Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HoosierCat

BengalsVision

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I haven’t read anything that cheesy in a very long time.

Dude, could not disagree more. OBVIOUSLY, they have to win games. But the other stuff matters. And, frankly, commitment to addressing all of the experience around the team and being a fan might be a pretty good sign at the internal pressure to actually win games. Literally, they have NEVER tried before on the fan end, articulating a vision, etc.  To bang on them for trying now seems unnecessarily churlish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elizabeth Blackburn is doing an AMA on Reddit right now.  I’ve been following that.  Yes, fan engagement is good in my opinion.  Just because I’m too old and dried up to actually get into it doesn’t mean it won’t have a big impact.  I think it will.  It’ll have ripple effects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, membengal said:

Dude, could not disagree more. OBVIOUSLY, they have to win games. But the other stuff matters. And, frankly, commitment to addressing all of the experience around the team and being a fan might be a pretty good sign at the internal pressure to actually win games. Literally, they have NEVER tried before on the fan end, articulating a vision, etc.  To bang on them for trying now seems unnecessarily churlish. 

I’m not banging on them for trying, I’m chucking at something that reads like a mix of a generic corporate mission statement and a parody of The Incredibles. I’m sure the actual on-the-ground engagement will be fine. But once upon a time I used to have to spend a day or sometimes two (groan) a year in “retreats” with upper management that involved hours of wordsmithing vision statements and mission statements and elevator pitches that came out *exactly* like this:

Quote

Rule The Jungle signifies the high standards and energy we expect to see on the field, in the stands and in all areas of our organization. Rule The Jungle is a mentality that displays our confidence and strength. Rule The Jungle is the feeling of exuberance each fan will feel on gameday, like a queen or king sitting on a throne, as we celebrate together in a stadium that is back to full capacity.

It’s just deeply funny to me to see the same stuff surface again, all these years later, in this context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had season tickets for years.   The overall growth of the fan base and demand for tickets kinda sucked.    They'll never be able to completely separate the marketing from the football operations.  Winning is a big factor. 

"who dey" is cheesy as hell.  But it came along during a Superbowl season and then had a rebirth in 2nd superbowl season.   Now its a tradition.   Of course that was completely organic from the fan base.  To this day no one really knows how the chant came about.

So we'll see if the generic corporate mission statements work, but I've been to 200+ games Riverfront, PBS and away games.   Hokey, generic/cheesy mission statements is very necessary when just talking about improving fan experience/growing the fan base outside of winning.    Not everything will work but its the effort.

A lot of other NFL markets are able to execute hokey, cheesy things.   A Jungle throne sounds hokey as hell.  Go to the Superbowl and it becomes a life long tradition.

Just hopefully they'll win some stuff of significance and these things will be embraced by the fan base.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elizabeth Blackburn is the best thing to happen to this franchise in years outside arguably (yes, arguably) Joe Burrow.  I am absolutely thrilled about what I am reading right now.

Every single one of us, without a hint of irony, dedicates hours of our time every week throughout the entire calendar year to discuss the merits of a troupe of grown men dressed like tigers who play with balls. Bring on the cheese and do not cease. Keep churning that crank, Olive Garden waiter. More. For I remain lean and hungry.

I am about to be 34 fuckin years old, and I have never seen the divisional round in my life -- at least not at an age that I have the cognitive capacity to recall. And yet here I am, despite everything, typing words on Bengalszone.com, wanting to see something better. I still run for the hills every time I am clicking around YouTube and even a hint of a Kimo von Oelhoffen or Jeremy Hill fumble or Vontaze Burfict missile tackle to a Pittsburgh Steeler is visible. I bear the scars of this franchise, and that is extraordinarily cheesy. Imagine trying to explain to someone who doesn't care about American football that I was emotionally wrecked for weeks because a team I cannot control lost a game. They're gonna think I'm the king of the cheese, and they're right.

Now I'm the king of the jungle, and I will treat my throne with reverence.

I think it's going to work too, at least well enough to collide a legitimate stadium environment of intense fan enthusiasm with a team that can be very good under the leadership of a great quarterback. The social media team has been killing it, and we've all seen that the last couple of years. This means less to the old fogeys, among whom I even count myself at this point, who are jaded by all the years of failure. Younger people who use Instagram don't give a rat's ass about Dave Schula or Lumina Drama or even the Palmer era (outside some choice Chad celebrations, perhaps). They do give a rat's ass about Super Bowls XVI and XXIIII, and about our founder being the most innovative coach of all time. They do give a rat's ass about the no huddle, and the poorly-named west coast offense, and about Ken Anderson being a Hall of Fame snub. They do give a rat's ass about the Bengals laying claim to the greatest offensive lineman to ever play the game. There is plenty of pride to be had here for those who are willing to show some. And if it happens, it will benefit the team on the field. Culture is everywhere, including in the stands and around the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I had season tickets for years.   The overall growth of the fan base and demand for tickets kinda sucked.    They'll never be able to completely separate the marketing from the football operations.  Winning is a big factor. 

