2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

• 2 months later...

I shudder thinking of what the number to hold onto Burrow, Chase AND Higgins. I just assumed Higgins would be tag worthy and then see him walk after that.

Boyd has this and next season under his current deal and will be 30 at that point. It will interesting to see it play out.

Oh, the numbers are going to be insane. More than that, the pile of actual cash the Bengals are going to have to produce is mountainous. Which is why they’ll give Bates a competitive deal overall but not competitive guarantees, why they’re selling the naming rights, hell, there will probably be barrels by the entrances this year with signs to donate a few bucks to Burrow’s extension.

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, the numbers are going to be insane. More than that, the pile of actual cash the Bengals are going to have to produce is mountainous. Which is why they’ll give Bates a competitive deal overall but not competitive guarantees, why they’re selling the naming rights, hell, there will probably be barrels by the entrances this year with signs to donate a few bucks to Burrow’s extension.

I will gladly donate at the first pre-season game in a couple weeks. Not sure my $20 will push them over the top, but they can have it.

The way I look at it with the current roster.   The current window is 2022, 2023 and 2024.      Most cap sites are showing massive cap growth in 2025.

Extend Burrow next year.  Front load.  Then go from there.   Hopefully they can keep the hits in the middle of the contract below 20% of the cap.  

Once Burrow gets his deal and guys start hitting FA around 2024, Tobin is going to have to work his magic to extend that window.

They failed when increasing Dalton's hit (on a team friendly deal) they simply could not draft well enough to keep up with the talent drain post 2015.

I like Zac Taylor, but any kind of Marvin like coaching baffoonery must be met with termination.    You can't suffer the choke jobs Marvin/Dalton pulled with loaded rosters and never go beyond a wild card round.  (Advantage Zac because Burrow is Joey Franchise and Dalton was ok at times and horrible everytime in primetime)

With Burrow, Chase, Higgins.  You have to live on SNF, MNF, Divisional, Conference Champ rounds and hopefully Superbowls.   That is what all great QB do with the exceptions of a few.

Not sure what another contract for Boyd will look like and maybe it's more affordable.
If not, I don't see them putting that much into the WR corps after what Chase and Higgins will cost.
Not only that, but I don't think that is the smartest thing to do either.
What money is left, will have to be used wisely and the drafts will need to be good.

• 2 weeks later...

The James signing will be one to keep an eye on, as I view the Chargers as a solidly developing team as the Bengals, with a very good QB on his rookie deal.  The Chargers decide to put the money into the safety position and will have other decisions to make with their roster when they have to pay Herbert.  While they have WR's Allen and Williams, I don't view them as better players than Chase and Higgins as a duo at the position.  They have Allen and Williams both signed to similar contracts averaging 20 million per season and both are signed through the 2024 season, which is good for the Chargers.

While I think Chase and Higgins are going to cost us more than that, it makes me wonder what the other differences in the roster and contracts are that they can give out a contract like that to James who has been injured an awful lot.  Not upset, just curious...

So maybe I just haven't looked at things that closely and/or don't understand the details involved.

Here's what I do know:
Joe Burrow's option year is 2024
Ja'Marr Chase's option year is 2025

Yes, they can be signed to extensions prior to that date.  I also understand there are many other players that will need to be considered, for extensions, in trying to keep this roster together the best they can.  Specifically after the 2022 season, Bell, Hurst, Pratt and others.  After the 2023 season, we are looking at, Hendrickson, Reader, Boyd, Awuzie, Higgins, J. Williams, L. Wilson, among others.

As much as I've said they should trade Bates, I'm now wondering if there is a way to keep him or at least consider his level of importance in comparison to all those guys and not just Burrow and Chase.  If we can't sign Bates because of Burrow and Chase, how do we sign most of these guys? No, some of these guys have not been All-Pro level players, but they are all significant pieces in what this team does (Hurst will be).  When looking at the signings to come, which ones do you think should be made a priority?  When I considered all the other players, it made me reconsider the importance of a guy like Bates to the defense.

They got some players in this year's draft that look to be starters sooner rather than later and they will have the 2023 draft as well. However, that won't be enough to make up the loss of all those veteran players.

Just something I was kicking around after the Chargers gave Derwin James that new contract.