Week 1 2021: Vikings at Bengals Game Thread and Post-game chatter

membengal

So having slept on it...I'm still alright with the failed 4th and 1 on the 30. Even the call wasn't all that bad. If our $48 million running back can't pick up a freaking yard at crunch time, what the hell did they pay him for? And I think that 9 times out of 10 he makes it. Just got grabbed by the turf monster so this was time No. 10.

Admittedly, since it didn't end up costing them a W it's a bit easier to be chill about.

If I have to question coaching, I'm going point at the decision to keep Burrow and the first team offense off the field for nearly all of preseason. Now to be fair, Zimmer did the same thing in Minnesota, and the results were the first quarter of yesterday's game. Neither offense looked like it was ready. The Vikings drew enough flags to outfit a flag football team and the Bengals did little more than hand the ball off. Q1 was basically practice for both offenses and I think the Bengals are lucky that they drew a team which also needed the first 15 minutes to figure out its ass from its elbow. 

I know the shortened preseason makes it a problem to get the starters ready while still evaluating the bottom half of the roster but they need to figure out a better answer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think Burrow deserved a higher grade....I expected a grade in the mid-80's.

I’ve come around on utility of PFF grades by and large - but not so much when it comes to their QB grades. Too much judgment call in those.

the 128.2 passer rating his career best seems pretty ok to me…

As someone, I think Liscow, pointed out on Twitter, an underreported story from the game is that the Bengals appears to have escaped without any serious injuries. Higgins had to deal with dehydration, Mixon had to have a foot/ankle taped and Burrow apparently had some ding to his knee or ankle on one sack that had him limping on the sideline for a bit. But that’s all I recall from the game.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I think Burrow deserved a higher grade....I expected a grade in the mid-80's.

I don't worry about PFF grades on positions that are stat makers. 

PFF's value is in line and those role playing defense positions that don't produce tangible stats,  IMO.

As for grading QB, there's no way in hell PFF can be accurate without sitting in the QB room.

Just rely on time proven QB rating etc. 

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

I don't worry about PFF grades on positions that are stat makers. 

PFF's value is in line and those role playing defense positions that don't produce tangible stats,  IMO.

As for grading QB, there's no way in hell PFF can be accurate without sitting in the QB room.

Just rely on time proven QB rating etc. 

this.