Week 8: Bengals @ Jets

HoosierCat

Not worried about a letdown either. BUT it is pretty traditional in this spot. Historically the Bengals have not handled success well, especially when the national media takes notice. They spend all week reading their press clippings instead of the playbook and then with all expectations sky-high, they go an lay an egg against a team they should beat.

I think they take care of business next weekend. But if they do faceplant I doubt I'll feel surprised.

Oh I get it Wraith and was thinking this team is a field goal in each loss from being 7-0 right now.
Knowing how young this team is, I'm left to wonder if those losses, both for different reasons, helped.

I don't think about it much, mind you, because i'm so freaking pumped up about that win yesterday and sitting where we are.
The team just has to stay away from the media take on shit and stay focused !!

Under Marvin this team did not handle success very well, I want to see now how they handle it under Taylor. This week and next game will tell me what I’m looking for, how does this coach and team captains handle some success. 

It really does feel different though, I can’t put my hand on it, but this team just feels different then the rest. However something still holds me back from getting overly excited, because I’ve always been let down before. Just something about this team right now though that just makes me excited to watch football again.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Not worried about a letdown either. BUT it is pretty traditional in this spot. Historically the Bengals have not handled success well, especially when the national media takes notice. They spend all week reading their press clippings instead of the playbook and then with all expectations sky-high, they go an lay an egg against a team they should beat.

I think they take care of business next weekend. But if they do faceplant I doubt I'll feel surprised.

I'm not worried about not handling success.   I worry about the same things prior to the Bears game.   The Jets players get paid too and they'll spend all week getting trashed.

Never as bad or good as the previous week.   It just takes a few bad plays to shrink the gap.

Really makes the last two weeks more impressive.    Each week had bad Ints that could have sparked a home team rally but didn't. 

26 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Under Marvin this team did not handle success very well, I want to see now how they handle it under Taylor. This week and next game will tell me what I’m looking for, how does this coach and team captains handle some success. 

It really does feel different though, I can’t put my hand on it, but this team just feels different then the rest. However something still holds me back from getting overly excited, because I’ve always been let down before. Just something about this team right now though that just makes me excited to watch football again.

Yeah, I know. It's basically the Bengals fan version of PTSD. It's hard to get excited about a team that's let you down for, like, 30 straight years. That takes its toll.

• Like 1

I feel the same way about the team and no matter what, when the offense lines up, I'm thinking they are GOING to score.
It's fun to feel that way and it's definitely different from seasons past, even when they were having some success.

If I wanted to take a stab at the reason, I would point to the players they have brought in as free agents.
They were very good players with their former teams, are leaders, and some came from winning cultures.
I think they brought it with them and mixing that in with the youth of the team, it just sets the tone.

I mean, when has the team brought in this many free agents and they all have a decent impact ??
Both sides of the ball have been impacted by these moves (more defense).

Awuzie
Allen
Apple
Hendrixson (T-Rex)
Hilton
Ogunjobi
Reader
Bell
Reiff
Spain

Re: Joe Burrow - just wanted to drop this here:

Seven games in coming off the knee surgery...

146 for 212 PA (68.9%)
1956 yards (averaging 285.7 a game)
17 TDs to 8 INTs
Has taken 17 sacks
Passer rating 108.9

That 16 game pace (I know it is 17 now but I like comparing apples to apples) would be 4571 yards and 38 TDs over 18 picks. That is on pace for the best QB season in Bengals history. For our guy, in his second season, yet to play a full season.

Really hoping they keep him upright and we can see where this goes...

The FAs have been key, no question. Nearly all of them are contributing on the field and cycling the locker room has cleared out the "loser stink" of the previous five or so years.

The offense feels like 2005 again: absolutely loaded with talent and capable of scoring on anyone, from anywhere on the field. They can go out and dictate to the opposing D. We saw it yesterday. Your best corner? Go ahead, put him on Chase, won't matter, he'll win. You can't stop us, only we can stop us.

And the defense feels BETTER than '05. That was an opportunistic unit but they gave up a lot of yards. This group feels more, well, classic AFC North. The kind of D usually associated with the best Pitt, Baltimore and Cleveland teams. Hit hard, stuff the run, get after the QB. 

And seeing both those things come together at the same time is hard not to get excited about. My head is screaming at me: Don't! Don't believe! It's the Bengals! They WILL find a way to fuk it up! They always do! But my heart...ahhh, my heart wants all in sooo bad...

41 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

The FAs have been key, no question. Nearly all of them are contributing on the field and cycling the locker room has cleared out the "loser stink" of the previous five or so years.

The offense feels like 2005 again: absolutely loaded with talent and capable of scoring on anyone, from anywhere on the field. They can go out and dictate to the opposing D. We saw it yesterday. Your best corner? Go ahead, put him on Chase, won't matter, he'll win. You can't stop us, only we can stop us.

And the defense feels BETTER than '05. That was an opportunistic unit but they gave up a lot of yards. This group feels more, well, classic AFC North. The kind of D usually associated with the best Pitt, Baltimore and Cleveland teams. Hit hard, stuff the run, get after the QB. 

And seeing both those things come together at the same time is hard not to get excited about. My head is screaming at me: Don't! Don't believe! It's the Bengals! They WILL find a way to fuk it up! They always do! But my heart...ahhh, my heart wants all in sooo bad...

Exactly the way I am right now. So much media coverage right now, so guess will see how they respond this week with a game they should easily handle.