General Training Camp Thread

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Hey if you find it valuable, great. I’m just not interestEd in giving money to a “business” whose model explicitly involves destroying local newspapers and something like four years on still isn’t profitable on its own and only exists because it’s being floated by continued infusions of venture capital. 

The Enquirer turned into dogshit years ago and is paywalled but still smothers you in ads. It blows. Athletic is adfree and the content is suerplative. Both local and national. I don't mind paying for quality. I used to get a newspaper, now I get the Athletic. Not sure why the latter should be free. It costs to cover sports. 

So there’s a radio blurb from Colin Cowherd concerning Tua not going to start over Fitz AND how wonderful that is.

Because this is supposed hard year for a rookie QB.  

We’ll see how long that narrative lasts.   My guess is IF Burrow struggles it’s the Bengals fault not the difficult circumstances.   

Man alive are Morrison and Hobs gushing over Burrow's day today. Here's Morrison's piece in the Athletic:

It was technically just another practice in the ramp-up to the regular season, but don’t tell Bengals tight end C.J. Uzomah there was nothing on the line Monday when the final period of 11s was a two-minute drill in which the simulation called for the offense needing a touchdown to win.

“We don’t want to hear the defense talking crap the rest of the day, because it’s the last period,” Uzomah said. “We know the defense is going to jaw the entire rest of the day. We have tomorrow off, and I don’t want to hear their voices, so we treated that like, ‘let’s go win this.’”

On a day devoted to a lot of no-huddle work with both Joe Burrow and Ryan Finley making many checks and changing plays at the line of scrimmage, Burrow upped his adjustment game in the huddle before the two-minute drive started.

He didn’t just tell his offensive teammates what they were going to do, he predicted what the defense was going to do and let everyone know ahead of time the checks he was going to make.

“He said, ‘we’re going to do this real quick and see what happens, and then I will check us in and out of this play if we need to,'” Uzomah said. “I think we executed pretty flawlessly going down the stretch and knowing we needed a touchdown.”

They needed a touchdown to avoid hearing about it from the defense for 36 hours.

They didn’t need a touchdown on fourth and six from the defense’s 27-yard line. There were still 28 seconds on the clock and two timeouts in their pocket. But that didn’t stop Burrow from going for it all on the do-or-die play.

Despite decent coverage from cornerback Darius Phillips and safety Jessie Bates closing from the center of the field, Burrow dropped a pass far enough beyond Phillips that only wide receiver Auden Tate could get with some extension.

Tate made the catch at the pylon between Phillips and Bates, and Burrow checked another box and cashed another check, winning the game and the further approval of his teammates.

“He’s a beast,” Uzomah said of Burrow. “He’s an absolute beast. He’s an animal out there. You see college. You see what’s going on, you watch him beat your alma mater (Auburn), and do so in convincing fashion and you’re like, ‘Dang, this sucks.’ But he’s that guy.

“He’s making all the right reads,” Uzomah continued. “He’s getting us in and out of all the right protections and making all the right checks. And certain checks, I didn’t even know we were allowed to check into. He’s like, ‘Why not? Go out there and do this. Come in here and do this.’ It’s been a lot of fun, honestly. It’s been a lot of fun to build a relationship with him, to build that chemistry with him and see how he operates and how he wants certain routes on certain coverages. He’s the real deal, I will say that.”

The fourth-and-six play specifically and the whole two-minute drive, on which Burrow was 5 of 6 for 81 yards, were the lasting impressions. But they were just a small portion of what the rookie quarterback did on a day where the coaches handed him the keys to the playbook and tested his mental ability as much as his physical skills.

Uzomah just shakes his head when he thinks about how far along Burrow is reading defenses and changing play calls after just a couple of weeks of on-field practices.

“I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting it, at least to the extent of what is going on,” he said. “I think just the normal check in and out of it – it’s an under front or an over front, two high, single high, their blitz – those are different than the checks that he’s making. I’m like, ‘Dang, he can see that right now?’ That is very impressive. I’m very impressed with the strides and the progress he’s made in such a short amount of time.”

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I hope his dad is ok. This story sounds all kinds of screwed up.

Alexander is quickly becoming a favorite and it has nothing to do with football.
Dude leaves camp to go looking for his missing father and confronts the guy who simply left him out there.
That guy better have a good answer for leaving my father out there by himself.
If not, they would be pulling me out of jail as well.

Hope this has a positive ending, but it looks bleak.

• Like 1

The two weeks of practice being open to the media are over. Now the beat writers just get the usual 30 minutes at the start of practice (the stretching and light warm-up portion) and then have to clear out. So whatever information has been available from on-site observation is about to dry up. 

So if the Vikings end up releasing Riley Reiff, LT do you claim him off waivers for 11mil this year and 11.75mil next to add to the line ?? Or does that contract end upon his release ??

The talk is he will be released because he won’t take a pay cut. Then if so, who moves to RT ??

Maybe it’s just a pipe dream...