Chargers @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

I believe Bosa rushes a lot against a RTs.  Going from memory. 

If Williams is good as it appears in TC that allows slide protection towards the right to help Hart which leaves Williams on an Island.  

I expect Chargers to do everything to get pressure on Burrow.  

By default having a young QB, I’m greatly in favor of getting Mixon going early.  Keep him in manageable situations.

Also Burrow is thousand times better at RPO action than Dalton.  That holds pursuit.   Should benefit Mixon. 

I'm wondering if the expectations of Bengaldom will be a factor, too much expectation, too much pressure to make a big play especially if we trail in the game ??

That being said we shall all be sat around the TV on Sunday evening, shirts on, beers in hand, cheering on every Bengals play as we always do.

WHO DEY BABY YEEEEEAH !!!!!!

Don’t think I have much of ANY expectation for this season, with the exception of seeing them simply improve from last year.

Now if we are talking about big “surprises”, then I would go with not only a winning season but the playoffs. THAT would be a minor miracle in my book.

Yea, I will be rooting for that minor miracle !!

I always like to snoop around on the forums of our opponents to see what the buzz is. Here's one:

https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum/forum/los-angeles-chargers-forum-nfl-forum-padres-forum/the-los-angeles-chargers-forum/1062496-gus-bradley-meet-joe-burrow-bolts-vs-bengals-discussion

I wouldn't say there are any surprises. Basically, they seem to think very highly of their own defense, particularly the pass rush, and are eager to see it against the Bengals' offensive line and a rookie quarterback. That's all fair, and we'd probably feel the same way in their position. There is a tendency I think though to underestimate the skill position talent in Cincinnati, and they don't seem aware of the offseason defensive overhaul.

It'd be lovely to introduce them to Tyler Boyd on some infuriating 3rd and long conversions.

• Like 1

I will say it again. The Bengals made improvements at all three levels of the defense with Reader, Bynes, and Bell. Couple that with other free agent pick ups and the draft and we we’ll see a pretty good jump from our defense.

Yes, concerned about the o-line, but my guess is that Burrow fares well and agree that others downplay our offensive skill positions that I think are very good.

Bengals win this game.

IMO,  with the under cutting of two a days and padded practices with the last CBA the quality of September football has been BAD.    It seems it takes them a two/three regular seaons games hit stride.

Last year is a perfect example:  A very bad Bengals team should have/could have won on the road in Seattle (playoff team).   

With Lapham suggesting that they did not tackle in training camp it's going to be interesting.   Has anyone had a clue about what the Chargers did during TC? 

Yeah, they were. But you can be forgiven for not being sure, no one watched. Apparently it was the lowest rated HK ever

I expect the first couple-three weeks of the season will feature some pretty terrible football Until the guys play their way into shape and rhythm. Anyone left from the 90s probably remembers how this was standard for the Bengals. Their camps would be easy and prep lackadaisical and they’d look like ca-ca for the first month. This year it will just be most teams.

45 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, they were. But you can be forgiven for not being sure, no one watched. Apparently it was the lowest rated HK ever

I expect the first couple-three weeks of the season will feature some pretty terrible football Until the guys play their way into shape and rhythm. Anyone left from the 90s probably remembers how this was standard for the Bengals. Their camps would be easy and prep lackadaisical and they’d look like ca-ca for the first month. This year it will just be most teams.

Yes the infamous "fat" field at Georgetown or Wilmington.   They'd have players on that thing for a weeks as the got themselves in enough shape so they could practice. 

• Like 1

The Bosa/Hart matchup is the stuff of nightmares for a rookie QB who hasn't had any live game experience with no preseason. I expect, of course, for games to be sloppy this year, at least for a few weeks.  I'm not sure we'll see the real Burrow either for a while due to this.  I'd also "expect" a slow start for this team, the HC hasn't proven he can do anything yet for one, but with all the new players in key positions,  I don't really know what to expect.  At least they're playing a team similar in talent level they can beat if they play well enough.

I just want to see THIS team play.  It's been a while since i've been able to say that.

Burrow and the WR corps, including Higgins.
Reader on the d-line, the revamped linebacking corps, Vonn Bell in stripes with other additions.

It might go south, but there is clearly effort being placed on improving.
I can live with that.