Defensive PFF grades

Stripes

bengals-defense.png

I threw this together primarily for my own reference, but I figured what the hell -- why not share. It's a base compilation of PFF grades for Bengals defensive players currently listed on the depth chart per OurLads and ESPN, not including free agents not yet resigned e.g. Mike Daniels. I made this with Anarumo in mind: in my mind's eye the defense on paper seemed to be getting pretty strong given the last two years of free agency. If he is given a bunch of quality players and the defense is still terrible, then this will help to justify my eventual bitching and moaning if he sticks around.

The colors are rough approximations of PFF's colors. I don't have a paid account to access more specific grades; these are just overall grades.

The secondary is loaded. Hopefully Awuzie continues that on-year-off-year pattern in 2021. The defensive line should at least be capable. There's little excuse left for this defense to get annihilated by the pass every week. The linebackers are extremely young and difficult to assess, but early returns are iffy. Tight ends may continue to be reasons to pull hairs out. Basically, this defense looks, on paper, like it should at least be average. Perhaps depth is lacking, but that's also hard to gauge -- I suspect most teams are filled with ugly colors beneath the starting lineup (and the sample sizes are pretty small). Barring injuries, the only things visibly holding them back are linebacker and DL depth (how about Tupou though?), and LB should in theory improve if these players are being coached effectively and don't flat suck.

The ball's in your court, Lou. This should be good enough. Draft a few more toys and give us something better than bottom 10.

• Like 1

Thank for this, Stripes. this is a great reference

The linebackers are young and have been improving.  I expect better numbers this year.

Awuzie was injured most of last year.  expect some bounce back

The Tupou data is startling.  It says we need to play this kid NOW and A LOT

The Ogunjobi data trend is VERY concerning, especially since we're seeing him as our starter

If the 2021 D is bad I'll still be happy as long as both of the following 2 things occur

1. Bell knocks Juju into next week again

2. Anarumo is fired

If these occur, I will consider the defensive side of the ball to be a great success

ricardo-allen.png

Ricardo Allen adds some solid depth. Perhaps the recent downtrend is the cause for his availability, but he has never been anything other than a starter before. This is a clear upgrade over anything else we had behind Bates and Bell. Hopefully he can contribute effectively on STs.

• Like 2

Was totally unfamiliar with Allen for some reason - but good to see the grade(s) on him.

Still think they need an impact LB at any one of the 3 positions, and a 3-down pass rushing threat (as it pertains to starters or competing for starting positions).  But we clamor for these things every year and they never happen - 1st/2nd round LB's, OG's or C's.  Never get 'em.

We'll see if they extend or re-sign Bates, that will be interesting.  I'm guessing not, but the increased focus on Safeties is coming from someone who has a better understanding of the modern game, at least, than Mike Brown ever has.

One visible concern in that Allen data is that his last strong grade came in a season that ended in injury (2018, torn achilles). The dropoff directly follows from that. If it did hinder him the last two seasons, hopefully he can finally get back to form.

• Like 1

It’s the kind of signing you want. The Bengals have good starters at the position but little depth. And if they draft a safety it won’t be until late. Maybe they get lucky and find a late round gem but counting on draft magic is this team’s usual approach and it rarely works out. At worst, Allen is better than some random 5-6-7-UDFA. And if they do draft safety and hit, great. Basically a cheap no-lose signing, barring injury.