Week 17: Chiefs @ Bengals

HoosierCat

25 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Don't the new rules allow Pratt an opportunity to come off before the game? 

No - five days puts him eligible to come off on monday unless he can get in two negative tests 24 hours apart before then. Which is doubtful. 

FWIW, Sheeran says it is still possible that Pratt could play Sunday....as I read the following

"On Wednesday, Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Germaine Pratt tested positive and was placed on the COVID list. Under these protocols, he can return if he tests negative in the coming days, but the five day quarantine period would have him missing Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs if he’s still experiencing symptoms before then. "

Fair to say this sounds iffy at best

7 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I remember when Ed Reed returned punts for the Ravens.
Beastly

If I were Jessie Bates I wouldn't be thrilled to do this.  The conversation would go something like this:

"Let me get this straight, you don't want to sign me to a long term contract and you want me to play the most dangerous role you can play on a football field, um...no."

46 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If I were Jessie Bates I wouldn't be thrilled to do this.  The conversation would go something like this:

"Let me get this straight, you don't want to sign me to a long term contract and you want me to play the most dangerous role you can play on a football field, um...no."

Oh, I wasn't suggesting he should or shouldn't do it.  Simply recalling that Ed Reed did the same and was really good at it.
I also happen to feel like this team would flourish with an above average punt returner.
If that is Bates or someone else, I don't really care.  Just find one Bengals.

In watching the clip above, Bates looks stiff as shit.

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If that conversation had happened in, say, August, I wouldn't have been surprised if it went like that. They're in a little bit of a different spot right now though. Two weeks left, and because they didn't take advantage of opportunities earlier in the year, now they have to win one of the last two games. That means beating either KC, which the standings say is the best team in the conference, or Cleveland, the one division rival they haven't been able to master because their QB switches from Clark Kent to Superman every time they play.

0-2 is not hard to see here. Some might even argue it's the most likely scenario. So now you reach, deep, pull out all the stops, empty the bag of tricks, turn the dial up to 11, insert your favorite  metaphor here etc., etc., and do all you can to get the ball into the hands of your best playmakers. And I think a guy like Bates knows that and would welcome the chance to make a big play in a big game. Him being a hero who helps secure a playoff spot certainly won't hurt his value (especially given he's had a relatively quiet year). And this team does seem to want to keep playing.

So if they think Bates gives them something more at returner, or just allows them to save a gameday roster spot for someone else who might, do it.