Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

So google tells me that the fifth year option for Jonah would be equal to the average of the top 3 through 20 players at this position. Assuming that and sportrac’s data are correct, that would be around $13.45 million (fully guaranteed) for 2023. Just for comparison, the franchise tag for an offensive lineman last year was $13.75 million.

I am not by any means saying don’t. But, is Jonah Williams a franchise-level LT?

Right now, I would say no. Now, maybe he gets there. He didn’t play his rookie year, and graded out (per pff) at 70 in year 2 and 77.5 this past season, so he’s definitely improving. But there’s only going to be so many big deals to go around. Whether he should be one…tough call imo.

I guess that's why I mentioned "when feasible".
I don't believe he's an elite LT, but how many out there are more than average?
If they are more than average, how much do they cost?  We could do better and worse the way I see it.
I'm good with the option, but maybe they determine long term isn't feasible.

• Like 1

Prices are rising. 

Not just on toilet paper and bread and etc etc etc

13 and a half for a grade 70 player is fine by me, especially since I dont feel replacing the line entirely -- ie all 5 guys -- is a good thing to do in a single offseason

I think you retain the two or three best OLs -- and I am not sure if player 2 is Hopkins or Spain, especially as the season wore on, but I think those are your next 2

(If someone has access to the PFF grades for the last 4 games of the regular season plus the playoffs for Hopkins and Spain, please paste them into this thread.  PLEASE.  My theory is that Hopkins outperformed Spain in the late stretch, after being slowed early by recovery from last season's injury)

and then you also keep the most promising newbie players, which I'd say is Carman and D'Ante

everyone else has to be looked at as a backup at best, or gone

I dont see Reiff as returning, personally.  I appreciate his service here, and thats about it.   I'd take him back as a backup but I am sure that if he plans to play in 2022 he is expecting to start and be paid as a starter.  that said, if I had to bet my own dollar, I'd put it on him retiring.

Well, if you want their game by game grades TJ you’ll have to pay pff, but I would be surprised if Hopkins outplayed Spain in the postseason. Spain graded out 18 points higher for the year.

Basically the Bengals had three lineman that were serviceable to good: Jonah, Spain and Reiff. Everyone else was trash.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

So google tells me that the fifth year option for Jonah would be equal to the average of the top 3 through 20 players at this position. Assuming that and sportrac’s data are correct, that would be around $13.45 million (fully guaranteed) for 2023. Just for comparison, the franchise tag for an offensive lineman last year was $13.75 million.

I am not by any means saying don’t. But, is Jonah Williams a franchise-level LT?

Right now, I would say no. Now, maybe he gets there. He didn’t play his rookie year, and graded out (per pff) at 70 in year 2 and 77.5 this past season, so he’s definitely improving. But there’s only going to be so many big deals to go around. Whether he should be one…tough call imo.

I would say its crazy not to consider a long term top market deal for Williams.   I think his performance is overlooked because the media/fan base is in this mind set that OL=Bad.      

The counter point is using Williams draft class and any draft afterward what tackle meets the franchise level?  Then out of how many that were selected?   Its a very up and down pool of players.

3 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

I want a Sunday night prime time game vs. Chiefs for upcoming season. In this game we finish KC and crush Mahomes soul.

Mahomes quits football for good.  Spirals into depression.  But a great life-affirming feel good story develops when he accepts a pretty sweet part-time gig in Licking County, Ohio, that mainly involves cleaning out the gutters for a 59 year old man who is really quite underrated by the local female population and who just doesn’t feel too good up on a ladder anymore, thus the need for help with the gutters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Saw that statement from Burrow previously as well. You would hope they would at least have a discussion and it appears they do.

Trent Dilfer ??

Who ?? Yeah…

Dilfer must have gotten some good stuff out in LA, slow down on the smoke Trent.

Matthew Stafford is getting dragged for walking away from that injured photographer.  Wrong.  Dude is in a profession in which incidents of mayhem snd severe injury are common.  His job when that happens?  Walk away and let the professionals handle it.  He just did what he’s done dozens if not hundreds of times before.