"who dey" is cheesy as hell.  But it came along during a Superbowl season and then had a rebirth in 2nd superbowl season.   Now its a tradition.   Of course that was completely organic from the fan base.  To this day no one really knows how the chant came about.

So we'll see if the generic corporate mission statements work, but I've been to 200+ games Riverfront, PBS and away games.   Hokey, generic/cheesy mission statements is very necessary when just talking about improving fan experience/growing the fan base outside of winning.    Not everything will work but its the effort.

A lot of other NFL markets are able to execute hokey, cheesy things.   A Jungle throne sounds hokey as hell.  Go to the Superbowl and it becomes a life long tradition.

Just hopefully they'll win some stuff of significance and these things will be embraced by the fan base.  

Well, yes, of course. If they win, fans will be happy and all the engagement strategies will be enjoyed. If they don’t, no amount of thrones will matter much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, yes, of course. If they win, fans will be happy and all the engagement strategies will be enjoyed. If they don’t, no amount of thrones will matter much.

Yes winning.   Also investment.   All this stuff is very low hanging fruit and stuff I'm sure many fans have griped about for years.   Fans will still be able to go down a few blocks and see a baseball stadium and a team that may be guilty of doing too much.  

Many Bengal fans travel up to Indy pre season and regular season (when scheduled).  Lucas Oil is clean.  It's vibrant.   It's classy.   Green Bay, I would say the same thing. 

There are many many upgrades needed to the concourses and a whole game plan for game day experience at PBS.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bengals and Liz SUCK! 
 

This whole deal is a joke.

 

1st Ruler of Jungle SUCKED because there was a timing difference between the video board and the ruler.    So everyone is cheering (I guess) the “ruler” is sitting there looking around…..just a hot mess you’d expect from a half ass operation.

 

2nd.   Homeless people in the stadium AND apparently employees at the same time.  Dude carrying a broom and In Uniform so cracked out of his mind looking through trash can drinking from empty bottles. Keep in mind this is your Club section.  JOKE.  This will get a call from me in the morning. 
 

3rd - All these concession credits they advertise AND the cashless system…..surprise nobody nobody knows how stuff is supposed to work.

 

If they sell out opening day AND don’t train people it’s going to be worse than PBS opening day when they shut off water fountains.

I was going to buy tickets to opening day but it’s such a cluster fuck.  I’ll pass until cheap tickets appear. 
 

They suck at fan experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 3:48 PM, Stripes said:

Elizabeth Blackburn is the best thing to happen to this franchise in years outside arguably (yes, arguably) Joe Burrow.  I am absolutely thrilled about what I am reading right now.

Every single one of us, without a hint of irony, dedicates hours of our time every week throughout the entire calendar year to discuss the merits of a troupe of grown men dressed like tigers who play with balls. Bring on the cheese and do not cease. Keep churning that crank, Olive Garden waiter. More. For I remain lean and hungry.

I am about to be 34 fuckin years old, and I have never seen the divisional round in my life -- at least not at an age that I have the cognitive capacity to recall. And yet here I am, despite everything, typing words on Bengalszone.com, wanting to see something better. I still run for the hills every time I am clicking around YouTube and even a hint of a Kimo von Oelhoffen or Jeremy Hill fumble or Vontaze Burfict missile tackle to a Pittsburgh Steeler is visible. I bear the scars of this franchise, and that is extraordinarily cheesy. Imagine trying to explain to someone who doesn't care about American football that I was emotionally wrecked for weeks because a team I cannot control lost a game. They're gonna think I'm the king of the cheese, and they're right.

Now I'm the king of the jungle, and I will treat my throne with reverence.

I think it's going to work too, at least well enough to collide a legitimate stadium environment of intense fan enthusiasm with a team that can be very good under the leadership of a great quarterback. The social media team has been killing it, and we've all seen that the last couple of years. This means less to the old fogeys, among whom I even count myself at this point, who are jaded by all the years of failure. Younger people who use Instagram don't give a rat's ass about Dave Schula or Lumina Drama or even the Palmer era (outside some choice Chad celebrations, perhaps). They do give a rat's ass about Super Bowls XVI and XXIIII, and about our founder being the most innovative coach of all time. They do give a rat's ass about the no huddle, and the poorly-named west coast offense, and about Ken Anderson being a Hall of Fame snub. They do give a rat's ass about the Bengals laying claim to the greatest offensive lineman to ever play the game. There is plenty of pride to be had here for those who are willing to show some. And if it happens, it will benefit the team on the field. Culture is everywhere, including in the stands and around the city.

After today.  I’m convinced it’s more Brown family slapping on a thin layer of cheap paint vs making great changes. 
 

Fire Liz and hire a real entertainment executive to run things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way they leave the Bengal stage unguarded…..so if that don’t change get used to seeing opposing fans overtake the “jungle”

Just a fucking joke all the way around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was fun. The fans weren’t super engaged, but it was the first time and preseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×