Week 3: Bengals @ Steelers

HoosierCat

Well...he may be 100% physically but...not 100% mentally. I mean, he has to trust when he plants to go or cut or avoid pressure that the knee will work. There is a difference between being told it will and fully trusting it will. I think that is the step in his fully recovery he still has to make. 

Probably related…

On Monday, Taylor was asked what he wanted his offensive identity to be.

"That we can build off of our run game," Taylor said. "And still be able to have an efficient run game that really challenges people so they have to put extra guys in the box then take advantage of the playmakers we have on the perimeter. "

So we’re a run first team now.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Probably related…

So we’re a run first team now.

I don’t understand why we didn’t run a ton of play action against the Bears.  Possibly the empty set cataclysm we experienced in that game has pushed us to the run.  We’re evolving.

3 hours ago, COB said:

I don’t understand why we didn’t run a ton of play action against the Bears.  Possibly the empty set cataclysm we experienced in that game has pushed us to the run.  We’re evolving.

Play action hasn’t been working for them. If I had to hazard a guess it’s because of the aforementioned issue of Burrow not being willing/able to move out of the pocket.

3 hours ago, COB said:

I would not run a whole lot of play action that would require Burrow taking his eyes off the rush.   Even QBs with good pass pro get a rusher in their face. 

There should be opportunities to give marginal fakes wide to Mixon and throw behind the over zealous LB.   Mixon has had success on the edges. 

Bengal fans and Bengal media on various message boards and social media seem to be in a rush to push forward "HOT TAKES" that support their view of the offseason.

Probably a good time to press pause on all the "HOT TAKES" and remember what the narrative was going around a couple weeks ago with Chase's drops.

Well, my offseason fears that Burrow would need time in season to recover/adjust/get comfortable or whatever seem to have been justified. He’s not bad but he’s clearly not the Joe Burrow we saw last year again yet either.

My offseason hopes that the money spent on the d would pay off look like they’re being fulfilled. I remain skeptical that it’s really a top tier unit, but it’s clearly much better.

Sadly, it looks like my offseason hopes about improvement on the oline are not panning out. My confidence in the Carmen pick is also ebbing fast.

Taylor hasn’t done anything so far to shake my offseason conviction that he ought to be run out of town on a rail.

Had I been around prior to the start of the season, I would have voiced these as my top concerns headed into week 1:

1. Burrow's physical and mental recovery
2. The O-line
3. The Defense
4. Zac Taylor

While the season is obviously young, I wasn't expecting a mental 100% recovery for Burrow any time soon.  Just unaware of how it would look.
I wasn't expecting a rookie changing positions on the o-line to be a savior.  Although I will admit I thought/think they would/will be an improved unit.
The defense certainly has played much better through the first two weeks than what we saw last season.  Still not thrilled with the LB group.
Zac Taylor simply does not fill me with any type of confidence in his abilities to be a head coach in the NFL.  Seems like a really nice guy though.

I also would have looked at our 2021 schedule and given a crap shoot prediction of 4-13, maybe getting to 6-11 at best.
Another year of Burrow's recovery, more draft picks, and maybe another impact free agent and 2022 could see a playoff push.
Give me a head coach like Eric Bieniemy and I think they may actually win a playoff game.
I just don't think this team is on the same level as the Baltimore's and Chief's of the league.

Still think they lose to the Steelers as well, but will be rooting for them to kick the crap out of them !!

• Like 1