O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

Pretty clear from Pollack's comments that Carman going into the off-season penciled in as the starter at LG. Adeniji at best a back-up across various spots. I myself definitely would prefer Carman to get the gig ahead of Adeniji. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Pretty clear from Pollack's comments that Carman going into the off-season penciled in as the starter at LG. Adeniji at best a back-up across various spots. I myself definitely would prefer Carman to get the gig ahead of Adeniji. 

Yeah, it's where I'm at.  I've been advocating for Carman at LG for quite some time !!
I always viewed Adeniji as one of those backup swing tackle kind of guys.

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

yeah, its kinda a "you know what you got" with Adeniji, and it aint good (at OG, at least)

whereas with Carman, you kinda dont really know yet, but it almost can't be worse, right?

Why I wouldn't rule out o-line in the first 3 rounds.  Pencil in Carman, but give him some competition, and his back-up,  or develop an OT, given that you have 2 with recent injury histories.

Not impossible to take a OL in the top 150 but its very unlikely.     The reality is any OL player taken in the top 150 will be mixed in with similar graded players at other position groups however it will be very hard for that player to crack the top 6 in the OL group this year or next.   The current line returns in '23 without a shocking turn of events.

They will simply be looking at other position groups with those picks that can get on the field this season.  

Carmen and Adeniji could be "Bodine" bad at LG and they still could have a top 10 line.  Based on what I've seen their floor is above "Bodine" bad.   

Some mock scrolling across the TV has them getting CB Clemson Booth at 31.   That's Bucky's 2nd ranked CB.     IF that's all reality (debatable) but that's a player that gets a role in TC.    Where as Smith, Linderbaum, or Zion are good worthy players at that spot they might not be targeted front line starters until year 3. 

I can understand wanting your 1st round pick starting come week one.
Anything after that is really up for grabs.  The ONLY reason I'm saying that is because the team's roster is more solid than not.
There are only going to be so many spots open for a new rookie.

If they bring back Obigunkenobi in free agency, that's one more position you won't see a rookie in.  Until then, DT is a top priority.
CB certainly presents as an opportunity to get a rookie on the field.
Outside of that, where else ??  I ask seriously because maybe I'm missing something else.
Maybe LB ??  The depth there certainly needs to be addressed.

There's nothing open for starters on the offensive side of the ball at this point unless they go o-line at #31 and the player beats out Carman.
They might get a rookie WR on the field to take snaps, but not a starter, so there's that, but they brought a bunch back from last year.

On defense, a rookie CB will still have to beat out Apple (most likely) or Hilton (not likely) to get a starting spot.
Take snaps? Sure.  Start? Not so sure.

This isn't just because I like to keep bringing up LB, because I thought they performed well, especially as the season went.
However, they have guys like Bailey and Batchie getting snaps with ADG getting hurt last season and missing half the games.
Does he come back healthy?  Can they upgrade that position early if a guy like Devin Lloyd falls?

I simply wouldn't rule out any position after the first round because I don't think they are going to be more than depth.
O-line, D-line, LB, CB, WR, etc...  None of that and more would surprise me after #31.
I like OT Lucas Abraham (pure RT) in the 2nd round personally, but would also not be surprised with a WR like Metchie they don't need right away.

Tons of ZT and then La'el Collins stuff on the twitters from their press conferences. 

Jeremy Rauch
@FOX19Jeremy
·
3m
La'el Collins on his night at Joe Burrow's house. 

"It's just chill, man. Talking football. It was big to spend some time with him." 

#Bengals 
@fox19

Geoff Hobson
@GeoffHobsonCin
·
5m
LC on his style: “I can’t wait to show Who-Dey nation. I can’t wait to get into The Jungle in that first game and on that first play just come off the ball.”

YES PLEASE

Charlie Goldsmith
@CharlieG__
·
9m
One takeaway from the La’el Collins press conference: He’s excited to play for the Bengals because he sees a better shot to win a Super Bowl in Cincinnati than he had in Dallas. 

The most tangible example of the changed perception among players about the Bengals franchise.

Marisa Contipelli
@BengalsMarisa
·
17m
La'el Collins: "At this point in my career it's not about the money, it's about winning. I want to win... I want to win championships and this is the team to do it."

I listened to his conference and it was VERY clear how much Frank Pollack means to him as a coach.
Second to that, but not by much was better than 10 different Bengals players reaching out to him telling him he's wanted here in Cincinnati.
Commented about having the chance to get back on the field and move people out of the way.

Funny he said he was completely unaware that we played the Cowboys this year and was excited about that.
Had nothing poor to say about Dallas and gave them nothing but love and respect for his time there.
He said he really missed "Coach Frank" when he left Dallas.

Great interview...

It's the Burrow-Taylor effect. I always like to emphasize Zac's role, because he was blowing up free agency before Burrow was even officially selected in 2020. The dude has absolutely set a culture here that even the most ardent Taylor-deniers couldn't possibly downplay. I realize nobody was saying otherwise here.

I just love to see how that culture is now propagating and perpetuating itself.

Jake Liscow
@JakeLiscow
4m
Collins on Cappa and Karras: We were talking about our favorite run plays. It just so happens we love the same run plays... I can't wait to get into the first fit with [Cappa] and just move people out of the way.

Whatever let down I had for a little while after the Super Bowl has now been replaced with excitement again.

Remember not so long ago how the conversation about the Bengals centered about them being boring, predictable, and generally anything but exciting ??
Well, it sure is nice to see the turnaround in approach and philosophy from the front office.

THIS is what trying to field a competitive team looks like.  Watch what continues to happen.
Tickets will be sold out, you won't be able to find merchandise, Bengals fans will be in visiting stadiums.
Basically all out support for the team from any and everybody.

BRING ON 2022 !!!

• Like 1