t place his name but knew I had heard it.

Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU

He played two seasons at Oklahoma and tore shit up. On the Mackey list and all. Then he stepped away in 2019 due to concussions. He comes back to football after transferring to SMU and is now thought of as a late round pick.

Dont know why I hadn’t seen this video of his two years in Oklahoma but take a look who his QB’s are. Baker Mayfield and then Kyler Murray. He goes to SMU and has Skinny McDickweed throwing the ball.

In my book, he’s worth the late round flier, concussions and all. 

https://youtu.be/mZbEEghl8U0

The TE or Skinny Mcdickweed, is worth a flyer? 

18 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Don't get me wrong, I believe there are needs for both CB and a 3T DT and think the pick will be with one of those two positions.
However, if the thought is where do we take a player that has a chance to start his rookie season, I contend LB is just as likely as any other.

A CB will have to fight off Apple and while some think that's going to be easy, I disagree as Apple came on here and seems motivated to continue.
A DT will have to beat out BJ Hill and I don't think that's going to happen either.
DE, Safety ??  Nope not there

I'll argue here that

1. a CB doesnt have to beat out Apple because there are a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets these days - its a passing league.  I know, I know....there's Hilton, but CB3 or CB4 is still goign to get plenty of playtime

2. a 3TDT definitely doesnt need to beat out Hill because the objective is to have a 1a and a 1b to rotate to keep the passrushers fresh. 

so either of these would be fine

Like Mem says, a S would get playtime as well in 3S sets, and would probably start next year if we lose Bates......which is a very real possibility

and a DE, again......fresh passrushers

so any of these spots would be fine

I'd like to hold off til r2 for an OL, and I'd prefer an ORT here. 

I dont have confidence that Linderbaum will get able to get and keep his weight at or above 310 pounds.  I fan-love him in all other ways

In a perfect world for TJ, we get a pass rushing phenom DT at 31.  Not sure that guy exists in this draft, tho.

So any of 3TDT, CB, S, DE, or DE wold be fine.  In that order of preference.

1 minute ago, Earendil said:

For those of us who don't follow college football outside of a couple of teams, who is this?

It's an amazing story to be honest.  The McDickweed family traces it's roots back to Ireland in the family sheep herding business.
Skinny's great, great, great grandfather (Chunky) was known to be an aggressive man.  Violent one might say.  He took his aggression out on the sheep.
No, not in THAT way, but when his anger and the alcohol got the best of him, he would pick up the sheep and throw them.
Fast forward to 2022 and what we see is the product of all those years of anger, violence and aggression packed into SMU's QB Skinny McDickweed.
He had his name changed due to there being some organized crime connections and PETA getting involved.  You know him as Tanner Mordecai.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I'll argue here that

1. a CB doesnt have to beat out Apple because there are a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets these days - its a passing league.  I know, I know....there's Hilton, but CB3 or CB4 is still goign to get plenty of playtime

2. a 3TDT definitely doesnt need to beat out Hill because the objective is to have a 1a and a 1b to rotate to keep the passrushers fresh. 

so either of these would be fine

Like Mem says, a S would get playtime as well in 3S sets, and would probably start next year if we lose Bates......which is a very real possibility

and a DE, again......fresh passrushers

so any of these spots would be fine

I'd like to hold off til r2 for an OL, and I'd prefer an ORT here. 

I dont have confidence that Linderbaum will get able to get and keep his weight at or above 310 pounds.  I fan-love him in all other ways

In a perfect world for TJ, we get a pass rushing phenom DT at 31.  Not sure that guy exists in this draft, tho.

So any of 3TDT, CB, S, DE, or DE wold be fine.  In that order of preference.

I was strictly speaking in terms of finding a starter and when looking at the roster, I think we are talking about "maybe" 2 positions.
However, if the coaches are to be believed... they aren't looking for starters at #31 or anywhere else in the draft.  What you see is what you get.
If we are extending the thought to "playing time", then sure anyone would be fine.  Seriously, damn near 20 players could fill the role of playing time.
It's also why I mentioned that I believe the pick will be a CB or DT.  I would LOVE the Linderbaum pick, but have no thoughts of it happening.

Honestly, not looking for that sure fire starter takes some of the fun out of the draft for me, but if this is the price for going the Super Bowl....
I'll happily take it !!

well, I guess technically your third corner and your 1b 3TDT arent starters, but they'll still get a ton of snaps.  the 3TDT 1b might even have more snaps than the starter

I look at the top 2 3TDT as starter A and starter B, personally

I do hope they come away with a top notch PR/KR in r5 or later.  Major team weakness.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

It's an amazing story to be honest.  The McDickweed family traces it's roots back to Ireland in the family sheep herding business.
Skinny's great, great, great grandfather (Chunky) was known to be an aggressive man.  Violent one might say.  He took his aggression out on the sheep.
No, not in THAT way, but when his anger and the alcohol got the best of him, he would pick up the sheep and throw them.
Fast forward to 2022 and what we see is the product of all those years of anger, violence and aggression packed into SMU's QB Skinny McDickweed.
He had his name changed due to there being some organized crime connections and PETA getting involved.  You know him as Tanner Mordecai.

Well... ok then.

Thanks. I think.

McShay’s final mock. For the Bengals:

Quay Walker, ILB, Georgia

Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum might make sense here, but Cincinnati did quite a bit to fix the offensive line in free agency. Germaine Pratt will be a free agent next year, and Walker has gotten some first-round buzz. Walker would be a difference-maker in the middle of the defense.

Mel’s final projection: Karlaftis.

Draft picks ranked by how stoked I am to get them relative to draft position:

Cam Taylor-Britt > Tycen Anderson > Daxton Hill > Cordell Volson > Jeffrey Gunter > Zachary Carter

I didn't hate any pick. It's very easy to see the plan and the theme. Everyone is an excellent athlete, and everyone is versatile within their respective position groups.

12 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Draft picks ranked by how stoked I am to get them relative to draft position:

Cam Taylor-Britt > Tycen Anderson > Daxton Hill > Cordell Volson > Jeffrey Gunter > Zachary Carter

I didn't hate any pick. It's very easy to see the plan and the theme. Everyone is an excellent athlete, and everyone is versatile within their respective position groups.

Team captains and smart players no red flags for character...the Bengals have a type.

• Like 1

Didn’t hate any pick, but I rarely do anyway.    It was a predictable defense draft.  Glad they added speed to the defense.   Glad they were able to-address what would have been a nightmare offseason next year with only 2 DBs under contract.

There will be snaps available so contribution shouldn’t be a factor.  Hopefully they play well.  Solid B+ draft.